Boogers...

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
What is the fascination with the booger eating?! Both my kids do it with no shame whatsoever, no matter what we say to them!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Yeah, Aiden was my snot eater also.....and hands constantly in his pants kid. I have no clue what the draw is for them. Now I've caught Kailyn doing it a time or two but so far she isn't bad...so far lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
well...kids are a product of their environment....;-)

and my little one has his hands in his pants constantly, I think of "Al Bundy" whenever I see him do it. Last night he water a shower instead of a bath, I got it started for him, lathered him up and then left him in to rinse, I went to shut off the water and her asked to stay longer, that it felt good...of course most of the spray was in his "private square." I don't mind him "exploring" but we've had some talks about appropriate places.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Try volunteering in a kindergarten class. Dozens of children just chowing down on them... oh so gross! I always take them aside privately and mention that boogars have germs and will make you sick, and direct them to get a tissue for disposing of them. But most of them forget and start eating them up like candy again. They also suck on the tips of shared pencils, pens, markers, whatever. I just know they're all going to get each other sick... which is why they always have runny noses to snack on.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
akmom said:
Try volunteering in a kindergarten class. Dozens of children just chowing down on them... oh so gross! I always take them aside privately and mention that boogars have germs and will make you sick, and direct them to get a tissue for disposing of them. But most of them forget and start eating them up like candy again. They also suck on the tips of shared pencils, pens, markers, whatever. I just know they're all going to get each other sick... which is why they always have runny noses to snack on.
interesting spin on "the circle of life" there.

Well, just think of all the great antibodies they have if they survive Kindergarten.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol!! Ewwww. I don't know what it is with ODS, but he seriously will not pick his nose at all! Or at least, I don't see him do it. I usually end up having to do it for him because he will like, get build up lol. I would never catch him eating them, let alone picking them in the first place. Seriously, I have literally told him that he SHOULD get a tissue and pick his nose sometimes! I would be thrilled lol.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I heard something a few years ago saying that kids who eat boogers have stronger immune systems. I don't know if it's true or not, and I can't find any reliable references from a Google search.

The general advice out there seems to be (at least for toddlers and pre-schoolers) to leave the subject alone and not try to stop the kids, because it's basically futile to try to get them not to do it at that age. My oldest used to, but I haven't noticed her doing it for a while. My youngest has done occasionally, but won't eat them - she prefers to hand them to me!

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
akmom said:
Do they chow on each-other's boogars? :yikes:

Because aside from this, our noses are connected to our throat, so technically, there is nothing new happening here. If the germs were in your nose, they were already in your system... Just saying...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Quote from my dad.

"You can pick your friends"

"You can pick your nose"

"You cant pick your friends nose"

Why did he tell me that? IDK
What does it mean? IDK

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
If a parent is concerned about booger eating, then they should get surgeon to close those holes that allow the nose to drain into the throat.

I have an old Yoga book that show a yogi cleaning those passages by running a long thin cloth in his mouth and out his nose and to clean the nasal passages. It called neti. We should all teach our kids to do that.

If I find a parent who just waits till peer pressure causes their kids to give up booger eating, I call child protective services immediately.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
tadamsmar said:
If a parent is concerned about booger eating, then they should get surgeon to close those holes that allow the nose to drain into the throat.

I have an old Yoga book that show a yogi cleaning those passages by running a long thin cloth in his mouth and out his nose and to clean the nasal passages. It called neti. We should all teach our kids to do that.

If I find a parent who just waits till peer pressure causes their kids to give up booger eating, I call child protective services immediately.
I'm trying to figure out whether you're joking about these things. I sure hope so.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
tadamsmar said:

...PROTECT OUR CHILDREN FROM THE EVIL BOOGERS!

Ok but kidding aside...I'd like to know your side of the conversation when you call Child Protective Services...could you please share?

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
When I call CPS, end up saying "What do you mean you don't protect children whose parents let them eat boogers?! I am going to write the town council, the mayor, my state reps, the Govenor, my congressman, my senators, the President, the UN Secretary General, the Pope, and Oprah!"

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
tadamsmar said:
When I call CPS, end up saying "What do you mean you don't protect children whose parents let them eat boogers?! I am going to write the town council, the mayor, my state reps, the Govenor, my congressman, my senators, the President, the UN Secretary General, the Pope, and Oprah!"
and not the surgeon general?

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
Ha ha ha, this thread had me laugh out loud for real !!

My daughter was eating hers too for a while, I think she stopped now.. in french we call boogers "crottes de nez" which loosely translates to "nose crap".

At some point I made her realize why we call it that, what it really is... I think she got the point ! Or at least now she hides better to do it ! :D