I recently read an article about some pit bulls killing a child....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Dadu, at work the other day someone came in with a min pin and he was HUGE!!! 35lbs!!!! You should have seen him, he was a beast. A real sweet heart too haha.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
No not really miniature! lol Jenny Craig!! You know, he was pretty fat for sure, but he was also very tall and long! He was just a really really big minpin. haha

glp

Oct 27, 2010
Buffalo,NY
I had a 30# female pitbull and a 55# male pitbull. Wish I still had them. They were great with everyone, except some dogs. My brother and sister have pitbulls as well and they are the best dogs to have in a family. Very tollerant but stuborn to others.

Mommy4Life

Banned
Oct 21, 2010
Pitbulls have a bad reputation. They are extremely loyal dogs and it depends on the owner and how they were raised.

Maria

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2010
South
Where I come from, pit bulls are used mainly to hunt wild boars. If I remember correctly, this is what pit bulls were actually bred for... hunting wild boars.

That being said, I know people who have pit bulls solely for being pets. They tell me how much the pits are big babies who would never bite anyone, but I am terrified of pit bulls. I have known personally three different people who were bit by three completely different pit bulls. One was an adult who used the pit bull to dog fight (he had that one coming).

The other two were small children. In both instances the mama pit bull had puppies and the small kids decided to play with the puppies. Mama didn't like that and bit the kids. It is sad, because the parents just didn't expect the dog to react like that, but pit bulls are different with kids when it comes to their puppies. One of the kids had half her face ripped off and she was just three years old. I myself was attacked by a pit bull, but I was able to avoid being bitten cause I hopped the fence. This pit bull would chase me every day on my way home from school and I would always have to hop a fence or climb a tree... the owner never took me seriously.

All this being said from my personal experience, I think pit bulls are fine as pets so long as the pit bull is sterilized. You should never allow children around a dog who has a litter of puppies, especially if it is a pit bull. I know it may shock you me saying this after what I just said, but I really do feel in most instances it is the owners fault.

PurpleHaze

Banned
Dec 1, 2010
The child violated federal law by trespassing on to private property. The parents should have taught the child better.

raven

Feb 8, 2011
I really don't think you could blame the dogs. They are breed to be agressive. The owners are completely responsible. they should not have left that child alone where it so easily wander into the garage where the pit bulls were kept