Father Disciplines Daughter In Unusual Streetside Manner...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Cthru said:
I'm thinking that might change when you have kids of your own.
Typical teaching and telling them things does not always work.. sometimes you have to get creative to get your point across. :)

I'm all for creative discipline, but don't believe in public humiliation.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Teresa said:
I don't see the need for public humiliation. If my parents had done that to me, the lesson I would have learned from it was that they didn't care about my feelings...and it would have caused a LOT of anger. I am a firm believer in consequences that relate directly to the action, and to me this doesn't fit the bill.

My thoughts exactly.

Jessie

PF Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2008
I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I don't think it's nice, but I don't think it's the worst punishment either.

obie

PF Regular
Nov 28, 2007
I think what the father did is a great idea. I might do that myself someday when I have children. Kids need to be held accountable for their actions. That is something that is lacking with the way parents raise their kids nowdays. I think the father is a good man who is obviously concerned about his child. i doubt the daughter will make the same mistake twice. she might "hate" her father but years later she will thank him for setting her straight. You cant always be your child's best friend. It doesnt matter if your kids "hate" you or not. What matters is how well they turn out.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
obie said:
I think what the father did is a great idea. I might do that myself someday when I have children. Kids need to be held accountable for their actions.

I agree they need to be held accountable for their actions. I just strongly disagree that humiliation is going to achieve that.

That is something that is lacking with the way parents raise their kids nowdays.

All due respect, how would you know that? Not humiliating your child does not mean they are not going to turn out to be productive members of society.

You cant always be your child's best friend. It doesnt matter if your kids "hate" you or not. What matters is how well they turn out.
Completely disagree, it matters a great deal. How are you going to teach them what to hold as values if they have absolutely not respect for you, because you have proven that your child can't "trust" you to not humiliate them? As much as they need a stern hand, they need a soft place to fall IMO.

Sep 25, 2008
Truthfully I really don't think this is even that bad, and i personally don't think there should be a right way to raise a child. Doctors and Psychologists are just giving advice that people think are truthfully right and they take it as the words from the bible, but In my opinion, if everyone was raised the same way, no one would be special now would they just my two pennies

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
1dayatatime;67874 Or are they just creating a world full of victims who blame all their problems on someone or something else. Personal Responsibilty. *steps down from tiny soap box*[/quote said:
AMEN!!!!!!

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
HappyMomma said:
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- A local man went to extremes on Monday to punish his teenage daughter.

He did so by making the 13-year-old stand at the corner of Stine Road and Stockdale Highway while holding a sign that said she was a liar and disrespected parents.

Clayton Delouth said it was a last resort and said his daughter had stolen money and items from him and his wife as well as a neighbor.

Delouth said while it wasn't meant to embarrass her, it was and added that the Puritans and judges have done it, "so, why not?"

But local psychologist Dean Haddock says that such a punishment will more than likely backfire and the best medicine is to open up the lines of communication between father and child.

Dr. Haddock says that if a child is acting out, like Delouth says his daughter has, it is probably a sign of a bigger underlying problem.

Haddock added that the best way to figure out the problem is through counseling and that can help parents figure out the appropriate way to correct a child's behavior.

Delouth says that if his daughter's activities continue, he may end up taking her to the mall to hold the sign again.

Father Disciplines Daughter In Unusual Streetside Manner - Bakersfield News Story - KERO Bakersfield
I dunno.....i think its a wee bit extreme

Brea_Butt

Dec 22, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Of course it was to humiliate her. I dont think I would ever go to such lengths to teach my daughter a lesson or discipline her. I am not much for the humility being a form of punishment but if it works, it works.

Aponder

PF Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2009
Daytona, Fl.
Extreme times call for extreme measures. The kid probably should have been beaten but, we're a more civilized society that is raising kids that have no fear of repercussions for their actions due to the actions of abusive parents. I think a parent that is facing an extreme discipline problem needs to think outside the box if they cannot resort to a good slap on the arse to solve the problem.

There is no law against disrespecting your parents and the kids know this by the time they are 10 years old.

Diplomacy isn't always an effective method of parenting. Sometimes we've got to be dictators.