How Much Screen Time for Kids?...

kathywhite

PF Regular
Feb 19, 2011
Findhorn, Scotland
How much screen time for kids? I just did a google search and was amazed at the concensus is about 2 hours a day should be max.

When a toddler maybe having a 2 hour nap. Up at 7 and Bed at 7 for example that's 20% of his or her day in front of a screen. By the time they are 10 nearly a 1/4 of a child's life might have been sitting statically in front of moving images.

Developmentally this shocks me. A child learns about the world first through his eyes..he/she tracks the world through following objects and the people around them with their eyes. Then the head starts to move, gaining strength because what the object the baby is tracking with his eyes makes them want to follow it closer with his or her head. Next comes the reaching or grabbing, the engagement with the object (mummy's glasses or necklace) the toy on the floor, the food on the plate. Following eye, hand comes the rest of the body, taking years of continuting developmental growth into a fully co-ordinated adult.

Are we stunting this growth by sitting our children in front of Televisions or computers ? Is it healthy that all engagement with the screen is with static eyes, still bodies, or very little hand gestures...? How do they continue to fully develop their co-ordination and engagement with the world if they are only passively watching it on a 2D interface? That's the physical side.

Emotionally, I've yet to meet a child who has had very little exposure to TV who has not been completely freaked out and scared by what they see there...even with many seemingly harmless shows. Are we as adults who have seen so much violence and loudness on TV unable to register for our children the craziness of what is on the screen in front of them ?

I ask these points as questions for clearly I have a very strong opinion and have a 1/2 hour screen time limit per week for my kids ( which admitedly does change in the holidays) but I wanted to open this discussion here...what benefit does the TV bring to their development that could not be found by healthy engagement with a book, the natural environment, you and other meaningful adults in their lives?

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
one hour a day of a videogame (PC or Wii). TV -- with morning breakfast, or when there's something interesting.

what benefits of TV? well, there are many really nice educational shows, documentaries, and movies. If a child's life is meaningful enough, some tv can't hurt.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
My kids get about an hour a day of TV/Xbox time (combined). Megan watches PBS in the mornings while I get some chores done. Hannah will either watch TV or play a video game during her down time in the evening.

I think a little TV time isn't hurting anything. Both my kids get plenty of interaction from myself and their dad, and we also do a lot of outside play and athletic activity such as hiking or frisbee. The shows Meg watches are educational shows geared to preschoolers. Hannah also watches educational shows if she watches TV, or if she plays video games they are either games where she uses logic to solve problems (like Lego Harry Potter) or where she is getting a lot of movement (like Kinect Sports). Then also on Friday nights we'll do a family movie night.

Jake72

PF Regular
Dec 18, 2010
Alabama
My kids are teens and spend most of their time that they aren't in school or with friends on the computer, Xbox, watching tv, texting etc. I see no harm in it and am not going to even attempt to limit their screen time. They aren't fat and lazy, they are both in great shape and know how to interact with other humans.

When they were younger the TV would be on all day long, as it still is now, but never were they sitting still staring at it. They were always playing with toys and interacting with each other and us. I remember when my son was younger and he would play the Nintendo he'd be standing up most of the time dancing around with the controller in his hands. Even when they were toddlers we had the TV on all the time, but I can't remember a time when they were really interested in what was happening on the screen.

My brother and his wife limits the screen time their kids get, they are allowed to watch one tv show every week or so. When they are over at my house and my TV is on those kids are glued to it. I've just noticed that when the TV is always there and always on, it's not as interesting as it is when it's an extra special treat.

buddylovebabi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2011
Mighigan
The limit in our house is 8 hours/week. Standard is about 5 1/2 hours, and anything over that has to be earned.

