I'm quitting.........

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
xox.ilu.xox said:
thanks!!! its been almost 24 hours, and im feeling pretty good. i had to go to emerg last night, cuz it felt like i had bowling balls in my lungs. turns out i have a chest infection, so i get to take some antibiotics. what fun! i just want it to go away :(
That's too bad, hope you're better soon, but a good time NOT to be smoking, right?

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
xox

Have you asked your dr about Zyban or it's equivilant. Today there is no reason to suffer so much. It really helps and can't hurt to ask about it.

Good Luck

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
How's it going Michelle? You know - the first 48 hours are the worst, then it starts to get better. After about 4 days or so, you should start to feel a lot better. So hang in there, drink lots of water and fruit juices (it helps to flush the nicotine from your system) and when you start to crave really badly - concentrate on getting through TODAY without smoking. Let tomorrow take care of itself.

I don't know anything about Zyban (I quit cold turkey), but as long as it doesn't contain any nicotine and if it could make life easier, why not ask your doctor about it? Just remember to also ask how long you have to take it, and what happens when you stop...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
That drug has some pretty nasty side effects, such as fitting, it can cause hypertension as well, as it is actually an antidepressant those who take it without a psychological need often experience intense depression, which is why it has been linked to suicides.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Ok, so that just confirms again that there is no free ticket out of addiction. You just have to fight through it. And in that case I'm still a fan of cold-turkeuy, even if just because its the quickest way to get it over and done with...

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
It's actually an antidepressant, known as Wellburtrin (amoung others) generic name Bupropion and no more negative side effect as any other anti-depressant.

I've learned it's best not to read to much about medications on the internet because some very good and useful meds are necessary and once we tell others a particular med is dangerous it might prevent someone else from benefiting from it's usefulness.

I suggest they talk to their doctor about it, only their medical professional knows them well enough to encourage or discourage them from taking a certain med.

Yes there are many types of medicines that can help people from quitting an addiction. It's not as easy for some people to go cold turkey as it is for others and I wouldn't advise someone to do it unless they know what they are in for.

Why not ask your doctor if there is any medicines you can take while going through withdrawal symptoms, quitting smoking (as other addictions) is very differcult as I too was a smoker, and I used Zyban for a few months and had absolutely NO negative side effects at all. As a matter of fact, Zyban took the 'urge' or craving away. It was worth being on it for 3 mos to me.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Jeremy+3 said:
That drug has some pretty nasty side effects, such as fitting, it can cause hypertension as well, as it is actually an antidepressant those who take it without a psychological need often experience intense depression, which is why it has been linked to suicides.

Jeremy

I went to a 6 week smoking ceccession course and learned about the smoking addiction. Of course NO ONE should take any drug without first talking to their doctor about it. Only their doctor knows if they could tolerate the medicine or not. The duration one would be on this medicine for quitting smoking is 3 months.

These side effects are the same or similar to most anti depressant meds.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
singledad said:
Ok, so that just confirms again that there is no free ticket out of addiction. You just have to fight through it. And in that case I'm still a fan of cold-turkeuy, even if just because its the quickest way to get it over and done with...
Confirms? lol Cold turkey doesn't work most of the time. Some people need help to quit addictions.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
NancyM said:
Confirms? lol Cold turkey doesn't work most of the time. Some people need help to quit addictions.
LOL, Of course people need help! I believe I know that better than most :rolleyes: I never said its easy. I just don't believe that the "help" needs to come in pill form.

The thing is, detoxing or withdrawal, which is where Michelle is, is only the first step, and quite frankly the easiest part of beating an addiction. My point is that using band-aids to try to ease withdrawal most often just end up dragging it out. If Michelle is going to stay away from cigs in the long run, she has a lot of work to do. She will need to change her mindset. Also - Nicotine is an anti-depressant. She needs to learn to live without it.

You can't concentrate on what to do next while you're still focussed on what not to do - ie. Don't smoke.

Seriously - as much as it may suck (and it sucks big time!) nicotine withdrawal is only a few days - I won't exactly kill anyone. In any case, its still up to Michelle if she wants to take the risks Jeremy mentioned, or just tough it out. As I said - its not a free ticket: there are risks involved, that may or may not be worth it.

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Ok, I've just done some reading up about zyban.

So Zyban is Wellbutrin. Which means you can't just stop, you need to taper off or risk falling into a severe depression. (so why not just taper off cigs, and save the money? )
Also - long term results are not good, because (they say) smokers tend to relapse after years of not smoking. (Or maybe - my guess - because nothing really changed?)
Lastly - It does not address the psychological aspect.

