God & Marriages.. and some....

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Yes it surrounds faith but I have no idea what you mean by dispite evidence. Evidence of what?
you could check out http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/

the guy makes a very good argument for why prayer doesn't do anything. Sure, everyone who gets sick gets prayed for, and some people get better. Sometimes someone who is REALLY sick gets better, and people think that's a miracle, a proof that prayer works. God has reached down from the cosmos and changed the fundamental nature of the universe in response to a human's sincere pleading on behalf of another: He has made the cancer go into remission, He has made the fever go down, He has made the operation a success, He has seen the baby delivered successfully despite complications... God 'intervenes' all the time, apparently. He reaches down and Touches the person's DNA so that the blip on the xray goes away and the person no longer has cancer. He does the impossible on a daily basis.

Right?

...but there has NEVER been a case of a person's limb suddenly appearing. When someone loses a limb in a car accident, and people pray for them, the limb never appears.

God makes cancer go away, he makes premmie babies survive, he makes fevers abate... he does 'impossible' things all the time. Why doesn't he ever spontaneously regenerate limbs?

Wouldn't THAT be a great 'proof' of his existence? If an amputee woke up one morning and, in response to the prayers of his friends and family, his arm were back again?? Wouldn't that be cool? Don't tell me that God doesn't do things to 'prove' he answers prayers all the time, because He has made the cancer go into remission, He has made the fever go down, He has made the operation a success, He has seen the baby delivered successfully despite complications... God 'intervenes' all the time.

So why does hate amputees so much?

The answer is in the question.

To me - a person can see the evidence that while some prayers, apparently, are answered, the prayers of amputees are NEVER answered. It is evidence like this which a Christian must ignore, rationalise, or belittle in order to keep believing in the power of prayer and the existence of their god. If you believe in God and prayer, you have to believe this DESPITE the evidence that God clearly hates amputees.

Yeah, I know how 'rational' works. I don't get why you're quoting wikipedia on this.

How did I use the term?

Nothing in this world can be "proven"....PROOF doesn't exsist. So no theory, no religion or lack there of can not be proven ever. So you stand on the same side of the tracks as a Christian. You can not prove your side "rationally" either. :)
[/COLOR]Have you ever heard of the Celestial Teapot?

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes.

But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion <I>cannot be disproved</I>, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense.

If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
evilbrent said:
you could check out http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/

the guy makes a very good argument for why prayer doesn't do anything. Sure, everyone who gets sick gets prayed for, and some people get better. Sometimes someone who is REALLY sick gets better, and people think that's a miracle, a proof that prayer works. God has reached down from the cosmos and changed the fundamental nature of the universe in response to a human's sincere pleading on behalf of another: He has made the cancer go into remission, He has made the fever go down, He has made the operation a success, He has seen the baby delivered successfully despite complications... God 'intervenes' all the time, apparently. He reaches down and Touches the person's DNA so that the blip on the xray goes away and the person no longer has cancer. He does the impossible on a daily basis.

Right?

...but there has NEVER been a case of a person's limb suddenly appearing. When someone loses a limb in a car accident, and people pray for them, the limb never appears.

God makes cancer go away, he makes premmie babies survive, he makes fevers abate... he does 'impossible' things all the time. Why doesn't he ever spontaneously regenerate limbs?

Wouldn't THAT be a great 'proof' of his existence? If an amputee woke up one morning and, in response to the prayers of his friends and family, his arm were back again?? Wouldn't that be cool? Don't tell me that God doesn't do things to 'prove' he answers prayers all the time, because He has made the cancer go into remission, He has made the fever go down, He has made the operation a success, He has seen the baby delivered successfully despite complications... God 'intervenes' all the time.

So why does hate amputees so much?

The answer is in the question.

To me - a person can see the evidence that while some prayers, apparently, are answered, the prayers of amputees are NEVER answered. It is evidence like this which a Christian must ignore, rationalise, or belittle in order to keep believing in the power of prayer and the existence of their god. If you believe in God and prayer, you have to believe this DESPITE the evidence that God clearly hates amputees.

