Duggar kid #18!??...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Skyburning said:
I'm surprised I'm the only one here that knew they did this...
Despite starting this thread, I usually try to avoid all things Duggar. It's better that way.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Although I wasn't really familiar with this family until I saw this thread... they kind of make me think of those stories you hear on the news ... "Woman found with 123 cats in her home.."

sorry, was that bad?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
HappyMomma said:
Although I wasn't really familiar with this family until I saw this thread... they kind of make me think of those stories you hear on the news ... "Woman found with 123 cats in her home.."

sorry, was that bad?
nope...I think at a certain point it's an obsession just like any other

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Trina said:
I had never heard of "blanket training" until this thread, so I googled. Apparently hitting is not always involved.

Life in a shoe: the methods and madness of one mother of 8
Thanks for the link Trina... interesting.

I did notice this statement and I would have to agree:

<I>Ah-ha. Now we come to the heart of the matter. I suspect that most people who are horrified at the idea of blanket training are also staunchly opposed to corporal punishment.</I>

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
HappyMomma said:

sorry, was that bad?
:p

Not to me. But there is one difference: The 123 cats don't have to have therapy when they hit adulthood.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
When our daughter 2-3 when my wife told her to go to and stay in her room as punishment, she would do it. The door was never closed (or rarely) and she would stay in there until her timeout was up. No physical punishment has ever been used in our house hold, including the two cats. We have even trained the two cats to follow rules in a similar way. At lot has to do with being consistent and not letting a child have more control of a situation than a parent, which as we all know is not always easily accomplished nor fun. Today my wife only has to give our daughter "The Look" for her know there is nothing left to discuss after a decision has been made. When she was younger she might throw a fit, but it never got her anywhere, so now 10 years later she doesn't waste her time/energy protesting, well most of the time she doesn't. :)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
If Duggar family is truly as happy as they appear, then I see no problem with it. I do believe that unusual family situations can work if their motivations are in the right place, but if somewhere in the heart/mind of the parents it is partly about the notoriety/money, that is the crack where problems enter. Somewhere along the line there is a reasonable chance one or more of their children will go astray, or break from the family, and the media will be all over it because they have chosen to be in the spotlight. It is the media part that makes me the most uneasy, because that is a very unfriendly arena to be in for very long.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I watched a little bit of the show last night and it appears that they are teaching their children good morals. Although, I just keep thinking that these children are spending their childhood taking care of other children. The whole thing is a bit confusing to me.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Although, I just keep thinking that these children are spending their childhood taking care of other children. The whole thing is a bit confusing to me.[/quote]

Having children take care of other children as full time responsibility does concern me as well. In the case of this family I don't know how much responsibility is expected. Some, age appropriate, responsibility can be a good thing. It could make them better parents when they get older.

The downside I see is that the parents could inhibit their children natural development because the parents have more than they can handle, thus the children will struggle as adults because they were blocked from having the kind of childhood experience needed be a healthy/happy adults. There are many things that are best experienced in childhood so that there is no need to have those experiences when they are adults.