I need some help Mommies (and dads?)...

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Ok, here goes...

So yesterday some friends came over with a gift for Kayleigh.

Oh Yay! a toy makeup kit (Arrrggg)

So she asked my permission if she could put some on, (I have a rule, but made an exception this time). I made her understand that this is a treat, and it will not be an everyday thing, and only around the house, AND she must wash her face when she's done playing...she agreed.

She was so happy when I handed it to her and gave her the OK. I gave her a hand-mirror, and left her to do it on her own...first of all, I have know idea how she learned to do this, when her Mom was alive, she wore very little makeup, and thats over 2 years ago.

She did pretty good, on her own...Is this like a built in instinct ladies?

When the time is right, my plan is to send her to a friend of mine who is a professional makeup artist, to show her how to do it right.

Why do they make toy makeup kits??????

My question is...what is an appropriate age? ...25? ....38? :)

Pics for fun: "Why Me?"....although the pink nose made me laugh.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my personal feelings are that toy make up is OK at home with permission but we don't wear it out unless mommy says it's OK. I'm not really sure when the right age is to allow make up...I'm leaning towards 13ish

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
fallon said:
my personal feelings are that toy make up is OK at home with permission but we don't wear it out unless mommy says it's OK. I'm not really sure when the right age is to allow make up...I'm leaning towards 13ish
That's what I was thinking, as well the same age I decided on regarding ear piercing.

It's sortof a dream of mine that one day she will ask my permission (13 or older) and we will make a day of it, actually sounds kinda fun to me.

She asked for it again today, but I said no because we were about to go out for lunch, she understood...hasn't asked since we go home (fingers crossed)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
What a doll! Although we've never had toy makeup, I like fallon's rules.

My DD is tomboyish and wants nothing to do with makeup. Not too long ago we were visiting with relatives. DD's cousin (7) was applying toy makeup and kept asking DD if she wanted some. DD politely said, "No, thank you," several times before my niece asked, "What's wrong with you? Girls are supposed to like makeup!" My DD replied, "Actually, that's not true. I'M a girl and I don't like makeup." LOL!

As for real makeup, I may change my mind down the road, but I'm thinking at least 15-16.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think the age to allow it really depends on the child and the parents. It could be different for everyone. If 13 rolls around and I don't think she's ready the age will be raised. Nothings written in stone

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
fallon said:
I think the age to allow it really depends on the child and the parents. It could be different for everyone. If 13 rolls around and I don't think she's ready the age will be raised. Nothings written in stone
I'm kinda hopin' I can push it to 15+, but.....

My (secret) deal, is that anytime after her 13th birthday, she can ask my permission to get her ears pierced.

I wonder if she'll forget for 2-3 years.....something tells me NO.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Music dad you will be at a piercer the day she turns 13, lol..don't kid yourself!

I think she is one of the cutest kids I have ever seen, and she did do a pretty good job! Middle school is around the time I started wearing minimal makeup, so I was about 12 (a year younger than everyone else.) I only wore it because it was new and fun. Now you'd be lucky to see me in it once a month. lol

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Skyburning said:
Music dad you will be at a piercer the day she turns 13, lol..don't kid yourself!

I think she is one of the cutest kids I have ever seen, and she did do a pretty good job! Middle school is around the time I started wearing minimal makeup, so I was about 12 (a year younger than everyone else.) I only wore it because it was new and fun. Now you'd be lucky to see me in it once a month. lol
So, I guess I have her 13th birthday planned.

Thanks also for the reasurance that she might not turn into Tammy Faye.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Music-dad said:

lol..there will be moments where she does some truly odd looking things to her face. But she'll grow up and grow out of it, its part of being a "girl." My advice is to stick to buying her neutral/muted colors when the time comes.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Music-dad said:

LMBO!

I'm also going to wait until 13 for ear piercing, but I don't know if my DD will even want it done. We'll see. My niece's ears are pierced. This is the same cousin above with the play makeup. She asked DD once, "B, when are you getting your ears pierced like mine?" DD: "Maybe when I'm a teenager, but maybe not."

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Skyburning said:
lol..there will be moments where she does some truly odd looking things to her face. But she'll grow up and grow out of it, its part of being a "girl." My advice is to stick to buying her neutral/muted colors when the time comes.
Great advice, and very reassuring. I remember when my Dad brought my sister to a commercial shoot at 14 to meet and assist the makeup artists. She learned some stuff even Mom didn't know, and she always looked great. However sometime in her early 20's she just stopped wearing it, other than for social events and stuff where she needed to notch it up a bit.

Kayleigh brought a book home about piercing ears last week, but lucky for me, it was about the mommy and daddy waiting until the little girl was older...I think she got the drift of the book.

This weeks book?....Guinea Pigs....NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Skyburning said:
Lol, the girl doesn't have a pet? Poor Kayleigh(sp?) :p
(yup, spelling is right)

I've thought about it lately, she used to have fish, but the upkeep was insane. Her Mom was highly allergic to most animals, K seems to be OK so far with the animals in her life.

I'm partial to dogs, like yellow, golden and black labs, but before I go to all the expense, I would like to be certain there are no allergies first.

She is a very responsible girl, I think she would help me with feeding and letting out in the yard, bathing, grooming etc., and the walks would be fun for her and I.

I may make an announcement soon :) stay tuned.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
:) I'm so excited! Any friends with dogs you could take her around? I'd hesitate to get a lab with the shedding factor but daily brushing would help tons with that. I'd recommend going to a shelter and getting an adult dog that you already know the temperament of and skipping that puppy mess altogether, lol.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
To cute. They learn from just looking at pretty people who wear make up or see it on tv, cover girl. Nothing wrong with it. My daughters will not be allowed make up until they are twelve and I will show them the proper way. They are allowed clear lip gloss now and they are six.
Sometimes a professional are not very good at showing girls, it would depend on her experience and how long she's been doing it. Skin toned for younger girls, no bright anything. Blues and pink are a huge no no.
I let my girls put it on me and I'll look like a clown but it's good for a laugh. My husband allows them to put his hair all up in 100 hair ties and it's hysterical. It's great memories for growing up.
Don't waste money on cosmetic counters, you can find great make up (eye color, blush, mascara, eyeliner) at drug stores. Starting a child on a mild face moisterizer at night can never hurt and will actually slow her aging process as she gets older. Scientifically proven. ;) My girls use sensitive skin dove face moisterizer when they get out of the bath just like I do. We also put on baby oil.
I love having little girls.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Skyburning said:
:) I'm so excited! Any friends with dogs you could take her around? I'd hesitate to get a lab with the shedding factor but daily brushing would help tons with that. I'd recommend going to a shelter and getting an adult dog that you already know the temperament of and skipping that puppy mess altogether, lol.
There are a few dogs in her life, and she seems to be fine with them so far, when we go to the cottage, Grandma and Grandad bring their yellow lab and cat, and we've been there weeks at a time, so I think we're gonna be OK. A buddy of mine is thinking of breeding his female Jack Russell, I get first dibs if I want one.

I would love to get an Irish Terrier, but I hear they are rare, and expensive (anybody know if this is really true, haven't looked for one in years)

link to pic