How do I help this family out...

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Could the kids go to a library after school? That way they could work on the homework. Also waiting outside could be a major issue if you live in places like North Dakota.

Maybe you could offer to get keys made for the kids. Or you could try to arrange a mentor through the school. Some churches also have mentoring programs.

Just a few thoughts,
Ali

mrspineau

PF Regular
Feb 13, 2008
Canada
I think that you could help them by trying to talk to your friend. I have a friend who's parenting I do not agree with (we have been good friends since 7th grade!!) and because we have been friends for so long it is very difficult for me to comment on her parenting because I do not want to get into a fight with her. But, I try to at least not act like I agree with what she is doing, I certainly make it clear that I do things differently, and hope that she will get a clue.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
obie said:
Should Child Protective Services be contacted?

Her kids are 9 (son) and 16 (daughter)
nah.

unfortunately they have bigger problems to deal with.

as long as she's not actually abusive or downright neglectful there's nothing the government could (or should) get involved with.

there's no law against being a bloody idiot.

leland

PF Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2008
Memphis, TN
Just tell the mom the truth on how you feel?... As someone said, you could always mentor the daughter.. Seems the son is getting alot more attention for some reason..