Duggar kid #18!??...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Apparently, the Duggars announced live on the Today Show that they are expecting child number 18 and you can go to the website of their television show to vote on a name: link :err: In an attempt to be kind, I'll just leave it at that.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
That's kinda funny when you think about it. Seems like they really like the fame involved, which is somewhat sad, but acceptable (no harm done...yet).

I can even handle the fact that every child's name starts with J (again, no big deal), but letting the internet decide the name seems rather "detached" and "impersonal". I hope they don't turn this baby's upbringing into a "vote" on the web.

I hope they love all of their children (like we all here love ours), equally and unconditionally...I hope the media will go easy on them, (though they seem to want the attention).

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Don't they blanket train? I'm also not thrilled about the older kids essentially playing "parent" because one mother can't take care of 18 freaking kids by herself.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Cthru said:
I'm still trying to figure out how they do it financially.. I read somewhere they are debt free too!
Me thinks they are sucking the government for all it's worth.

Major tax deductions as well.

Not to metion the money they are getting from media interviews.

ya, they get paid for that...don't kid yourself.

I will bet money, that they have an Agent (or Manager)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
The father used to be a senator or something in the political field. Don't they get paid or something like that for life? I forget how that works. They built their own house. I'm sure lots of people give them money somehow.
Surprisingly all the kids seemed well behaved and she talks so calm. WTH is that?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I think they are amazing. I wish I had their faith, to be able to put everything about their lives in God's hands, and trust Him that fully.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I have mixed feelings on this family...I would like to know how they afford all the kids and the huge beautiful house they live in. All they children are clean, happy, and healthy...but that blanket training thing really creeps me, maybe it isn't as bad as it sounds though...IDK I want to say to each their own but something in me wonders what life is really like for them when the camera's are off

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
They built the house themselves...I think TLC may have donated some of the materials. Both parents have real estate licenses, and Dad used to be in the state legislator, and possibly in Congress. They garden, they make most of their clothes...they are very frugal.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Ok, so I had to google blanket training... what the heck???

<I>They also practice blanket training. Know what that is? It means placing a baby on a blanket and then hitting all around the edge of the blanket with a wooden spoon or a stick as a threat to the baby not to get off the blanket. If the baby tries to crawl off, and it does, baby gets a couple whacks (usually on the back of the legs). </I>

<I>Once baby is "trained", then Mom can leave it there while she talks with others.</I>

My Name is Mommy: The Duggar Debate

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
HappyMomma said:
Ok, so I had to google blanket training... what the heck???

<I>They also practice blanket training. Know what that is? It means placing a baby on a blanket and then hitting all around the edge of the blanket with a wooden spoon or a stick as a threat to the baby not to get off the blanket. If the baby tries to crawl off, and it does, baby gets a couple whacks (usually on the back of the legs). </I>

<I>Once baby is "trained", then Mom can leave it there while she talks with others.</I>

My Name is Mommy: The Duggar Debate
:shocked: WTH?! Great plan: Train the kid to know that if it moves it will get hit.This is stop any intrusive exploration or pesky independence.

Thanks for digging that up, Happy. I was wondering what is was.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Yeah... I think this sentence is quite telling.

Once baby is "trained", then Mom can leave <U>it</U> there while she talks with others.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
HappyMomma said:
Yeah... I think this sentence is quite telling.

Once baby is "trained", then Mom can leave <U>it</U> there while she talks with others.
Although if I had 17 kids all with names starting with "J" I probably would end up just saying "it" as well. :p

Honestly, that family creeps me out.</SIZE>[/FONT]