Dane's good? news...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Dane came home yesterday and sat us down. He told us it was good news and he was really excited but he didn't know how we were going to react. :confused: I seriously was expecting the worst. He FINALLY just told us that him and Brittany are engaged! :)

We aren't really sure how we are feeling about this. Don't get me wrong, we're extremely happy for them and you can definately tell they are meant to be together but at the same time...he's only 18.

They've been together since September 2009. She's been friends with him for quite a while, and she has been a huge factor on keeping him drug free. I don't think it would be a lot harder for him if he didn't have her.

Ok, that's it, I'm happy! :jiggy:

They have said they don't want to get married right away, but don't want a really long engagement. They both said that right now they are trying to plan the wedding for the summer or winter of 2012.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I know. I just keep reminding myself that at his age I was married, with a kid and trying for another. Now we've been married for almost 23 years and it's perfect!

I'm really happy for them and know that if anyone can make it it's them.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I think the main reason they are waiting is because her parents have to save up for the wedding. They have a big family (almost as big as ours) so it's probably going to be expensive.

We're actually meeting with them on Saturday to see if we can work something out, cause they really can't afford to pay for EVERYTHING. We kind of want to help out a little.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
I'm going to say congrats, however . . .

I think it's a good thing they're waiting because these days 18 is young to be getting engaged.

Of course I say this as a 26 year old with twins and another one on the way. So, who am I to say they're young?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Congrats - I'd rather see two 18 yos who seem to be committed and level headed about their relationship get married than two 30 year olds who meet in a bar and fly of to Vagas one night....KWIM. It's good that they're waiting til next summer, there's a lot of stuff to think and plan about married life and it seems that wedding take darned near a year to plan even for families with money. I have two younger friends in my band who got married this past year, and they did a lot of simple, very beautiful things, so their wedding didn't cost a fortune, and was very nice, pretty and memorable for them and their guests. Just thinking back to my own wedding prep, I must advise - "It's not about the nut cups."

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Yeah, what they are really trying to figure out right now is where they are going to live.
Dane will be at US Naval Academy and Brittany is going to University of Maryland. They are a little more than 40 minutes away from each other.

There are a couple options right now
1. Get married before the start of freshman year (August 22, 2011) and get Naval Academy married housing (they really don't want to get married that soon)
2. They find an apartment close by, somewhere in between USNA and UM
and live there together. or
3. She stays in the UM dorm room, he stays in USNA dorm room and they see eachother once a week.

They don't want option 3 because they won't be able to see each other but once a week, if that.
They want option 2 but aren't entirely sure where they would live yet.

Dane leaves for USNA on July 3 then he will be here a week before school starts. Then going back on August 20, which is also when Brittany will leave.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Congratulations. My brother and his wife started dating when she was 14 and he was 15. Of course, they didn't get married until they had both finished college and had jobs but they've been married over 20 years now.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Congrat's to them!

I admit my first thought was that they are just to young, but then if I think about it I was married at 18, had my first at 19 and my second at 20. We had a learning curve but it has been well worth it!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww, congratulations!! Yes I would be worried over how young they are too, but young people get married and live happily ever after all the time so I think they have as good of a chance as any! I wish them all the best. :)

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
We had a talk with Dane and made sure they were considering everything and getting married for the right reasons.

He sounds sincere, and so does Brit. We meet with her parents saturday to discuss the options....this is happening very fast lol

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
My bestfriends son is 19 and getting married next month with a baby on the way, it has all been planned in a 2 month period. It's been crazy cause I have a huge roll in getting this thing going and taking pics, doing hair/make-up plus Vanna is the flower girl. I don't think mine was this much work...maybe it was and I have blocked all of that out LOL.

Good luck with the plans!

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
2 months? Holy cow that's a short amount of time! I bet everyone has been super super busy planning for that.

The thought crossed my mind that she may be pregnant but then I remembered that she has made a vow to stay abstinant until marriage. None of his other girlfriends have made this vow (nor has he).
I casually brought it up when they first started dating and that's when he told me about her choice, and I said "how do I know you're telling the truth" his reply..."Do I LOOK happy?!"
Plus, he told me with his other girlfriends (when I asked) so why would he start lying about it now?)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Father_0f_7 said:
2 months? Holy cow that's a short amount of time! I bet everyone has been super super busy planning for that.

The thought crossed my mind that she may be pregnant but then I remembered that she has made a vow to stay abstinant until marriage. None of his other girlfriends have made this vow (nor has he).
I casually brought it up when they first started dating and that's when he told me about her choice, and I said "how do I know you're telling the truth" his reply..."Do I LOOK happy?!"
Plus, he told me with his other girlfriends (when I asked) so why would he start lying about it now?)

Now that's funny, poor boy! Better hurry with the wedding :laugh:.

Yeah 2 months is a short time when they are aiming for a somewhat traditional.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
mom2many said:
My bestfriends son is 19 and getting married next month with a baby on the way, it has all been planned in a 2 month period. It's been crazy cause I have a huge roll in getting this thing going and taking pics, doing hair/make-up plus Vanna is the flower girl. I don't think mine was this much work...maybe it was and I have blocked all of that out LOL.

Good luck with the plans!

wowsers! 2 months!? Are they getting married just because she is expecting? I think its sad when that happens. Marriage is a VERY big commitment, and being rushed into it because of a baby on the way is not the right approach just IMHO. Are they having a big wedding??

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Now that's funny, poor boy! Better hurry with the wedding :laugh:.
I know, I had to do a little "gasp" when I did the math. They started dating September 09. That's a year and a half. That's AT LEAST a year and a half of no sex...I would die.