Clothes and dancing...

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Since we come from different continents, I believe there is some confusion.

The part of argument here that personally annoys me is that in our day and age people think that females' freedom (to wear whats comfortable) should be restricted "until further notice". Theres never an argument that a male is too young to wear something "sexy".

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Not to sound sexist or anything. But I really think there is a very different dynamic between boys and girls. This may have changed a little since I was a youngun. But boys dont talk about clothes and compare them the way girls do. If I ever had a bud say "he Bryan that shirt looks really good on you" I would have either fought him or crapped my pants. "He Bryan those are some hot looking shoes" Well you get the picture. Girls talk about that kind of stuff. It for the most part: off limits for boys. So we were all guessing.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I don't see the problem with tank tops or spaghetti straps. My child's school doesn't ban them. They do ban halter tops, though I don't see the problem; it's just another way to hang a shirt from the body. My daughter has a few of these shirts for the occasional hot summer day. I can see a problem with children wearing midriffs or bare shoulders, since entire areas are missing coverage, but I haven't seen such things marketed for kids anyway. Aside from vulgar slogans, I think clothing decisions should just be practical for the weather. Which means that Muslim garb would be appropriate here - much more so than the middle east, anyway.

And as far as inappropriate boys clothing, I think that comes in the form of pants that are so baggy they fall off the butt. It's not just girls attire that can look trashy!

What are pointed ears? I've never heard of that as a cosmetic alteration.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
akmom said:
What are pointed ears? I've never heard of that as a cosmetic alteration.

They're the ones I could find on google that are closest to mine. Some people do really drastic elf ones, but mine are only slight like these ones.

They break the cartilage, then re-shape it to point upwards, then stitch it back together.

PandoraSpocks

PF Regular
Dec 22, 2012
I went to a private Fundamentalist Evangelical Protestant Christian school, where most popular music was frowned on, as well as all dancing. Apparantly it would give us bad ideas and bad urges. Hogwash!

Going through 12 years of that heavy handed censorship caused nothing more than my friends and myself to see that music is nothing more than music. Background noise. It's not a plan for how to live your life or how to spend your night. Dancing is nothing more than moving to the music and not an invitation to sex.

I don't like a lot of the new music but I like some of it. I pretty much loathe the new dance music, but oddly enough I like Gangsta Rap. For real, I do. I didn't at first but my oldest son (23 now) would listen to it and I started sort of liking it. I burned some CD's for myself to listen to in the car.

I mainly like classic rock, new age, a HUGE Loreena McKinnett fan (I have everything she's done), classical, early 60's "mambo" type music, show tunes, crooners, 90's alternative, and some bluegrass instrumentals. But I also like gangsta rap. I don't know why. I just do. I've never "shot a n**** in the face with my tek 9" after I "made him gimme the dope out the safe" then told the cops to "bring ya helicopters and ya f***** german shepherds" nor have I ever had the urge to, but I like that song (yes, it's an old one but I like the newer ones too).

It's just music. My kids listen to whatever they like, and if there are some questionable type lyrics that we actually understand pronounced when listening to, someone usually makes a comment like "I bet THAT worked out great for him, huh?" in a sarcastic manner. In other words, we know we are listening to people sing about stupid choices they made.

The song "Slow Motion" by Third Eye Blind is all about some serious bad choices. The whole song goes into how the guys little sister eats paint chips and has brain damage from it, how his neighbor beats his wife, how he shot his English teachers son for oweing him money, how he shoots up heroin, how he has sex with a girl then snorts cocaine he's cut with Drano. Then in the final line, the singer says that he just sings all that stuff because they pay him and he needs the money and basically poses the question to people who actually do that kind of thing "Whats your excuse? The jokes on you!"

Thats it in a nutshell. It's just music. They are just singing about stuff. At the moment, bad choices in life is what entertains folks. When you were young did you ever watch "Less Than Zero?" I did. All about bad choices. Lots of movies were. "Rivers Edge", we watched that too, didn't we? It didn't turn any of us into those kind of people (if you don't count Robert Downey Jr)

When it comes to dancing, I like to dance. I like to know the new dances. I'm 48 and a grandma, but I can do the "Apple Bottom Jeans" dance. It's a LOT harder than it looks. Trust me, nobody is thinking about sex while doing that. Or while "dropping it" on the dance floor. You are thinking about where your feet are and maintaining you balance and wondering which way your partner is going to go next, so you can be in the right spot. You may be breathless afterwards, but it's not from lust and desire, it's from exertion.

Tank tops are worn all over the place here in Southwest Alabama from Spring till Fall. Spaghetti strap ones. My girls get the ones with the bra things in them. I have a few that I wear myself.

I've always let my kids wear whatever they wanted to unless it was tacky, and in that case I told them it was tacky and they couldn't wear it because it was tacky. Looking like a hooker falls under tacky. My girls are 16 and 19. When they were 11 and 12 they mainly wanted to just wear jeans and tshirts because thats what every other girl wore. One of mine is a perky cheerleader "fashion conscious" (the older one) and the younger one is a happy goth type. She's a metal goth though, and not the Victorian goth or even Steampunk goth that I would have preferred, but it's up to her what her style is.

