How good is HIPPY?...

MadisonWorth

Jan 5, 2008
U.K
:) Hi all,

I'm new here, by the way! So, I have a one year old,Dylan and though I dont plan to right away, I'm really interested in HIPPY(Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters). It sounds both educational and fun. Have you (or anyone you know) been involved in it? I'd like to get some practical feedback! Thanks! Madison.

MadisonWorth

Jan 5, 2008
U.K
Oh ok! Um, you can google it but I'll just paste some info here from some official site-
"The HIPPY program is about helping parents teach their three-, four- and five-year-olds at home. HIPPY is a home-based, family focused program that helps parents provide educational enrichment for their preschool child.

The HIPPY program builds on the basic bond between parents and children. Supported by easy-to-use activity packets, home visits, and group meetings, HIPPY parents learn how to prepare their children for success in school and beyond. Throughout their children's fourth and fifth years, parents receive a progressive series of 60 weekly packets of daily activities. Every other week they attend group meetings with other parents and HIPPY staff. Learning and play mingle throughout HIPPY's structured curriculum as parents encourage their children to recognize shapes and colors, tell stories, follow directions, solve logical problems, and acquire other school readiness skills."

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it sounds fine from what you posted there, but I would also look into your public library. Most now a days have a homeschool program that meets there and a lot do preschool. Even if they don't do a pre-k, they may be able to help you out on what a good program is or isn't. This one sounds like it can be pricey. Of course I don't know maybe it is free

MadisonWorth

Jan 5, 2008
U.K
Thanks Kaytee! I'll look into it locally. I've just been researching online upto now. For some strange reason, I'm VERY enthusiastic about reading picture storybooks and playing with colored blocks! ;)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol I know how you feel. We have started doing little things here as well. Well we always did little things. She learned her ABC's at 18 months (well she skipped a few letters till recently) We can count to 20 no problems (sometimes skips 19 though lol) and we are working on 20-30 now. She doesn't know her colors excpet pink right now, but we keep going over them, she just doesn't get it yet! She guesses good though, lol. If we ask her what color something is, she will guess, "blue" we say no, she says "red" and will keep going till she gets it right!
It's never to early to learn

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Kaytee said:
lol I know how you feel. We have started doing little things here as well. Well we always did little things. She learned her ABC's at 18 months (well she skipped a few letters till recently) We can count to 20 no problems (sometimes skips 19 though lol) and we are working on 20-30 now. She doesn't know her colors excpet pink right now, but we keep going over them, she just doesn't get it yet! She guesses good though, lol. If we ask her what color something is, she will guess, "blue" we say no, she says "red" and will keep going till she gets it right!
It's never to early to learn
That's true. I was never big on "instruction" per se, but we just used everyday opportunities to learn stuff.

Also, we have some great resources in our area - the zoo is free, the science center is free, museums (art and history) are free - so we take her to places like that ALL THE TIME. Since we don't have to make a day of it and go to the zoo all in one day where she gets tired of walking and doesn't care to see the animals anymore - we just go for an hour or so. We each pick an animal to go look at, and we'd just see whatever was on the way. We'd talk about what colors the animals are, whether they have stripes or spots, what letter their name starts with....I don't know if there are places like that around you, there don't have to be, what I'm saying is that I think using fun activities to help make learning fun is easier for us than an instructional program.

eric@sealguide

PF Regular
Jan 2, 2008
Besides all of the great ways to teach your child I really like the idea that you will be starting their education off with them learning to learn from you.

I think that is terrific and will pay off greatly in the long run.

Parents! Home school or not, we should all be our child's greatest, and favorite teacher!!!!

P.S Make sure you know what the heck your doing!!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol yep, thats why I won't home school per se. I don't know what I am doing!!! But I will teach her to read long before she begins kindergartedn. Of course I only expect small words from her, the of, it, in, things like that but learning to sound out words.

eric@sealguide

PF Regular
Jan 2, 2008
Kaytee said:
lol yep, thats why I won't home school per se. I don't know what I am doing!!! But I will teach her to read long before she begins kindergartedn. Of course I only expect small words from her, the of, it, in, things like that but learning to sound out words.
The most amazing things about kids is you almost always get what you expect!

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
eric@sealguide said:
The most amazing things about kids is you almost always get what you expect!
I disagree. I read when I was 4, and Mike read when he was 3. I always worked with Hannah on reading skills (in fun ways) and really expected for her to read early. Guess what? Reading is developmental. They will do it when they are ready, like walking. Some kids do it early, some don't. She is reading pretty well now, in kindergarten.

Like Kaytee, I truly expected her to be reading long before kindergarten.

But I NEVER would have expected her to be multiplying 3 digit numbers in her head when she was 5!

As much as we all need to definitley work with kids, one thing we should all remember is to nurture their own personal talents, rather than what we want them to do.

eric@sealguide

PF Regular
Jan 2, 2008
hannah's mommy said:
I disagree. I read when I was 4, and Mike read when he was 3. I always worked with Hannah on reading skills (in fun ways) and really expected for her to read early. Guess what? Reading is developmental. They will do it when they are ready, like walking. Some kids do it early, some don't. She is reading pretty well now, in kindergarten.

Like Kaytee, I truly expected her to be reading long before kindergarten.

But I NEVER would have expected her to be multiplying 3 digit numbers in her head when she was 5!

As much as we all need to definitley work with kids, one thing we should all remember is to nurture their own personal talents, rather than what we want them to do.
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. You always get what you expect? I just mean to expect good things from your kids, and don't place limitations. Of course don't be unreasonable with your expectations either.

I think I get your point though. I guess I can say " You never know".

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
eric@sealguide said:
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. You always get what you expect? I just mean to expect good things from your kids, and don't place limitations. Of course don't be unreasonable with your expectations either.

I think I get your point though. I guess I can say " You never know".
I guess I didn't take it the right way the first time. I took it literally, about getting what you expect - which I disagree with. But I do get what you are trying to say about expecting good things and not placing limitations.

eric@sealguide

PF Regular
Jan 2, 2008
I think the quote was a bit misplaced. I think the concept of getting what you expect applies more to behavior. You know "Terrible Two's" mentality. My least favorite saying in the world.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
hey now, my kid is the terrible twos. Of course she got it when she was about 14 or 15 months old!!! But I love her and this is still my favorite age so far

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I homeschool and you would not believe the local resources you can find if you just look. One thing I like to do is pick a letter and pick a book and as we read the book together they find all the words that start with that letter and write them down (I still do this with Hannah.)