Homeschool or Public...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I'm planning on homeschooling my two daughters just as I was homeschooled. I thought it might be an interesting topic for a debate. Are you planning to homeschool, if so why?

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
Both of my kids are public schooled, but that was mostly because I doubted my own abilities to be an effective teacher. I doubt doubting myself now! LOL

I think home schooling is a great option for lots of kids. They tend to keep their love of learning more so when what they are learning is catered to them. Field trips can be so much easier and more frequent. Overall, a great option.

I'm not saying public school is a lot worse, or anything. My son goes to a high school that incorporates an Integrated Arts Program, which makes his artistic experience at school a lot more enriched than I could have made it at home, for instance.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Funny. I was just at a playgroup where moms were talking about this.

I'm pretty sure Oliver is going to public school. I'm not 100% yet though.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
TammyZed said:
Both of my kids are public schooled, but that was mostly because I doubted my own abilities to be an effective teacher. I doubt doubting myself now! LOL

I think home schooling is a great option for lots of kids. They tend to keep their love of learning more so when what they are learning is catered to them. Field trips can be so much easier and more frequent. Overall, a great option.

I'm not saying public school is a lot worse, or anything. My son goes to a high school that incorporates an Integrated Arts Program, which makes his artistic experience at school a lot more enriched than I could have made it at home, for instance.
I doubt myslef as well.

I will probably home school pre-k and possible kindergarten. I would send to school after that. I think some children can learn very effectively at home, but I couldn't do it personally though I wish I could

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My kids go to public school and are thriving. Fortunately, we have been very pleased with our school system. I'm an active school volunteer, so I'm in the building often and like what I see.

I'm a former teacher, but would not homeschool unless I was very unhappy with the public system and couldn't find a suitable or affordable private school.

I'm all for homeschooling, as long as the parents are very serious and dedicated. During my 10 yr. teaching career I had 3 students from 3 different families transfer into my classroom. All of them were a year or more behind. One mother openly admitted she was "winging" it. :( It's not for everyone.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I agree... homeschooling is a big commitment that should be taken very seriously.

We recently moved from the City to a Wylie just so my daughter would be able to attend a good school without worrying about her learning to be a gangster. (We weren't in a very good neighborhood)

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I've heard that homeschooling parents tend to get a lot of heat from the CPS and law enforcement. The CPS is one scary organization.

Has anyone else come across this?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
My children's public school ranks third in our state. I could not ask for better and would never take that experience away from them.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I think private school is the best option, but I'm not sure how affordable that will be for our son.

I can't give up my salary to teach my son (nor do I think I'd have the patience), and my wife couldn't teach him if she wanted to...so public school will have to do. I think as long as we stay active in our son's life, and make sure he gets exposed to the arts/music/math etc...he'll be okay :)

I definitely like the idea of learning social interaction too

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I think you are all probably a lot more intelligent than you give yourselves credit for. I hope to get a college education before my daughters are high school age so I'll be better suited to teach them through that stage but my husband and I have both agreed that if (at high school age) they want to be in public school that we will let them go.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
gr8mom said:
my husband and I have both agreed that if (at high school age) they want to be in public school that we will let them go.
This is wise. I do think children at that age should be given the choice of public\private schooling.

I know of one example where the parents couldn't educate one of their two children well enough to pass his GED, and he was a kid that I think would have been better suited in classroom environment and done well. He needed things his parents couldn't provide.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I realize that homeschooling isn't going to be easy, even though my older daughter seems exceptionally bright. My sister-in-law homeschools her daughters who are 9 and 12 and I kind of got a better example of how it's supposed to be done from her. My own mother was not nearly as organized and tried to teach us as she was taught back in the 60's in public school. If there are any teachers among the group I'll welcome all the tips I can get.

Jester

Mar 22, 2008
Personally I have never understood why people want to home school though I do realize it depends on circumstances. I am very lucky to be around one of the best public school systems in my state, so I feel comfortable sending my son there.

I guess I disagree with why many people decide to home school. For example sheltering children from the others values, beliefs, and ideas. In my opinion it's good for children to learn and understand many different points of view from other people. Basically, socialization.

Let them figure it out with parental guidance, not shelter them from any point of view other than your own. In my opinion that can only hurt them in the long run.

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Don't automatically dismiss public schools. We have some great public schools here. Plus if all the great parents homeschool or go private, then the public schools will fail.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I think there are plenty of people still putting their kids in public school, me homeschooling my own children shouldn't make the schools fail. :D

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I believe each to their own and you shoud do whatever you think is best for your children.

Personally I don't think I am qualified to homeschool for many reasons. I know a little bit about a lot of stuff but wouldn't consider myself to be educated enough on any one subject to be a competent teacher.

Also home-schoolers have to have a social network in order to make sure their kids are exposed to other children. I'm not very social, and don't see myself inviting a bunch of strangers into my house. It just wouldn't work for me.

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Of course not, gr8mom, but I do believe that it is a consideration. My husband has family in southern Alabama, and they ALL send their kids to private schools. And these are not wealthy people. The result of course is that the local public schools are a mess. In fact they were shocked that our kids attended public schools.