Yeah, I know how 'rational' works. I don't get why you're quoting wikipedia on this. So that you could have it for your very own eyes. :rolleyes:

How did I use the term?

Have you ever heard of the Celestial Teapot?

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes.

But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion <I>cannot be disproved</I>, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense.

If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.
You are quoting from Wikipedia as well. So you are trying to prove a point with someone else's point? You don't have your own?
If this is the ad ignorantiam argument you still need to establish the burden of proof. You can't, can you?

I'm not going to waste my time reading "why God hates amputee's because that's just ridiculous. I know our bodies are only a vessel. Our soul is inside this vessel. Our vessels do not have to be perfect. It's our souls God heals. He does have miracles.[/B]
There are actually animals who limbs grow back. Why do humans not grow back? Who knows. There are so many other incredible miracles that amputee's are minor to me personally.[/b]

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
You are quoting from Wikipedia as well. So you are trying to prove a point with someone else's point? You don't have your own?[/B][/quote]

I happen to think it's a really good point. I love the Celestial Teapot argument. I googled for a reference to the idea, and the wikipedia site came up first.

I tell you what. I'll make you a deal.

If you can PROVE to me that the Celestial Teapot is NOT there, then I will promise to go to church, get baptised and change my life.

But seriously. I don't know why you were quoting wikipedia on me on this one. Please can you tell me the irrational thing I was saying?

If this is the ad ignorantiam argument you still need to establish the burden of proof. You can't, can you?[/B][/quote]

that's the point.

you still need to establish the burden of proof - be it magical floating teapot or magical floating crucifixion victim.

There are so many other incredible miracles that amputee's are minor to me personally.[/B][/quote]

so, out of ignore, rationalise or belittle you're choosing ignore.

That's fair.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
evilbrent said:
...but there has NEVER been a case of a person's limb suddenly appearing. When someone loses a limb in a car accident, and people pray for them, the limb never appears..

What about the severed ear of the guard, for starters?:)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Scientifically or otherwise you can not "PROVE" anything. There is no such thing.
I could not prove to you about the teapot just like you can not prove there is no God.
That's just a fact.
How can anyone argue something that can not ever be proven. Proof does not exsist.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
musicmom said:
I am a Christian and I have to run things through my BS filter...hahaha
LMAO! Me too! Like someone had to sit there and convince me that Adam and Eve didn't have belly buttons....weird right? Haha...totally off topic.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
AnKsMommy said:
LMAO! Me too! Like someone had to sit there and convince me that Adam and Eve didn't have belly buttons....weird right? Haha...totally off topic.
I never thought of that. Too funny. I am going to ask my preacher just for shits and giggles that question tomorrow. Thanks!

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
Scientifically or otherwise you can not "PROVE" anything. There is no such thing.
I could not prove to you about the teapot just like you can not prove there is no God.
That's just a fact.
How can anyone argue something that can not ever be proven. Proof does not exsist.
the thing is that both propositions are as silly as each other.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
evilbrent said:
btw I don't buy into this existensial bullshit that you can't prove anything. A table is a table.
A table ain't a table without a dancer on top of it...woooo!!!!

...sorry....lol

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
musicmom said:
I never thought of that. Too funny. I am going to ask my preacher just for shits and giggles that question tomorrow. Thanks!
I didn't get it for the longest time. But they said that since Adam and Eve were the first people on Earth and they came from God that they wouldn't have one because they were never attached to a woman. Weird right? Let me know what your preacher says lol.

BethInAK

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008
Anchorage, AK
i personally can see much more evidence for a table, air, gravity and most other things than God. In my opinion the biggest evidence of God is the inability of science to be able to create life out of amino acids and proteins. But science is young and we have time.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
That's your opinion. Not a fact. ;)
uh no.

it is a COLD HARD UNDENIABLE FACT that I don't buy into that bullshit.

The winds of time, and the raging oceans, and the forces of the very earth itself will not change the fact that I have this idea.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I guess the proof of what you are looking for you will find when you die. Hope you're right. IF not, well......sorry.