diaper rash from HELL! Help!...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Oliver woke up 4 times last night screaming because of his butt. It's terrible. He's had really nasty diarreah for about three days and his butt is just so sore he can't hardly walk. :( I'm using a wet wash cloth to wipe and covering him in Desitin. But he keeps pooping!! HELP!!!

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Poor little guy, I wish I knew how to help...all I can remember that my Mom did for us when we had diarrhea is feed us soda crackers (Premium Plus), it worked everytime. But 3 days is pretty extreme, maybe is time for the doctor just in case.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I've been giving him lots of vanilla wafers and crackers but it's still coming out like a faucet. :(

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
back off of the dairy, give him the BRATS diet and then we can take care of the diaper rash.

Nichole used to get God aweful diaper rashes, bleedin gbum rashed!! We tried everything under the sun to get it to go away. Of all the things we tried, Cloth diapers were by far the best!!! As far as creams go (every over the counter we could find and even some 80 buck prescription ones) the truly best one that I found is called London Frogg, Frogg jelly! you can order it on line its the best stuff ever created and the only one I wil use for the next baby.

Other things you can do to help him out.
Wash clothes and warm water to wipe his booty.
Soak in a warm bath
corn starch after you clean him up. It works well to keep it nice and soft.
Also you can take cornstarch and mix it with a bit of water to make a thick paste them lather the boys booty up

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Poor Oliver!

After he poops and you have cleaned his bottom, can you keep the diaper off, not put on any ointment, and for a few minutes lay him on a towel on the floor or let him sit on your lap with his bottom facing away from you? This will allow his bottom to dry out and help the diaper rash heal.

Also, have you tried Triple Paste? It's my understanding that this is better for very bad rashes than Desitin.

Lastly, do you know the cause of the diarrhea? Is it because of an antibiotic? If so, do you give him yogurt with acidophilus? This may help restore his normal gut flora (but some diarrhea caused by stuff other than antibiotics can get worse with dairy).

I agree with Music-Dad that you might consider calling his doc. Waking up screaming 4 times sounds miserable for him and you. Maybe your doc can have some better suggestions.

Get better soon, Oliver!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
There is a stomach bug going around here. The neighbor kids have it too. I was thinking if it gets warm enough outside today I'm just going to let him run around with no clothes on.

We've stopped milk and juice and fruits. Nothing but water and starches for now. We gotta block this kid up!!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I agree with Ari. Yogurt is an excellant idea.
BRAT diet is: Banana's, rice, apple sauce and toast.
Wipeys sometimes burn their bottoms, I always used aquafor because it just seemed nothing penetrated it.
Your dr should be able to call something in that will harden his stool.
I hope he feels better soon. Give him kisses from crazy Sha' ;) ^i^

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'm not sure on what to give him to stop the diarreah, but keep an eye on it. Delaney was the same way and it was Rhoda Virus, and she ended up in the hospital for 3 days with severe dehydration. Make sure he's drinking alot of fluids.

For the rash, the best I've found is Nystatin. It's prescription medication, so you'll have to get it from your doc. Works great!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
sarushjr said:
I'm not sure on what to give him to stop the diarreah, but keep an eye on it. Delaney was the same way and it was Rhoda Virus, and she ended up in the hospital for 3 days with severe dehydration. Make sure he's drinking alot of fluids.

For the rash, the best I've found is Nystatin. It's prescription medication, so you'll have to get it from your doc. Works great!
My son was also hospitalized from the Rota virus, that was sooooooo scary wasn't it? I remember the Nystatin (memories) I think that's what they gave him as well. I never knew how fast a child could dehydrated. wow

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, very scary experience. She was so dehydrated that she had to have the IV put in her head. They couldn't get it in anywhere else.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
That is so sad. Luckily my son had it in his arm. they all caught it several times after that but none ever became dehydrated.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I noticed yesterday that his lips are really chapped. I hope he's not dehydrated. How can I tell?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
That's a sign. Is his mouth dry? When you pinch his skin does it go back down or does it kinda stay in a pinched posistion? Does he cry tears? How much is he taking in(liquids), how many times is he having the poopies?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Among the signs and symptoms that your Pediatrician will look at to determine if your child is dehydrated include: <LIST>

