Grandma Treating Step-kids Differently...

Mommy_Colleen

Jul 29, 2011
If I'm in your shoes, I would talk to her.

Mother to mother. Heart to heart.

Tell her that you can't ask her to love your kids like her own/blood related grand kids but what you just want to ask her is to please be considerate about your kids feelings. Tell her your kids wonders and gets hurt by her actions.

Nathan_Ellis

Aug 3, 2011
Being a step-parent/grand parent is an interesitng thing. She's probably uncomfortable with the change in spouse of her son/daughter, and views these kids as a product of her son/daughter's failed marraige

There's usually a lot of hurt behind actions that appear so angry.

try to learn and empathize with what your grandma is going through. ask her why she does what she does in a direct, non-confrontational way.

jessicams

PF Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2011
I've never been in this situation but my hubby was in your childrens' spot (his mom's dad remarried and the new wife didn't give his mom or her kids anything but spoiled "her" grandchildren")
We're actually kind of afraid it's going to happen to our girls come Christmas time. MIL's BF has 2 grandkids that he spoils but we don't think he's going to do the same for our girls... We'll just have to wait and see...

But it is something your fiance is going to have to take care of. Stepfamilies are a difficult concept for people who haven't been a part of one so maybe she just doesn't understand how to act around your other children.

fuchsiasky

Aug 11, 2011
I am in a similar position only it is my mom who is treating the kids differently. I got together with DSD's dad 6 years ago. Long before DD was even a thought. My mom always treated DSD well, but now that she has a real granddaughter it has changed a bit. I can see the difference. If DD wants something (a certain toy or special food) grandma is right there with it. But recently when we asked for a little help to get DSD to another city to visit a friend who was very sick my mom refused to help. She said that DSD should be collecting bottles and stuff to raise the money. DSD is only 14 and had never had a friend be so sick before. If DD had needed that help it would have been there in a moment. We didn't tell DSD any of this. But she knew something was up. I don't think she likes my mom much cause. But my mom doesn't approve of my choice in husband and I think that comes through when she is dealing with him or DSD. I wish that she could treat her like a granddaughter but they have never developed that relationship. I am not sure if they will now. It makes me sad, but I don't see anything that I can do about it. When I said something it just resulted in a big fight.

So, I have no answers for you, but you have my sympathy!