Homeschool or Public...

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
gr8mom said:
hwnorth: Sorry if I misinterpreted your responses. I thought I answered your question the first time and then you asked a similar one which is why I assumed you were anti-homeschooling. As for the input of other parents obviously I accept advice or I wouldn't be here I just don't think you can judge what is right for my children without knowing them or me. JMHO
Please refer me to where I passed judgment

If that was a general statement and not directed at me .. then could you please explain, if you didnt want to be judged on what you do, they why would you post it in a thread where it would be debated ... Im curious on that ...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I was not asking if I should or shouldn't homeschool my children. I've already made up my mind on that. Just thought it would be interesting to see what other parents thought on the subject, that's all.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
hwnorth said:
Interesting ... out of all the persons here... only one admits to taking an active role in the school their child attends .. Cheers Amber .. and anyone else that partakes.
Please keep in mind that there are several of us with kids who are too young for school. My kids are 18 months and aren't in either daycare or preschool.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
me too, only 26 months old, not daycare for us, just little ol me doing it (well of course DH as well)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
hwnorth said:
Interesting ... out of all the persons here... only one admits to taking an active role in the school their child attends .. Cheers Amber .. and anyone else that partakes.
I was VERY active in my DK's schools. So much so that I'm burnt out now, which is fine, because my kids are getting to the age where it's not cool to have Mom at school. LOL! I still keep in close touch with the teachers and help when needed.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
gr8mom said:
I was not asking if I should or shouldn't homeschool my children. I've already made up my mind on that. Just thought it would be interesting to see what other parents thought on the subject, that's all.
Thank you... I got that.
I wasnt telling you what you should do ... I was asking you for an educated opinion as to why you have chosen that path and if you have taken the time to research other options.

Therefore I was asking you questions to the common questions and statements often made on this topic. I you cant or arent able to answer them, thats fine, I was just hoping for a little more pros and cons with facts

Thanks for the replies of those who are or are going to be involved in children's schooling ... I feel it very important to do so

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
hwnorth said:
GR8MOM - If your posted this ... I appologize and direct me to the posting number ... but what is the reason you want to home school ... what is the reason you feel that you can better teach all subjects to a child when you are not trained yourself as an educator, nor have the resources. .
I believe I already answered this but here I go again. The reason I want to homeschool is I feel it's best for my children. Already I can see the ways my oldest daughter learns are different from her sister. I firmly believe that in a school they do not spend enough time with each student to give teach in the way that they learn best. To the second question my reply is that I don't think I can teach better right now which is why I am determined to gather all the knowledge and information I can to help me, including going to college for it. As for resources there are a number of homeschooling resources out there to choose from and my sister in law (husband's brother's wife) gave me a catalog from which she orders her homeschooling supplies.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
hwnorth said:
gr8mom
"<I>I believe that the early years are most important to a child's education.</I>"

I agree and believe that its actual fact

Would one on one schooling restrict the amount of knowledge the "teacher" would have? After all, the reality is, no one person is going to know everything that a plethora of teachers will know
Just so I made sure I answered all of your questions I thought I'd answer this one as well. What one on one schooling would lack in diversity of teachers it would make up in the ability of the child to retain the knowledge. Someone teaching a group of children, say 30, cannot possibily answer all the questions one student would have about anything and thus could never compare to someone sitting there with them teaching and answering as they go. I believe asking questions is fundamental to growth. There is no way I know everything there is to know about anything so I will continue to ask questions. Yes there are a few things which I've made up my mind about already but I'm still open to suggestions on how I might be able to follow this path I have choosen best.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Interesting theory ... Id be interested to see the studies that compare schooling types.

My thought on questions being fundamental growth is that 30 other kids would have questions the 1 other wouldnt ... therefore more questions would be asked .... I see your point but I dont believe for myself that there is enough logic in it for my situation. Keeping in mind the academic training levels of Canada and the USA are MUCH different.

I actually think this is an unfair debate as its between 2 countries with MUCH different learning and education styles and budgets.

For example ... I find that USA schooling is much on patriotism and your own Country (a noted fact) and Canada is more diverse in its learnings. USA learns very little about Canada ... yet Canada learns a lot about the USA ....

Just different countries and different styles

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I didn't ever read where you were from, so have you ever been to Prince Edward Island? I read alot about it in the Anne of Green Gables series and would like to go sometime.