How long were you in labour?...

lelo2006

Jan 10, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Just curious to see how long everyone was in labour for. For myself, the first child was 30 minutes and my second was 15 minutes.

What were you?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Baby #1 - 48 hrs. before c-section
Baby #2 - Was supposed to be a scheduled c-section, but my water broke 5 days earlier than the scheduled date. I was experiencing contractions for an hour before they wheeled me into the OR.

30 and 15 minutes?! Oh my!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
15 1/2 hours of hard labor with my son (no drugs and three pushes) then with the twins it was 12 but I had drugs and then an epideral so those hours felt like nothing.(one push for my first twin, they took the last twin via c-sec)

lelo2006

Jan 10, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I think I should of been an little more clearer of what labour is. It's when you start pushing, that's labour. The rest the refer to as contractions and don't really, as far as I know have a term for it. So when I asked how long you were in labour for it's when you started pushing.
If your calculating from when your contractions started that's different.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
lelo2006 said:
I think I should of been an little more clearer of what labour is. It's when you start pushing, that's labour. The rest the refer to as contractions and don't really, as far as I know have a term for it. So when I asked how long you were in labour for it's when you started pushing.
If your calculating from when your contractions started that's different.
Contractions <I>are</I> considered labor. You are referring to the second stage of labor, which is pushing.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-stages-of-labor_177.bc

I may not have pushed my babies out, but I certainly experienced labor with my DS. Forty-eight hours of contractions, pitocin, fully dilated .... They finally sent me to radiology, where they took x-rays and learned his head was stuck against my heart-shaped pelvis. My OB/GYN told me no baby would ever fit through.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Contractions are DEFINITELY labor. The contractions were worse than pushing for me.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
The pushing was a relief for me. But as for pushing-
Isabella- about 45 minutes and we needed the vaccum extraction.
Josephine- about 30 minutes
Hannah- about 10 minutes
Natalia- about 20 minutes

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yep what they said. contractions are labor, pushing is stage 2. Stage 3 is passing the placenta out.

I pushed maybe 15 minutes

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I pushed for 15 minutes and didn't feel a thing because I had an epidural. :)

CJ's mom

PF Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2008
Connecticut
Mychaela: age 13...18 hours of labor -15 min pushing

Jordan: age 9...9 hour labor -18 pushing

Daniel: age 7 ....11 hour labor- 10 min pushing

<I>:( Angel Baby...</I>passed away at 5 months in-utero:(

Christopher: age 2 1/2...6 1/2 hour labor and almost no pushing 3 min tops...I told the dr. I had to push and hesaid, oh you are not ready, I just checked you a few minutes ago. I said This is not my first baby damn it the baby is comming out. Legs up...baby out!!! I know TMI!! :p

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
I was in labor for 23 hours, but it was only about 20 minutes of pushing.

After the epidural, pushing was cake compared to the pain of contractions

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
I couldn't imagine not having an epidural! What a difference before and after. My anesthesiologist was my best friend!

Rumor has it that labors are supposed to get shorter and easier w/ each kid. Not so for me...I had 26 hours of labor and pushed unsuccessfully for two 2-hr periods w/ my third baby. I ended up in the OR w/ a c-section. Go figure.

I'm due in about 8 weeks and will have a scheduled c-section this time. Hopefully I'm all done w/ labor and pushing!

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
After being 2 weeks late they scheduled me for an induction-I was in labor for 24 hrs., then 2 hours of unsuccesful pushing before they decided I needed a c-section, then we had to wait 2 hours for an operating room! Thank god for the epidural! I think the worst part about the whole thing was my poor husband feeling lost and not knowing what to do. Poor guy!!!