Comments/Concerns on the Posting Guidelines for ParentingForums.org...

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
People can read their bad rep? :O I've only given it once but I didn't know they could read it! LOL. Oh well, it was to Foos before I figured out his sense of humor and it just said "inflammatory." maybe instead of bad rep we could have a "report" thing at the bottom of each persons post to report it to the mods if we think it's not necessary?

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I am going to object to a member of this forum being publicly/privately being labeled a pedophile. Suggesting that another parent/person has sex with children is offensive.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I missed a lot here but I will add a few things and try to remember a few of the legitamte questions that were asked.

yes people will know why they are banned, the moderator who did it will leave a message for them. It is up to all 3 mods to decide the action that will be take against members. How we decide is of the concern of the moderators. Sometimes a "warning" ban is put in place, two weeks or what not, other times it will be a permenent ban.

Accusing people of pedophillia is not tolerated as well. Unless their is direct proof or harm to members and that said person does not break any rules of the board they are free to post. Whether you agree or disagree with them is just that.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I am very confused why people take online forums so personally.... Does it really matter, the opinions or comments of people we have never actually MET? I think this is a wonderful place to get advice and chat with other parents, but it is beyond me how so much drama can occur. This is not the first forum I have seen erupt like this. Am I missing something? Is a forum really that important that people can argue like this?

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
ivybendorf said:
I am very confused why people take online forums so personally.... Does it really matter, the opinions or comments of people we have never actually MET? I think this is a wonderful place to get advice and chat with other parents, but it is beyond me how so much drama can occur. This is not the first forum I have seen erupt like this. Am I missing something? Is a forum really that important that people can argue like this?
Ivy,

Kaytee, Fallon, and myself started here when only there was only a few regulars. As of now, Teresa and Trina are the only active remaining members who have been here longer. It was a very peaceful, informative, and fun place until around February. Things started to shift and going in a direction that is not long term healthy for a parenting forum. The key element being "Parenting". If we loose that as the primary reason why people come here, then this forum just becomes a forum for anyone to come hang out, post whatever they please, screw with each other, and let the chip fall where they may.

We have a small group here that has gotten out of hand, and we have read some of the private communications that been passed around (no honor among trolls who get pissed at each other). Those communications contain efforts to undermine the moderators in their attempt to keep this forum focused on parenting. Trolls call it "Fun". We have seen new parents join this forum and get harassed within hours because it is "Fun" to toy around an unsuspecting visitor.

What also is considered "Fun", is to constantly find new fun ways to screw with the moderators and others. This is also done as a group effort, and is planned behind the scenes. They know exactly what they are going to do, but the moderators have to guess.

The vast majority of parents that are here know how to a entertain themselves and do so without being a problem. The moderators have no concern about them what-so-ever. The guidelines we have put into place actually reflect the behavior of nearly parent here, the focus is on those select few who consider it fun to harass and toy with others, and those that lack self control when dealing with those who do not agree with them.

