HELP! My teen and her bed wetting problem!...

BentMonk

PF Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2008
Louisville, KY
I was noticing that the OP hadn't responded as well. Oh well...we tried. I like the new pic. I'm going to have to post some pics of my kiddos too. Lindsey, my youngest is testing for her yellow belt in kung fu on the 17th. I'll try and post a pic of her with black belt Dad. She's going to be a heart breaker and maybe a leg breaker lol. She's like her Dad and likes to play rough. lol I'm happy about that though. If she ever has to say, "No." It will definitely mean "No." ;)

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
BentMonk said:
Lindsey, my youngest is testing for her yellow belt in kung fu on the 17th. ...If she ever has to say, "No." It will definitely mean "No." ;)
My family seems to think I'm kidding about wanting to get my kids into martial arts really early.

She's not due until April, so this might be a little early. ;)
In your opinion, when does it start to become appropriate?

BentMonk

PF Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2008
Louisville, KY
zeitgeist said:
My family seems to think I'm kidding about wanting to get my kids into martial arts really early.

She's not due until April, so this might be a little early. ;)
In your opinion, when does it start to become appropriate?
I would not start a child any younger than nine or ten. Most kids younger than that just do not have the attention span needed to learn the material effectively. I'm sure you're already familiar with the benefits of MA training. I think every child should have some idea of how to take care of themselves, given the overwhelmingly freaky nature of the world today. If possible train with your child. Do not go to a school that has a huge kids program. These are day cares where the kids wear karate outfits. We do not have a separate kids program where I train. My daughter is learning the same techniques and material that I did. She can also apply them against a resisting opponent. I'm assuming you want the same for your child. IMO a good MA school does not do birthday parties and take field trips to the skating rink, but I've seen it here in Louisville. Also, if you're pretty sure you can take the instructor, or they have a belt test with a fee every couple of weeks...run. Ask a lot of questions and trust your gut. Sorry if this turned into a rant, but I have a major thing against MA schools that have thirteen year old black belts teaching class, while a fat guy with a lot of stripes on his belt walks around looking important. :D It sounds like you've got some time before you'll be looking in earnest, but I hope I've helped a little.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
BentMonk said:
I would not start a child any younger than nine or ten. Most kids younger than that just do not have the attention span needed to learn the material effectively. I'm sure you're already familiar with the benefits of MA training. I think every child should have some idea of how to take care of themselves, given the overwhelmingly freaky nature of the world today. If possible train with your child. Do not go to a school that has a huge kids program. These are day cares where the kids wear karate outfits. We do not have a separate kids program where I train. My daughter is learning the same techniques and material that I did. She can also apply them against a resisting opponent. I'm assuming you want the same for your child. IMO a good MA school does not do birthday parties and take field trips to the skating rink, but I've seen it here in Louisville. Also, if you're pretty sure you can take the instructor, or they have a belt test with a fee every couple of weeks...run. Ask a lot of questions and trust your gut. Sorry if this turned into a rant, but I have a major thing against MA schools that have thirteen year old black belts teaching class, while a fat guy with a lot of stripes on his belt walks around looking important. :D It sounds like you've got some time before you'll be looking in earnest, but I hope I've helped a little.
No, no. It's all good. Sounds like sound advice.

If I could take the instructor... well, I'm big, but I've got a bad back and the last martial arts instruction I had was over 20 years ago. If I can take the instructor... :lol:

You said "If possible train with your child." That's been tremendously on my mind. I've thought that was a good idea from the first I ever considered it. You know, don't make it "You have to do this so you'll be safe!" but more along the lines of "something fun that we can learn together." If I can sell it that way, we can keep the ulterior motives (instilling in her a broader sense of discipline, responsibility... and the safety issues) a little less apparent but no less important.