• <LI>
  • the amount of weight loss, which usually correlates to how dehydrated a child is (so 5 percent weight loss likely means that they are 5 percent dehydrated)</LI>
    <LI>
  • how often and how much they are urinating (children with diabetes[/URL] may continue to urinate frequently, even when they are severely dehydrated, so this isn't always a reliable sign)</LI>
    <LI>
  • the presence of tears, a moist mouth and tongue, and whether or not their eyes are sunken</LI>
    <LI>
  • their capillary refill (briefly press on your child's nail bed so that it blanches or turns white, and see how long it takes to return to normal)</LI>
    <LI>
  • skin fold recall or skin turgor test (gently pinch your child's skin on their abdomen, hold it for a few seconds and then let it go to see how long it takes to return to the normal position)</LI>
</LIST>Symptoms of Minimal Dehydration

Most children who are sick, either with a cold or mild stomach bug, will have minimal or no dehydration. These children are alert and appear well and have:
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • normal thirst or may refuse some liquids</LI>
    <LI>
  • a moist mouth and tongue</LI>
    <LI>
  • normal to slightly decreased urine output</LI>
    <LI>
  • less than 3 percent weight loss</LI>
    <LI>
  • normal heart rate, pulses, breathing, and warm extremities</LI>
    <LI>
  • capillary refill less than 2 seconds</LI>
    <LI>
  • instant recoil on skin turgor test</LI>
    <LI>
  • eyes not sunken (and/or fontanel in a baby)</LI>
</LIST>Symptoms of Mild to Moderate Dehydration

Once their dehydration worsens, children may begin to feel tired, restless, and irritable, which makes it difficult to get them to drink more fluids. Other signs and symptoms of mild to moderate dehydration, for which you should usually call your Pediatrician, include:
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • increased thirst</LI>
    <LI>
  • a dry mouth and tongue</LI>
    <LI>
  • decreased urine output</LI>
    <LI>
  • 3 to 9 percent weight loss</LI>
    <LI>
  • normal to increased heart rate and pulses, normal to fast breathing, and cool extremities</LI>
    <LI>
  • capillary refill greater than 2 seconds</LI>
    <LI>
  • recoil on skin turgor test in less than 2 seconds</LI>
    <LI>
  • slightly sunken eyes (and/or fontanel in a baby)</LI>
</LIST>Symptoms of Severe Dehydration

Severe dehydration is a medical emergency and you should seek immediate medical attention. These children appear lethargic (meaning they are difficult to keep awake) or may be unconscious. They also may have:
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • poor drinking or may be unable to drink</LI>
    <LI>
  • a parched mouth and tongue</LI>
    <LI>
  • minimal or no urine output</LI>
    <LI>
  • greater than 9 percent weight loss</LI>
    <LI>
  • increased heart rate, weak pulses, deep breathing, and cool, mottled extremities</LI>
    <LI>
  • capillary refill that is very prolonged or minimal</LI>
    <LI>
  • recoil on skin turgor test in more than 2 seconds</LI>
    <LI>
  • deeply sunken eyes (and/or fontanel in a baby)</LI>
</LIST>

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
That's a sign. Is his mouth dry? When you pinch his skin does it go back down or does it kinda stay in a pinched posistion? Does he cry tears? How much is he taking in(liquids), how many times is he having the poopies?
He was crying last night and there were tears. He hasn't been drinking that much but I've been pushing the fluids. But it seems that everything that goes in comes right out. Yesterday he pooped almost on the hour.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Keep a VERY close eye on it Lissa...it doesn't take long for a kid to become dehydrated. Also, try some gatorade or pedialyte...something that will keep his electrolytes up.