But hey, why not ask a doctor? Just don't expect a miracle cure!

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
singledad said:
LOL, Of course people need help! I believe I know that better than most :rolleyes: I never said its easy. I just don't believe that the "help" needs to come in pill form.

The thing is, detoxing or withdrawal, which is where Michelle is, is only the first step, and quite frankly the easiest part of beating an addiction. My point is that using band-aids to try to ease withdrawal most often just end up dragging it out. If Michelle is going to stay away from cigs in the long run, she has a lot of work to do. She will need to change her mindset. Also - Nicotine is an anti-depressant. She needs to learn to live without it.

You can't concentrate on what to do next while you're still focussed on what not to do - ie. Don't smoke.

Seriously - as much as it may suck (and it sucks big time!) nicotine withdrawal is only a few days - I won't exactly kill anyone. In any case, its still up to Michelle if she wants to take the risks Jeremy mentioned, or just tough it out. As I said - its not a free ticket: there are risks involved, that may or may not be worth it.
Nicotine withdrawal is as short or long as one makes it. I've been though it also and must have quit at least 25 times before I finally did it. Addictions are addictions. The drug you take may be more intense and dangerous, but the part of the addiction in the brain is the same. The person's need for their drug is the same.
So even if nicotine is out of the body in 3 days....doens't mean the craving is gone. This is where some presc drugs help.

And of course only a qualified professional would know if it's in his patients best interest or not.

I only suggest a person talk to their doctor if they feel they need more help quitting and find out what other options are out there. I do agree that there is no miracle cure for any addiction. :) have a wonderful day SD.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
NancyM said:
Nicotine withdrawal is as short or long as one makes it. I've been though it also and must have quit at least 25 times before I finally did it. Addictions are addictions. The drug you take may be more intense and dangerous, but the part of the addiction in the brain is the same. The person's need for their drug is the same.
Agreed (In principle, at least)
NancyM said:
So even if nicotine is out of the body in 3 days....doens't mean the craving is gone. This is where some presc drugs help.
Ok, fine. Obviously it helped for you, and I'm sure it also helped a lot of other people. I, on the other hand, chose to rather acquire skills to minimize the cravings, and deal with them when the come, instead of masking them temporarily. So when I get a craving for a cigarette (and yes, I still get them!), I have a whole list of things I can do to resist it, starting with postponing the cig, to finding another way of dealing with whatever triggered the craving.

See, you have to stop taking those meds sooner or later, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the cravings return when you stop the meds... (Because nothing has changed, has it? And if nothing changes, nothing changes...)

But, as you may have noticed, I never recommended her not to talk to her doctor about it! Its just that I've have many MANY bad experiences with drugs that are supposed to "cure" addiction, or make quitting easy, including, but not limited to, nicotine patches (tried them, tried to use nicotine gum to get off the patches, ended up using cigarettes to get off the gum, thus coming full circle :rolleyes: :eek:). But OK, it seems Zyban doesn't actually contain and nicotine, so perhaps it shouldn't be compared to those methods.

Anyway, lets stop derailing this thread. I think we've given Michelle a good idea of both sides of the matter, so she now has a lot of information to use to make up her own mind. :)

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
The good news to Michelle that I was trying to express is that Zyban has taken away my craven for smoking and that craving hasn't returned for me. I haven't gotten that craven for the last 8 and a half years. Isn't that great.!

That's what I wanted her to know. It may not work as well for everyone, but even if something takes the edge off long enough for a person to get through the worse part, it may be worth the try. Under a doctors watch it should be safe enough to consider for a short duration.

Lets not derail the thread, I agree, but I think it's important for anyone who has experience with cigarette addiction, and has quit, to pass along any helpful information that may help another.

Happy Day :wink:

Shiroi Tora

PF Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2011
Good for you. I quit chewing (Cherry Skoal) over 10 years ago. I used Nicotine gum...never went back to chew...now if I could just stop the gum :)

Shiroi Tora

PF Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2011
Actually, addiction can also be good...a positive addiction as in jogging. I say fall in love with a positive addiction...do it to counter the cravings when they strike...you will soon want it more than anything else...and try Nicotine gum when you feel you might fail.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
there are pills that help called Champex. my mum and dad smoked from the age of 16 to the age of 46 and they both started taking Champex and stopped smoking within a month. then you just take the champex for another month and your off everything for good its prescribed by a doctor. have you thought about going down that path?

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
xox.ilu.xox said:
thanks guys! I dunno, the cold turkey is kickin my ass. i keep relapsing, it makes me mad, but i know its trial and error....just gotta keep trying!!!!
I'm rooting for you xox you'll do it in time. :)