Clothes and dancing...

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
I work for a very popular "tween" clothing store.
I seriously haven't found one inappropriate item of clothing.
Like all the skirts look like they at least come to mid thigh, we sell nothing even remotely midriff and this is that glittery, sparkly, little girls store that is always 40% off. I don't get what people are talking about when they say kids clothing is skimpy, it covers the important stuff and then some.

What pisses me off most is when people get angry that stores like Hollister or American Eagle sell clothes small enough for their 10 or 11 year old to wear.....

SERIOUSLY I am 5'3'' and a size 00-0, I weigh no more than like 113, I am the size of most middle schoolers. (Yes I lost weight.)
That is why older store sell super small sizes.
Am I supposed to wear clothes from the store I work at and the store for my ages stop selling clothes that small?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Actually, I think that is an interesting point Cop2be.

Just because a "tween" CAN fit into the smaller size of adults clothes, doesn't mean they are designed for them.

We have three stores here called "Forever New" "Supre" and "Dotti" which are teen-adult stores, NOT tweens or children, however, one of their big selling points is that their clothes run small into 6's and 4's (which I believe are our equivalent to 0 and 00) I am a 4 on top and a 6 on the bottom, usually, sometimes an 8 if I want something baggy. The vast majority of stores here start at an 8 (size 2) for adults.

I like Supre for my basics (they're really not good quality so I don't buy too much from there) Dotti is good for jeans, and if I want a nice dress to to a wedding or somewhere nice, my only choice is Forever New, or I guess i could buy a children's formal dress, but I am 41 years old and I don't want to. So I get irked when someone starts up with the "WHY ARE THEY SELLING KIDS SIZES THEY ARE TURNING LITTLE GIRLS INTO ADULTS THIS IS DISGUSTING" well no, they aren't. None of their advertising involves little girls, they don't advertise in kids magazines, they don't advertise during kids TV shows, I think it is safe to say that no, they do not have children as their target audience.

If your child can fit into smaller adult sizes and is interested in adult stores then you need to regulate their clothing purchases, it has nothing to do with the stores and everything to do with the parents.

Unless you want adults who wear small sizes to run around naked, of course.

(Here's some unwanted information, I also wear a AA cup bra, which everyone seems to hate the existence of because so many people can't seem to grasp the fact that they are not designed for children, I am an adult, if I want a nice pretty bra, or hey a "sexy" one then I should be able to buy one. Or am I supposed to buy a Barbie training bra instead?)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
cybele said:
6's and 4's (which I believe are our equivalent to 0 and 00) I am a 4 on top and a 6 on the bottom, usually, sometimes an 8 if I want something baggy. The vast majority of stores here start at an 8 (size 2) for adults.
:wacko:

And this is why we should only buy are women jewelry. Chicks just have to make everything soooo complicated.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Shoes also make me laugh. I have never said to my bud's. "yeah she's hot: But did you see her shoes?"

When I was a teen it was bad to be caught in a new pair of shoes. The more wore out they looked the better. Now these kids are getting sneakers worth a couple hundred bucks and have a dozen different styles.

I have work boots, Funeral shoes, Tennis shoe's, And croc's. Of those the only thing I have worn in the last two months were the work boots. And they are three years old.

But I think I have you beat on Shoe Sizes. My left foot is a 12, 1/2 USA and my right is a 8, 1/2 to 9 USA. So anytime I get shoe's it my cost is twice as much as anyone else. For a decent pair of work boots I am plunking down over $300 bucks. That is just a mediocre comfortable pair.

That reminds me I gotta find some new boots :)

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I like that you specifically have funeral shoes.

I have 4 pairs of workboots alone. I have to match them to what I'm wearing, of course.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
bssage said:
Shoes also make me laugh. I have never said to my bud's. "yeah she's hot: But did you see her shoes?"
LOL!

Come to think about it, I don't know if I've ever said something like that, but I may have thought it... Sorry ladies, I know they're uncomfortable, but stilettos are seriously sexy. Especially if they're attached to boots :yes:

As for me... meh. I've got two pairs of work shoes (brown and black) a pair of flip-flops and a pair of walking shoes that I wear everywhere. They're kind beat up by now, but I don't really care. They're comfortable :p

Oh, and running shoes. I think I spend more on running shoes than on all other shoes combined...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Ugh, I am not a fan of shoes. I have a 'good' pair of tennis shoes. Then my outside ones, which I have had for about 4 years now, a pair of regular boots that I never wear and my favorite pair is my -32 boots. Oh in the winter I wear them all day, everyday and I have had them for almost 3 years. Oh and a pair of Hello Kitty flip flops.

I can not wear hills to save my life, well I could but I look like a 2 year old playing dress-up, and there is nothing classy about falling down.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'm not too bad in heels, but I have to wear flats in and out of the house and bring heels with me, because we have a sloping incline from our driveway to our house with a stone staircase. I have falling down there one too many times.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
singledad said:
They're all over the place here - Skirts so short they barely cover the important bits. Skimpy, mid-rif revealing tops. String bikinis. etc, etc. All in sizes for pre-school and primary school kids.

Its disturbing, I tell you.

(And don't get me started in those little bras in sizes that would fit a girl who won't need them for at least 5-10 more years... :eek:)

Fortunately my DD hasn't developed a taste for that yet (phew!)
Please don't get me started on sizes.

I am the size of most 14/15 year olds.
I am 5'3'', 110 and a size zero.

There are probably some 12 year olds who can wear the same size as me, should stores not sell bikinis in that size because some children can fit into them and might buy them?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think he meant clothes AIMED at kids.