I think that we have been desensitized to the madia. Just like we watch lion king and have no adverse reaction to it, but when you think about it Mufasa's death is quite violent and tragic. I mean I know people who watch it just fine, but man I cry everytime I watch that scene, it kills me to watch that. I can just imagine how kids feel about it.

artygard

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
Depends on the age of the child. For instance I have a 10 year old son, and I allow him on the computer 3 hours at a time, then he has to go outside for at least 3 hours. I have a 14 year old son that I allow on for a lot longer because he actually does need the computer for his school work

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I personally think there is quite a bit of good programs out their for kids. I never had cable tv until about 6 months ago, so my son's only option was PBS Kids. I think they have a lot of great programs that teach him (and me) quite a bit. He's never been one to pick TV or video games over any other activity, so it's never been an issue for us.

I kind of think that if you are very very strict about anything it could end up back firing in the long run. I really think that teaching moderation is the way to go. For some reason, if you make a big deal about something, it seems kids will be drawn to it even more. Whether it be sweets, tv, video games, or whatever.

For myself, there are times when I don't watch TV for months, and other times where I seem to turn it on a lot. I've always said that it's kind of like a vacation for my brain because when I feel overwhelmed by 'life' I will turn on a stupid reality tv show and veg out for awhile. But I don't over do it. And I do enjoy some of the shows on the History and Science channels. I feel like I learn a thing or two about the great big world we live in.

yeojungi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas
I don't have any policy on how much screen time my kid should get. My 7 year old has all the things other kids have, iPod touch, Wii, DS, and even a laptop, but she doesn't get to spend more than 2 hours/week staring at the screen unless there is an unusual situation. She is simply too busy with her school, extra curriculum, and imaginary play. I know I am on the lucky side. If she was crazy about games and TV, I would have to be quite tough.

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
I think it depends on the kid but we have a 7 yr old who would spend every minute of his life in front of the TV if we allowed it. He loves video games and will ignore all of life if he had cable or satellite.

In general I don't like it. I think it is a humongous waste of time. there are so many important things and "real" things to do in life. I see no problem with it in moderation and there are valuable shows of course but it is also easy to lose yourself with too much and it will effect the brain.

MummyLovesYou

PF Regular
Feb 24, 2011
England
In my house we have a TV in living room, kitchen and a small one in the girls' playroom, family computer, work computer (that's in our bedroom and it's a no-go zone unless we're with them and we give them permission), Nintendo Wii and PS3, and we all have Nintendo DS's. Also we have a family iPod touch but mainly it's plugged into the stereo, me and my partner both have phones and our ten year old has a really basic phone for emergancies.

With the TV and connected games consoles, the girls usually watch TV Saturday/Sunday morning (we are usually quite lazy until 10ish on Saturday) and in the evening. We have no kids TV before school (we have the news on in the kitchen at breakfast time) or before 7am on the weekends. They can play active games like Wii fit/sports whenever, and other games for a max 2hrs per day.
They have times they can go on the computer, they are allowed on fairly. If the other one doesn't need to go on, they can go on for up to 2 hours. If either of them need it for homework or want to go on and haven't been on for ages then they get priority. If they both need it for homework then one can use the work one (in special circumstances).
They are always allowed on their Nintendo DS unless they have been really naughty then it's taken away. They have games like Brain Training, Big Brain Academy etc, and my partner and I enjoy the various Doctor Leyton challenges.

To be honest as long as they're not on the computer all day, that they have breaks to do other things and that they get homework done, we don't mind.

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
I think mummylovesyou makes some good points. Bottom line is whether or not it causes problems with life.

If everything is getting done and life is going as it should, homework getting done, chores getting done then I guess there is no need for limits. Sounds like they limit themselves. My kids don't do that. :)

Big_Sister

PF Regular
Jan 27, 2011
I kind of took my Mothers rule about this, 10 minutes per age per day. For TV and videogames, The pc was never limited. And till now it isn't necesarry to do it here.

Alex isnt realy intrested in it, and Sam preveres playing outside anyway. if there is a reasen, so she can't go outside, I understand if she spends more time on pc and tv...

