Food Police...

Aylaissi

PF Regular
Nov 18, 2011
Most healthy food is not actually very expensive compared to junk food it just appears that way. People see stuff like 2.99/lb for a fruit or such and think it is expensive, break it down though, that apple or whatever is usually 40-50cents. Then you add on top of that the fact that healthy food is actually more filling to the human body than having to fill up on empty calories which take larger amounts to fill up on, you are spending less because of that as well. So really anyone claiming price as a reason is just being silly, lazy, or both because it really makes no logical sense not to eat healthy.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Aylaissi said:
Most healthy food is not actually very expensive compared to junk food it just appears that way. People see stuff like 2.99/lb for a fruit or such and think it is expensive, break it down though, that apple or whatever is usually 40-50cents. Then you add on top of that the fact that healthy food is actually more filling to the human body than having to fill up on empty calories which take larger amounts to fill up on, you are spending less because of that as well. So really anyone claiming price as a reason is just being silly, lazy, or both because it really makes no logical sense not to eat healthy.
I wish that were the case. Apples are actually a $1 each for a small one. That is not to say I don't buy them, but when your food budget is about $10/day, an apple a day is 10% of your budget.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Jeremy+3 said:
Very few supermarkets here stock non-free range eggs and battery hens are being completely banned here (I'm not sure if it is EU wide or not) and most brands e.g. hellmans mayonnaise use free range eggs as well.
very few? i have to disagree. and free-range eggs cost almost twice as much as battery.
Too many people i know live off "reduced to clear" shelves, so can't really blame them for not choosing to eat healthy and eco-friendly.

and how healthy is a meal which you cook from not the best quality products?:nah:
Sad to admit, but in UK fruit and veg are really expensive and quite bad quality. (if to compare, lets say, with Germany) :(

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I have chicken and eat their eggs..when I remember to buy the right food. We grow a lot of our produce and can during the summer months. I buy from a local butcher, where I know the cattle comes from.

But when that stuff runs out, it get's expensive so corners do get cut. We eat healthy, but no where near as healthy as we should. It isn't cheaper to buy an apple where I live eaither. Produce, during off seasons, is very expensive. During peek seasons you can pick it up for nothing (why I can). When on a budget, you do what you have to do.

Now off topic I just ate 10 pieces of chicken nuggets..yummy. lol

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
TabascoNatalie said:
very few? i have to disagree. and free-range eggs cost almost twice as much as battery.
Too many people i know live off "reduced to clear" shelves, so can't really blame them for not choosing to eat healthy and eco-friendly.

and how healthy is a meal which you cook from not the best quality products?:nah:
Sad to admit, but in UK fruit and veg are really expensive and quite bad quality. (if to compare, lets say, with Germany) :(
They're not twice as much, morrisons value eggs are free range, asda's value eggs are free range as are tesco's, sainsburys and the co-op. Fruit and veg aren't pricey either, as I said you can buy an entire stew pack for £1 you can get enough broccoli for a family of four for a meal for £40p, you can get 2KG of potatoes for 90p, you can get 1KG of carrots for 80p-£1.20 depending on where you shop, parsnips and swedes cost far less. You can get 8 full size banana's for £1 at morrisons, you can get a bag of ten apples for £1.10 and a punnet of nectarines for 80p-£1.50 depending on where you go. I know morrisons, sainsburys and co-op do not stock any non-free range eggs, I'm not sure about tesco or asda.

Fruit and veg aren't bad quality here at all, and definitely not when you compare us to Germany, plus apart from oils, cereals and asparagus they barely grow any food crops, they're more into rape etc.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Kinda waiting for someone to explain <U>"rape</U>" for me. I am assuming its not what I think.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
bssage said:
Kinda waiting for someone to explain <U>"rape</U>" for me. I am assuming its not what I think.
It's what canola is made from. But I think you can eat it. I think it's like mustard greens or turnip greens, but really, really bitter. I don't know why I think that, but somehow that's in the back of my mind.

We used to eat something in China called rape, but I'm quite sure that is different. I think that is related to broccoli and was just called rape because it resembles rape.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
bssage said:
rapeseed oil is basically what we call canola oil. The British just assume we know what they are talking about. ;)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
thanks. I wiki'd, now I am probably on some kind of deviant watch list.

I did not know that

jmillwood

Feb 9, 2012
California
I would have been absolutely furious. How dare a bureaucrat tell me my child couldn't eat the lunch I made for him/her. If I had been there, I would have told him where he could stuff those chicken nuggets. The government needs to pull back.

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
Mom2all said:
Chicken nuggets and patties are made from mechanically separated chicken is what you get when you grind an entire chicken through a sieve, soak it in ammonia, and add artificial flavor. Thats just gross. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat it, but we don't. "

my kids love chicken nuggets, but i make em from scratch instead of buying them. its alot cheaper and they dont get all those horrible additives. id be glad to send you a recipie if you would like. it works to make patties too.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
ElliottCarasDad said:
rapeseed oil is basically what we call canola oil. The British just assume we know what they are talking about. ;)
LOL I was waiting to see what the answer was to Bssage's question. Now I am off to Wiki it..

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Mom2all said:
Chicken nuggets and patties are made from mechanically separated chicken is what you get when you grind an entire chicken through a sieve, soak it in ammonia, and add artificial flavor. Thats just gross. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat it, but we don't. "

my kids love chicken nuggets, but i make em from scratch instead of buying them. its alot cheaper and they dont get all those horrible additives. id be glad to send you a recipie if you would like. it works to make patties too.
We make a version with chicken breast chunks. Is that what you mean?[/QUOTE]

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
momtoallkids said:
We make a version with chicken breast chunks. Is that what you mean?
Its kinda like making flat meatballs. Take the chicken brest and throw it in the food processor grind it up and mix in some breadcrumbs and an egg mix it make it into little balls and squish them then coat the outside in breadcrumbs. Bake. They taste very similar to store bought ones and u can take 2 full breasts and feed 5 kids LOL that's the best part.[/QUOTE]