I'm a US 0 too, but I kniw the difference between taking your 'tween' into the adult's section and finding clothes made for adults that happen to fit, and going into the kids section and finding shorts with "sexy" on the butt that can fit a 5yr old next to a tshirt with Dora the explorer on it.

The 'I'm a small adult' argument is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
cybele said:
I think he meant clothes AIMED at kids.

I'm a US 0 too, but I kniw the difference between taking your 'tween' into the adult's section and finding clothes made for adults that happen to fit, and going into the kids section and finding shorts with "sexy" on the butt that can fit a 5yr old next to a tshirt with Dora the explorer on it.

The 'I'm a small adult' argument is completely irrelevant.
Please show me a store with children's underwear with "sexy" written on the butt.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Cop2Be - Cybele is right. This isn't about small sizes. This is about sexy clothes that hang among the disney-princess t-shirts and Barbie jeans. If you want photos, I'll go take some and post it, but really, ask yourself - why would we make this up? :confused:

VeggieMomma

PF Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2012
Homosassa, FL
I agree; seeing young girls dress as grown women is scary.. Im 21 and I have seen girls who are 12 wearing more revealing outfits then I EVER have. My daughter will not be dressed that way... My 12 year old sister isn't allowed to wear tank tops alone (without something over them,) bikinis, or even more shorts that are sold in the average shop in the mall or even walmart... It's scary to see how society is making young girls believe that the only way to beauty is through showing some skin :-/

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Cop2be said:
Please show me a store with children's underwear with "sexy" written on the butt.
Well, I actually said "shorts" not underwear, but whilst I consider myself to be fairly lax about what my kids wear, I draw the line at the following:

http://shop.cottonon.com/shop/product/kyra-bikini-pale-pink-fine-stripe/[/url]
(I don't know how well the sizes translate between countries, but this won't fit any bigger than a 5yr old, my 5yr old is in size 7 already)

http://www.bardot.com.au/Leopard-Short.aspx?p428351&amp;cr=052102[/url]
Leopard print hotpants for your 3-6yr old?

http://www.bardot.com.au/Sequin-Skirt.aspx?p425863&amp;cr=052102[/url]
Sequined tube miniskirt for your pre-teen?

I remember when these came out, Sunny wanted them, that didn't happen.
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/shopping/kmart-pulls-disgusting-sleazy-girls-underwear-off-shelves-20111122-1nsag.html[/url]
(they can say "not define what the market is" all they want, it's located with the kids clothes and the sizes start at a kids 10, which would be the size of your average 8 year old, Lux and Sunny have been wearing Girl Xpress brand for years)

And a simple image search brings you all sorts of delights:

In case you cannot tell with the last one, that is a padded bra in children's sizes. As a AA cup, I can safely say that the band on that would not fit me, it is available in children's sizes to give young girls the illusion of having breasts.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Well here in the US I haven't seen any of that stuff.

And a 9/10 here is for 9/10 year olds and up some 12 year olds here can still fit into a 9/10....

I had boobs at 10/11, boobs that could have fit into a cup bra, by 12/13 I had B cup boobs and desperately needed a bra and all my mom would ever give me was a sports bra, I didn't get an actual bra till I was about 13/14 and in 8th grade.

To me I should have had one since I could fit into a cup bra, it wasn't a matter of me growing up too fast, I had boobs and they needed a real bra, to get to almost 14 years old and not have a real bra and NEED one is redick to say the least.

So that bra in a 9/10 is pretty normal when girls who fit in a 9/10 have tiny but there boobs.

And no it is not padded it is just thick.
Would you really want super thin fabric for a childs bra? HELLO NIPPLES.

I have padded bras, I was a C in high school, lost a lot of weight and now my boobs are tiny so my bras are pretty padded to help me cope with my lose of breast size.....that is not padded its just thicker so there are no cold nipple issues or see through issues.

And what's wrong with two pieces on toddlers?
Why does a 1 piece equate with less sexual? Why does is matter at all?

Adults are the ones sexualizing things....

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
VeggieMomma said:
I agree; seeing young girls dress as grown women is scary.. Im 21 and I have seen girls who are 12 wearing more revealing outfits then I EVER have. My daughter will not be dressed that way... My 12 year old sister isn't allowed to wear tank tops alone (without something over them,) bikinis, or even more shorts that are sold in the average shop in the mall or even walmart... It's scary to see how society is making young girls believe that the only way to beauty is through showing some skin :-/
I have never ever once put on a tank top and been like WOW this shows my shoulders hot damn I feel beautiful now and the put on a tshirt and felt ugly...

I wear tank tops by themselves, during the spring and summer, I don't feel more beautiful or more sexy, I feel cooler, its effing hot here and the last thing I want to deal with is sweaty pits, no matter if I have deo on or not, I still get sweaty, so therefore a tank top is worn.

Its not the cut of the fabric its the way its worn and the attitude behind it...

There is nothing worng with tank tops in general unless showing your shoulder is some sin because for some reason someone deemed shoulders as inappropriate to show and apparantly they are sexy... Next time I look at someone shoulders I guess I will deem myself a dirty pervert... :rolleyes:

But if you're just wearing a tank top, nothing wrong with that, if you're going out of your way to look like a hooker then yeah something wrong there.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
You both live on the other side of the pond from me, maybe something is wrong with your countries and for some reason people think americans are terrible.

We're still a pretty prudish county compared to some places...brazil, amsterdam to name a few....

We still have a pretty strong christian movement here with some totally whackadoodle people leading the way....us athiest over here are in the minority. Joel Olsteen, Shirley Phelps Roper, just to name a few of the fundies who plan to take over the world....