GymSensei

Jun 2, 2010
Just my 2 cents, but with so many great options (other than watching tv) I think it should be a 2nd priority to any physical activity. The relationships, school work, and extra-curriculars can easily fill a majority of our time.

kathywhite

PF Regular
Feb 19, 2011
Findhorn, Scotland
Jake72 said:
My brother and his wife limits the screen time their kids get, they are allowed to watch one tv show every week or so. When they are over at my house and my TV is on those kids are glued to it. I've just noticed that when the TV is always there and always on, it's not as interesting as it is when it's an extra special treat.

Yes, this happens to my kids too. They do actually sit down and single pointedly watch TV when they are given the opportunity. We stay with friends in France who have a similar TV on as a kind of background thing that you describe happens in your home. Their girls float in and out watching or not, my two GLUED.

Benefit - rarely when I do have a very important phone call, urgent task to do and need to occupy them I know I can glue them to something TV can go on and guarentee me the 1/2 hour I need.
Benefit - people mention the educational factor of TV. We put on a DVD that suits them and the actually watch it. Once it's over I observe they play and act out what they have seen. Digest it and absorb it fully. What they watch seems to really go in. (although studies have shown it takes much longer for kids to learn something from a TV than it does if show by a person in real time).

Still holding my opinion and question that developmentally we might be stunting our children's growth with too much screen time and I can see from these posts that I'm a lone voice in a crowd of media imput !!

kathywhite

PF Regular
Feb 19, 2011
Findhorn, Scotland
<t>I just got sent an email from the whitedot organization in the UK: "Kids get excited at how easy they find not-watching. <br/>
If at the end of the day they haven't watched TV, there's such pride."<br/>
<br/>
The People Behind It<br/>
<br/>
The TV-Turnoff was first proposed by Marie Winn in her 1977 book, The Plug-In Drug. The idea was taken up in earnest by the non-profit group the TV Turnoff Project, and made an international event by the Media Foundation in Vancouver (publishers of Adbusters magazine), the Society for Ecology and Culture in Bhutan and Ladakh, and by White Dot in Great Britain.<br/>
Others<br/>
Aside from anti-television campaigns, the TV-Turnoff is endorsed by a large number of health, education and social organisations. What follows is only a partial list:<br/>
<br/>
Children’s Defence Fund, Libraries for the Future,The American Medical Association, American Federation of Teachers, National Association for the Education of Young Children, National Association of Elementary Schools, American Psychiatric Association, Council for Basic Education, American Heart Association, Association of Library Service to Children, National Parenting Association, Family Research Council, Student Environmental Action Coalition, Child Welfare League of America<br/>
<br/>
that's a lot of kudos to switching off the TV !!</t>

pikibrian

Banned
Feb 28, 2011
Half an hour a week limit is insane. I understand your concerns, but sheltering your children to that degree is going to harm them socially. If you don't allow your children to be exposed to television and other technologies they are going to go to school and be social misfits guaranteed.

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
I know my kids have a great time when they are playing with friends and being social rather than watching TV or playing video games.

I like the kinect stuff that requires movement. My 7 yr old has worked up a sweat playing those games.

We denied him the games on Saturday due to attitude when he does play lately. He spent the day with other activities with his friends and built some fun things with blocks and played with matchbox cars.

They also spent a lot of time in the basement playing imaginary games. I would much rather see this kind of activity and for my 7 yr old boundaries are needed in order to make sure it happens.

ToysandGamesRep

Mar 1, 2011
In regards to the screen time for children. I think this kind of depends on maybe what they are doing and or watching while in front of the screen. I see no problem of children in front of the television watching say the discovery channel, History channel or something educational. In our house we just purchased the XBOX Kinect and now the kids are in front of the screen alot of hours but they are actually exercising with the Kinect.
I know a website located at oys and Games Reporter.com that offers good advice and tips about toys and games suggestions for children if you do infact feel that they are spending too much time in front of the TV. I think you will find some of the information useful and relevant. The chess article is interesting because it shows lessons learned while playing this game that children don't even realizing they're learning. Have a great day!

troy74

Mar 9, 2011
Hi
its always a hard balance and you're in constant competition with their peers but punishment/reward schemes seem to work well and it teaches some good life lessons for the future whilst creating moderation in their screen time