I'm quitting.........

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
So im quitting smoking cold turkey. I just finished my last cigarette, and to be honest, im anxious, but I know ultimately its better for my health and my family. Im going to work out more then ever to compensate for the rediculous cravings haha. I want to chronicle my first two weeks on here (if thats ok) since i dont have a blog, and u guys are probably the most supportive ppl i know besides my hubby. I will let you all know how day 1 goes tomorrow! lol

PS. sorry for being MIA, life's been busy. started daycare with a little guy in my house, and hayleigh and him keep me on my toes!!!

wish me luck!!!:rolleyes:

Carney

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
Hi xox,
Some tips helpful in quitting smoking:
Consult your doctor and follow his advice,
Keep your teeth clean,
Avoid going to places where you might find some smokers,
Keep the money you would spend in a saving jar and plan for a treat tomorrow,
Do start exercise and try to be regular.<U>
</U>

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Hey ilu, You go girl! You won't be sorry, that I promise you. I quit smoking about 8 1/2 years ago, and I've never looked back.

Carney's tips are good, mostly, as long as you don't allow your doctor to prescribe some sort of nicotine replacement drug. (Cause its kinda pointless to "quit smoking" only to get your nicotine fix some other way...:rolleyes:)

Here's my advice - don't tell yourself "I must NEVER EVER smoke again". That's just too overwhelming. Focus on today. Don't smoke TODAY. Tomorrow will take care of itself. And before you know it, you'll go several days without craving, and it only gets easier from there.

Two things that worked for me when I quit - Find something to keep your hands busy - like a stress ball, a toy, anything! And learn some relaxation techniques - like breathing exercises or something - cause smoking calms you down, and you're going to have to learn to calm down in other ways if you are going to quit for good ;)

Lastly - do check in here every day and tell us how its going! :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's AWESOME ilu!! Good for you!! Now if only my DH would follow the example lol. Stay strong, you can do it! :)

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I'm very proud that you're taking this step to helping yourself and others around you be more healthy. The only thing I can think of to say is to be wary of how much more you eat when you've stopped. I know many people put on weight while stopping/after stopping, because either the food tastes better or they use the food as a support/crutch/new addiction. You definitely don't want to trade one health issue for another, so I applaud your decision to increase exercise to help in your efforts.

susie99

Jul 19, 2011
Good luck!
I quit not too long ago, I've never felt healthier or happier (after the initial hump hehe)

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
thanks guys and gals! ive got a pretty good eating regime going which im not gonna mess up!!!! im 12 hours without one, and feel like im literally gonna die, but hopefully it will get better! both my inlaws smoke, so its gonna be hard to be around them but i will manage!!!! todays doing good, hopefully tomorrow will too! :)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Good for you Michele. Hayleigh will be so proud of you! I gave up (and for me it was chew, not cigarettes, some say that's even harder, dunno) 10 years ago. Part of it is that you just have to convince yourself "I don't do that anymore." You are going to have cravings, I still want tobacco at times 10 years later, and I've almost bought some from time to time, and I just tell myself, "that's not me, I don't use that." So if I don't have it I won't use it. I'm also eating better and trying to start working out, but life's been busy with lot's of yard work and such and it's 100+ heat index all this week, so I'm succumbing to the excuses. But at least I'm down 2+ pounds in the last week.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's awesome IADad!! I've been trying to eat better too, although I hate to admit that unfortunately I just haven't found the time or energy to start excersizing yet. :/ As the baby starts getting older it will get easier. But anyway, I gained a total of 20lbs while pregnant and I have so far lost 21lbs! lol But I want to lose a lot more so I'm keeping it up. Breastfeeding is at least helpful, it takes an extra 500 calories a day out of the body! ;) Don't we have a losing weight thread somewhere? We should all update our progresses and support each other in it lol.

Dadu - Weren't you trying the ecigs out? DH tried them and used them for a week or two and he just couldn't keep it up. He said it wasn't the same and they were too much of a pain in the butt. Blah! Oh well. :(

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Breastfeeding is at least helpful, it takes an extra 500 calories a day out of the body! ;)
yeah, up that's not really a diet strategy I'm cut out to take advantage of right now.

Good for you for keeping going. They other reason to keep going is that when you stop BF, that's another 500 cal you're going to either have to not eat or exercise away, so probably best to adjust your life now and keep it a habit.

I opened up a new thread. See the "lighten up" thread under "Health and Nutrition."

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Okay okay, helpful for ME lol. :p And yes, it will continue to be helpful for a long time if everything works out how I want it to, since I hope to breastfeed for at least a year. :)

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
congratulations XOX

I quit 8 yrs ago and have never regretted it and will never go back. I don't miss those stinky things at all. My husband still smokes but we all have to do it in our own time.

I went to a quit smoking class and they gave us what every we needed to help us quit for free. It was offered by our health dept.

I took prescribed Ziban for about 3 mos, it takes that awful urge away completely, and I've never had the urge again.

It worked really well. You really don't have to suffer so much, talk to your dr if you think your gonna freak out. Because if I can do it so can you.

Remember the nicotine is only in your system for a few days, after that it's the mental addiction that you have to learn to control.

Good luck :v_SPIN:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
xox.ilu.xox said:
im 12 hours without one, and feel like im literally gonna die, but hopefully it will get better! both my inlaws smoke, so its gonna be hard to be around them but i will manage!!!! todays doing good, hopefully tomorrow will too! :)
Sucks, doesn't it? But you won't really die ;) just try to keep busy, so you won't have time to think about it. Go for a walk, play with Hayleigh, anything... If you could do 12 hours, you can do another 12.

Hang in there - it'll only be a few days, then you'll start to feel better.

Edited to add: I think ct is the best way - its hard, but at least its over quickly. I don't know about Ziban, but other things like patches and gums etc just end up prolonging the suffering!

Last edited:

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Xero said:
Dadu - Weren't you trying the ecigs out? DH tried them and used them for a week or two and he just couldn't keep it up. He said it wasn't the same and they were too much of a pain in the butt. Blah! Oh well. :(
Yup, but I ended up having to completely walk away. E-cigs aren't quite the same, but they're definitely a close alternative. But, I just couldn't use them to quit.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Michele, tell us about your progress/struggles etc, we're here to help (just imagine her sitting in a corner arms wrapped around her knees rocking back and forth.)

Hope it's going okay...