I hate men!!!!!...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Ari2 said:
Lissa first posted this in the "Pet Peeves" thread: link. I guess a mod granted her wish and moved it to start another thread.
Same thing happened to me ... see http://www.parentingforums.org/f16/anyone-watch-lost-5777.html[/URL]

I just posted his pic in the hotties thread and then... boom - new thread.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
Why do men never show emotion?

You ask such good questions Lissa. :)

Boys in general are raised to be tough. I played football in High School, and that was a survival of the fittist both physically and emotionally. Every player was expected to suck it up and be a man.

What I find even more interesting is how so many women are initially attracted to men who are emotionally shut down. For whatever reason they like that in a man during the early stages of a relationship. However, later as the relationship starts to become more and more serious, the woman wants her man to open up and be softer, show feelings, and talk about their deepest thoughts and insecurities. That is when things start to get difficult.

This just a generalization and nobody fits any profile perfectly. There are women who love men who are just one of the girls. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
jtee said:
What I find even more interesting is how so many women are initially attracted to men who are emotionally shut down. For whatever reason they like that in a man during the early stages of a relationship. However, later as the relationship starts to become more and more serious, the woman wants her man to open up and be softer, show feelings, and talk about their deepest thoughts and insecurities. That is when things start to get difficult.
That is quite interesting. Never thought of it that way.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
HappyMomma said:
Unfortunately, I think there are too many women out there that think they can change a man.

You can say that again! I have several friends who thought they could, and the results were disastrous. One of the best pieces of advice I got from my Mom was, "Don't ever think you can change a man!"

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
What about the men who start out soft yet strong and then become detached and unrelatable? That drives me insane! For six months I got compliments and romance and affection. Not a ton, but at least a daily, "Hun, I love it when you wear that top" or something. Then we went through a really stressful move and it became, "Hun, have you seen my dip, and whats for dinner?" **shivers** I'm lucky if I even get a kiss in a day unless I go out of my way to distract him from the TV (and there is no dip in his mouth, GAG!).

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Trina said:
You can say that again! I have several friends who thought they could, and the results were disastrous. One of the best pieces of advice I got from my Mom was, "Don't ever think you can change a man!"

Peter Pan Syndrome

NiallNai

PF Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
Lissa said:
Why do men never show emotion?
I'll quote an old Dennis Miller bit for this one.

"Ladies, don't ask us how we feel. We don't know how we feel. We don't even know HOW we feel?"

In response to Ivy (I think was the post below about weepy, sissy guys): Yeah, it's a precarious perch for men. Too little emotion and we're distant, too much and we're weepy, sissy guys. So 9 times out of 10 we go for distant because it is sure a hell of a lot better than being thought of as a weepy, sissy guy.

I'm a school psychologist. Psychology and counseling have been my thing for my entire career. I have a pretty good idea of the source of my emotions and reactions and I believe that emotions are neither good or bad. But even I am still cautious about the amount of emotion I demonstrate (or at least the type; happiness, humor, etc are all very safe). Even I do want to appear to be a sissy guy.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
My dh is book smart and will present his emotions in a very "matter of fact" kind of way. He's very professional. He's not the type that fixes things around the house so I made a comment a few times about how he is not handy and he seems to do the girly things around the house so the next time he came to visit that man fixed everything in the house. lmbo He had to prove himself.
Neither me nor my husband are cryers. I don't have time to be weak. I've only seen dh cry when he talks about missing out on the kids lives for so long and so he should in my opinion.
Yes I am bitter today. hahaha

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I get emotional over a wider range of things, but my husband cries more easily than I do. I really hate crying. I think he has a healthier attitude about it, which is that he is confident with himself so that something like crying doesn't bother him. When we started dating one thing that really attracted me to him was his saying that there's only a two or three things anyone could say to him that would really hurt (as in bullying or being nasty) - the rest he knows would be untrue. And he really doesn't get offended by much of anything as a result. His strong sense of self and confidence is wonderful IMO. The fact that he cries more at movies than I do is completely fine with me, and we joke about it a lot.