So, thats my view on this.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I think if I were to have surgery. I would add an eye to the back of my head. That would be both cool and useful.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
You would have to come up with a snazzy hairstyle to accommodate it though.

What if your backwards eye needs glasses? Now THAT I would like to see.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I dont think my hairstyle is going to be an issue;)

I would have to wear a safety glass for work.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
You know what would be better than an eye at the back of your head?

360 degree vision. A line of eyes all the way around your head.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Perhaps I should clarify my position.

When I said I would allow her to wear them, I meant while going out - whether that is to school, or when she is with a friend and I know said friend's parent will take them out - basically anywhere she is not under my personal supervision.

Here's the thing:

1 in 4 girls get sexually assaulted before they reach 18. And that's not SA stats, that is international stats. Think about it - next time your daughter has three friends over, take a good look at them - the chances are pretty good that one of them have been molested. If that doesn't scare the crap out of you, something is wrong. While we all know that rape is not about sex, but about violence and domination, pedophilia is different. I'm not talking sadistic creeps who molest children simply because they can, I'm talking true pedophilia where adults believe that they fall in love and have mutually consensual sexual relationship with children. It's a sickening thought, but that is a form of child molestation that is very much about sex. I will NOT expose my daughter to even the slightest preventable risk of falling victim to such a person (and I use the term "person" loosely...). Call me paranoid all you want. I'd rather be the paranoid, over-protective father than the father of a victim of molestation.

That said, my daughter has tops and dresses with spaghetti straps, etc. She wears them at home, at the home of a friend whose parents I trust, etc. Plus they fit loosely. There is no need for stretchy, form-fitting clothes at 6. Really, they're no less warm than loose-fitting clothes - quite the contrary. As she gets older and more capable of taking care of herself, that rule will change. I hope that by the time she is 18, I will not need to give much, or even any input into her clothing choices.

Neway

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2012
Australia
cybele said:
You know what would be better than an eye at the back of your head?

360 degree vision. A line of eyes all the way around your head.
And while you're at it, one on the butt for when bending over and unable to use the ones on the head......lol.

Neway

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2012
Australia
singledad said:
I will NOT expose my daughter to even the slightest preventable risk of falling victim to such a person (and I use the term "person" loosely...). Call me paranoid all you want. I'd rather be the paranoid, over-protective father than the father of a victim of molestation.
I think that the one thing that is often overlooked in the whole pedophilia conversation, is that they don't really care what the girl wears, a pedophile attracted to young girls will find a young girl attractive....no matter what.

And much like men that are attracted to grown women, what each one finds attractive is different. For example, my husband likes me in shorts and tshirts, yet my best friends husband likes her in long flowy dresses, a male friend of mine finds his wife the sexiest when she's wearing her horse-riding gear. One pedophile might like girls that wear pretty party dresses, another might like school uniforms (Ever wondered about the men that like their wives and girlfriends to dress up as schoolgirls? I sure as hell have!) others like sundresses and so on and so on.

Most of them though, really don't give a damn what the child is wearing. It's more about how "receptive and groomable" and how likely the child is to keep quiet. And like normal men, it's what's under the clothes that really gets them excited.

One might even argue that the more a young girl looks like a woman, the less likely they are to be attractive to a pedophile.

I think it's interesting that this thread is focused so much on girls.... young boys are sexually abused as well, yet we don't worry about what clothes they are wearing. Both of my sons prefer to wear sleeveless T's does that mean they are more likely to be sexually abused because their shoulders are showing than a boy wearing a button up long sleeve shirt?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Neway said:
I think it's interesting that this thread is focused so much on girls.... young boys are sexually abused as well, yet we don't worry about what clothes they are wearing. Both of my sons prefer to wear sleeveless T's does that mean they are more likely to be sexually abused because their shoulders are showing than a boy wearing a button up long sleeve shirt?
I've noticed that too... it is a little scary, granted. Yes - the stats for boys isn't far behind girls - 1 in 6.

What is also interesting is that I've never seen clothes for little boys that made me go WTF... I've never seen a little boy in skin-tight pants, for starters. Granted, I don't have a little boy so I don't exactly frequent the boys' section in clothing stores. All I have to go on is the boys who are friends with my DD, and the worst I can say about their clothes is that some of their parents seem happy to spend ridiculous amounts of money on it. (But then again, if you can afford it and you enjoy dressing your 6-year-old in Levi and Nike that will be too small in 3-4 months, go ahead - knock yourself out. There probably isn't any real harm in it, apart from what is done to your bank account. :rolleyes: )

As for pedophiles and the way children dress - you raise a good point. Yes. I really don't have a come-back for that. And that scares me even more because it makes me doubt one tool that I told myself can help keep my little girl safe...