Cloth diapers?...

debsydoodle

May 28, 2008
Anybody here use or have used cloth diapers recently? I know the newer ones are much easier to use than the old fashioned ones, with the velcro and all. I'd like to start off with them. Any brands better than others in terms of fit and comfort?

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I don't use cloth diapers and instead choose to kill the planet, but here's a link to a long thread on the subject: link. HTH. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
The planet will always take care of itself and the planet made plastic.
I didn't use cloth because putting urine or feces in my washer kinda grossed me out.
I wish I didn't think that way because it would have saved me a fortune!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
that link will help you. If you have specific questions feel free to ask. I did cloth diaper and loved it!!!

MM: I am sure there is still feces and urine and puke in your washer and some point as well. lol

as far as faves go, I preferred swaddlbees. They are very trim

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Kaytee said:
MM: I am sure there is still feces and urine and puke in your washer and some point as well. lol
lol When my puppy was housetraining she peed on the floor and I wiped it up with a towel and put it in the washer to clean and my mom told me to throw it out because she didn't want to run that through the washer..but yet my brother wets the bed and still has the same sheets! Wonder how those are getting clean? :wub: lol

debsydoodle

May 28, 2008
OP here--
I'm also interested in saving $$! Truth is, even if I only use them for the first few months it's not so bad as far as dirty goes, since I breastfeed and it's not bad till the baby eats real food.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Kissaluvs!!! They are wonderful and not too pricey. I get mine from wildflowerdiapers.com. Don't forget boosters and a cover. If you buy prefold or flats, get something like the Snappies, the first time you stick tender baby skin with those pins you will hate yourself!

I have had a wonderful experience with cloth, obviously. And my son love them. PLus he never gets diaper rash when he is in them. FWIW, I use a dry diaper bucket in the bathroom with a lid, and I have never had an issue with smells.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
Not in my washer hun. Those can go to the cleaners.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
ivybendorf said:
FWIW, I use a dry diaper bucket in the bathroom with a lid, and I have never had an issue with smells.
That was my next big question: What type of diaper pail/bucket to use? wet or dry? If wet, do I just use water or add something to it?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I had a dry and a wet.
The wet I just filled with a bit of water and put it in the laundry room. I would flush the poop down the toilet and put the dipaer in there. For pee I just put them in the "dirty" diaper basket.
Then when it was time to wash just dumped it in the washer. I washed mine on cold once then hot once.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
What about putting a cup of vinegar in with the diapers to take out any residual smell?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
that works too. I never had an issue with smell, but if they are that stinky, vinager would probably be a good idea

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Vinegar would irritate baby bums if it didn't wash out all the way. I used a little it of baking soda at the bottom of the bucket. I rinsed the BMs in the toliet, and then everything got thrown in the bucket until the end of the day they got a cold cycle and a warm cycle.

Rybaby8304

Oct 18, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have used cloth diapers for almost a year now and love them I use a brand called Droopy Drawers I found them on e-bay they work really well for me I even have my baby in themreat and they are sold really cheap compared to other brands and work great! I am always up for suggestions on new brands though!
Kimberly

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I actually started cloth diapering right after I made this post. I love it now. I have never heard of Droopy Drawers and I was told to stay away from ebay when it came to diapers so I never went there. I think my favorites have got to be my Haute pockets or just my prefolds with fleece or wool soakers.
Look at me I actually know what I am talking about now, lol.