You know, so it doesn't look like the whole thing is "'cause it'll build CHARACTER!" :D

And she'll probably be kicking my butt inside a year. :wink:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
BentMonk said:
I was noticing that the OP hadn't responded as well. Oh well...we tried. I like the new pic. I'm going to have to post some pics of my kiddos too. Lindsey, my youngest is testing for her yellow belt in kung fu on the 17th. I'll try and post a pic of her with black belt Dad. She's going to be a heart breaker and maybe a leg breaker lol. She's like her Dad and likes to play rough. lol I'm happy about that though. If she ever has to say, "No." It will definitely mean "No." ;)
Yeah, we tried. :p Thanks, I felt lucky that the picture turned out so nice after I took it and looked at it. I was like "wow, what a nice picture" haha. I have a ton of pictures posted (mostly of Eli) in the Family Album, but I guess you'd need more posts before you could see them. I'd love to see pics of your kids. A leg breaker lol. That's a good thing, nothing more important than being a strong woman.

I've been wondering a similar thing that zeitgeist was talking about. I wonder when it's a good age to start Eli in SOMETHING, some kind of activity/sport. I want to get him into something physical as soon as possible and keep him active and dedicated, I mean you know as much as a little one can be. And what's the best thing you can start the earliest? I wondered martial arts. I have an aunt that started her little ones very young in a wrestling program, so I thought about that. I guess there's gymnastics too. I don't know. I should make a thread. I probably will I'm just being lazy right now.

BentMonk

PF Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2008
Louisville, KY
zeitgeist said:
No, no. It's all good. Sounds like sound advice.

If I could take the instructor... well, I'm big, but I've got a bad back and the last martial arts instruction I had was over 20 years ago. If I can take the instructor... :lol:

You said "If possible train with your child." That's been tremendously on my mind. I've thought that was a good idea from the first I ever considered it. You know, don't make it "You have to do this so you'll be safe!" but more along the lines of "something fun that we can learn together." If I can sell it that way, we can keep the ulterior motives (instilling in her a broader sense of discipline, responsibility... and the safety issues) a little less apparent but no less important.

You know, so it doesn't look like the whole thing is "'cause it'll build CHARACTER!" :D

And she'll probably be kicking my butt inside a year. :wink:
My daughter wanted to train. She began harassing me about it when she was eight. The general rule at my school is no kid under ten, but since I'd been training there for fifteen years and Lindsey is mature for her age, my instructor let her try it out. She went to about ten classes before we officially signed her up and bought a uniform. I wanted to make sure she wasn't going to get bored like her oldest brother did. Her Mom and I made it clear that signing up and getting a uniform meant that she was making a commitment that she would be expected to honor regardless of boredom. She had no qualms with this arrangement and has been going strong since. I think that if you make it a Dad and Daughter activity she'll view it as special time with you. Lindsey and I have our own pre-class routine. We have a light snack, get ready, and jam to some upbeat tunes on a CD I titled "Daddy & Lindsey's Going To Class CD". We sing, rock out and get pumped up for class. We had to use Mammaw's car last night and she doesn't have a CD player. Not to worry, Dad had the IPod and we still had our fun. :D I hope you and your daughter have similar experiences. I'm happy I could help.

Xero gymnastics is a great foundation for martial arts. I have a friend who started his daughter in gymnastic when she was seven. Three years worth of that before moving on to martial arts would be great for Eli. You can look into that too ZG. Gymnastics isn't easy, but it's not as detailed as martial art training.

benedicte

Dec 4, 2008
Hi,

I did that until the age of 12y. I tried different stuff and i'm convinced that medicine doesn't help it's just more chemical product for nothing.

I stopped by doing that.

Go to the bathroom before going to bed, then go to bed, wait 20 minutes and then go back to the bathroom even if you don't really need you'll do a bit and then go back to bed for good.

and it should be ok, the first thing you do when you wake is going to the bathroom. It really helps to do the 20 minutes stuff and since that my wetting bed issues stopped!

She can try that and see if it works. What I use to do as well was during the 20 minutes in the bed I use to breath with my stomach like relaxing and it helped me to sleep quick after going back to bed.

I hope this will help