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
huh.. ok.. not accusing anyone but I read at least two long threads when I first joined where it was crystal clear a member (at the very least) had questionable opinions/intentions.. enough where I could see where members might question such a thing.. i know i did. It's a shame if we have to worry about posting pics and talking freely in a parenting forum when we question a users intentions like that (as everyone clearly did and rep displays).
That is a major concern to me. Much more than class clowns.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Normally on forums the moderators are friends and it seems like you go back and forth to being friendly with us to "cop moderator", you can joke with us but we are not allowed back. I love the way Falllon moderates because when she says enough then it's done and over.
We are not children, we are adults. We do talk about parenting but parents are also human beings and need a break from the kids so we come here to stress our concerns and to support others.
I can promise you there is no conspiracy on my end about the moderators. Reading private emails is tacky to say the least (if that is even possible) but you do what you need to.
There should be no seniority on a forum, it's a forum for gawds sake.
Why can't everyone be their own person?
That reminds me....if you want this to be a parenting forum then why do you allow people who cause trouble who are not parents to remain?
Moderating is volenteer posistion it is not a law enforcement job and shouldn't be treated as such in my opinion. Talk to us like we are adults. You are an equal to us not our authority. You give respect you and get respect that's how the world works.
I think the regulars always listen when you say enough is enough.
If we really wanted to talk about anyone on a personal level we all have our own email address and can discuss it there. I can't believe you even think that. Isn't that paranoia?
I guess I missed all of that. I used to think you were talking about me but now I know you're not.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
Normally on forums the moderators are friends and it seems like you go back and forth to being friendly with us to "cop moderator", you can joke with us but we are not allowed back. I love the way Falllon moderates because when she says enough then it's done and over.
We are not children, we are adults. We do talk about parenting but parents are also human beings and need a break from the kids so we come here to stress our concerns and to support others.
I can promise you there is no conspiracy on my end about the moderators. Reading private emails is tacky to say the least (if that is even possible) but you do what you need to.
There should be no seniority on a forum, it's a forum for gawds sake.
Why can't everyone be their own person?
That reminds me....if you want this to be a parenting forum then why do you allow people who cause trouble who are not parents to remain?
Moderating is volenteer posistion it is not a law enforcement job and shouldn't be treated as such in my opinion. Talk to us like we are adults. You are an equal to us not our authority. You give respect you and get respect that's how the world works.
I think the regulars always listen when you say enough is enough.
If we really wanted to talk about anyone on a personal level we all have our own email address and can discuss it there. I can't believe you even think that. Isn't that paranoia?
I guess I missed all of that. I used to think you were talking about me but now I know you're not.
you are right mm, we are constantly going from friends to cops, becuase we give a little and let something slide then it backfires in our face. You are not children and (general you) but for some reason some people are acting very childish. A child would get a warning and stop, adults seem to not listen to warnings well and further actions then must be taken. I am a member of 2 other parenting sites and believe me, this crap would not be tolerated in the slightest at either one of them. People would have been banned with no warnings.
As far as reading private pms, we are not looking into your pms (not sure I could anyways) we are sent pms from posters (some regular some not).

You are right there should senority on this board, but guess what we do it. We allow regulars to cross that line just a tad with a warning to calm down, then they just get worse and worse. I suppose it is best that we stop taking that into consideration and if someone breaks a rule then they should be banned, not considered a "friend" and allowed a warning for the umpteenth time.

I don't think the regulars listen when we say enough is enough, they just reword the post and continue with their games. (again this is general)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
- To someone who I can't recall who complained that the mods were tyrants who banned "Free Speech" from the planet Earth. Well, You're damn right we banned free speech, but is now banned from the galaxy. Don't push it, or we'll make it the universe for next 100 bzillion years.

- Yes, the rumors are true, I steal candy from babies. I confess, it is serious problem and I've been in therapy for the past 10 years.

- I have not had an affair with Natalie Portman, I said <U>wanted</U> to have an affair with Natalie Portman.

- Yes you can still have links in your posts. We're not banning everything, just free speech.

- I know the grass is greener on the other side of the tracks, the mods prefer run down trailer parks.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
LOL, woah, I guess I missed something. I'm sorry you seem upset Jtee :( Hope things look at little better after a good night's sleep :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
jtee said:
- To someone who I can't recall who complained that the mods were tyrants who banned "Free Speech" from the planet Earth. Well, You're damn right we banned free speech, but is now banned from the galaxy. Don't push it, or we'll make it the universe for next 100 bzillion years.

- Yes, the rumors are true, I steal candy from babies. I confess, it is serious problem and I've been in therapy for the past 10 years.

- I have not had an affair with Natalie Portman, I said <U>wanted</U> to have an affair with Natalie Portman.

- Yes you can still have links in your posts. We're not banning everything, just free speech.

- I know the grass is greener on the other side of the tracks, the mods prefer run down trailer parks.
Ok even I am lost but you cracked me up jtee.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm still lost. hahaha I say we hand out a few drinks and everyone chills the heck out and lets get back to a friendly, fun, parenting board. I missed everything (drama) but you can feel tension in the air. I think whatever happend has got way out of hand.