Is it ok for a man to give a bath to a 4 year old female?...

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I've got a four year old boy and a two year old girl. I have my baths with them each night because a: it saves water and b: it saves time and c: I get to spend time with the kids each night.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
Is the mother NOT around where she can not bathe her own child? I think it's odd he calls it "fun time".
huh.

well I'd hate to be your kid then, if baths aren't fun in your house.

do you have ANY toys in your bath tub?

You know... they have these things called BUBBLES which I hear is sometimes a fun way for kids to get introduced to soap...

... one time.... I even saw my kids PLAYING IN THE BATH!!! Oh the schock! The Horror!

...and you know what's worse????!??! Sometimes I...... JOIN IN!

auauahahghguahghghahguahgughgughaughg!!!!!! We're doooooooooooooooomed.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
Is the mother NOT around where she can not bathe her own child? I think it's odd he calls it "fun time".
maybe... here's a whacky thought... maybe this man is a Responsible Man who takes his role as a partner to this kid's mother very seriously... maybe he's one of those strange beings which are the opposite of the Deadbeat Boyfriend.

Where's mum? Maybe she's out on the couch reading a magazine and having a coffee while her daughter and her partner bond as father and daughters should.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
lbartowski said:
My girlfriend and her 4 year old daughter from a previous marriage have been living with me for a year (I know.....not the ideal situation, but that's the way it goes). The little girl looks forward to me giving her a bath and I feel like its a way for us to bond. I don't get in the bath with her. To me it seems perfectly normal and we are both totally comfortable with it. I shampoo her hair and scrub her body (not her genitals) with soap....but a friend of my girlfriend (not exactly an ideal parent in my opinion) claims that its wrong for a male to give a 4 yr old female a bath. Its absolutely not a sexual thing for me!! Its just a fun thing we do and we get clean in the process. Any thoughts????
my advice: let your girlfriend's friend know that you're grateful that they feel they can be open and honest with their ridiculous notions of how you should run the domestic duties of your own private life.

Don't even mention that it's not a sexual thing for you. That goes without saying.

Why on earth should there be a nudity taboo within your own household? Let your girlfriend's friend get over it. It's her problem.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
evilbrent said:
huh.

You know... they have these things called BUBBLES which I hear is sometimes a fun way for kids to get introduced to soap...

... one time.... I even saw my kids PLAYING IN THE BATH!!! Oh the schock! The Horror!

You REALLY need a xanax. My children take baths and I'm sure they have fun, I'm just not in there having "fun" with them or in the tub like you are with your children, that's just twisted and disturbing.

Bingo

Jan 3, 2008
I don't see the problem with it.
I only have a problem with pedophiles bathing children. It is no different than me bathing a 4 year old boy. Let's not turn bath time into something sexual and wrong.
As soon as one of the parties (child or adult) feels uncomfortable then it is time to stop.

superdad99

Nov 7, 2007
I think it is cool for a dad to bathe his daughter. The family can decide as a whole when she gets too old. I'm guessing that nine times out of 10 the daughter will get modest and be the first to object.

On the other hand, I don't think it is cool for any guys other than dad to be bathing little girls. As a man, I don't want any friends dads or boyfriends touching my little girl. Also, like Kaytee said, you are just asking for trouble.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
You REALLY need a xanax. My children take baths and I'm sure they have fun, I'm just not in there having "fun" with them or in the tub like you are with your children, that's just twisted and disturbing.[/B][/quote]

while the pp was a bit sarcastic I have agree. My friends husband bathes with his 2 year old daughter. Of course he doens't like people to know (so don't tell) lol i think that is a wonderful thing that he does it. Heck I barely could get my husband to change our daughters diapers when she was little because he was nervous that she was a girl and he would touch her wrong. Not that he would do something innapropriate but on accident.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
evilbrent said:
huh.

LOL...I can't believe I missed this somehow!

Too funny. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Bingo said:
I don't see the problem with it.
I only have a problem with pedophiles bathing children. It is no different than me bathing a 4 year old boy. Let's not turn bath time into something sexual and wrong.
As soon as one of the parties (child or adult) feels uncomfortable then it is time to stop.
What ever happened to Supermario?

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Kaytee said:
while the pp was a bit sarcastic I have agree. My friends husband bathes with his 2 year old daughter. Of course he doens't like people to know (so don't tell) lol i think that is a wonderful thing that he does it. Heck I barely could get my husband to change our daughters diapers when she was little because he was nervous that she was a girl and he would touch her wrong. Not that he would do something innapropriate but on accident.
I remember (very briefly) having that same kind of concern with my son - would I be able to kiss him properly? Would I be comfortable being close, skin to skin with him?

I've been raised perfectly normally - which is to say that I almost NEVER touch another male unless it's to shake hands. I once had a Scottish boss who was quite comfortable putting his hand on my shoulder while looking at my computer screen or (more commonly) grabbing my hand as he gesticulated wildly in some exciting story or other (really, not being sarcastic, his stories were fascinating).

I have also had the same pseudo-concerns about my daughter - the only vagina I've EVER seen in detail up to this point has been my wife's... I remember having to ask the midwife if you have to clean between a girl's labia when you're changing them - how should _I_ know??

I think that nudity and sexuality are totally different things - some of the most sexually intimate moments with my wife have been when we're fully clothed - and the way my son sometimes spends the entire day pantsless (we might as well get a tape-recorder and play "Tali, put your pants back on" as a loop).

But, you raise a good point, sometimes, even if we don't actually (evilly) sexualise these things there's still the fear to be overcome. Usually with reasonableness.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
evilbrent said:
I remember (very briefly) having that same kind of concern with my son - would I be able to kiss him properly? Would I be comfortable being close, skin to skin with him?

I've been raised perfectly normally - which is to say that I almost NEVER touch another male unless it's to shake hands. I once had a Scottish boss who was quite comfortable putting his hand on my shoulder while looking at my computer screen or (more commonly) grabbing my hand as he gesticulated wildly in some exciting story or other (really, not being sarcastic, his stories were fascinating).

I have also had the same pseudo-concerns about my daughter - the only vagina I've EVER seen in detail up to this point has been my wife's... I remember having to ask the midwife if you have to clean between a girl's labia when you're changing them - how should _I_ know??

I think that nudity and sexuality are totally different things - some of the most sexually intimate moments with my wife have been when we're fully clothed - and the way my son sometimes spends the entire day pantsless (we might as well get a tape-recorder and play "Tali, put your pants back on" as a loop).

But, you raise a good point, sometimes, even if we don't actually (evilly) sexualise these things there's still the fear to be overcome. Usually with reasonableness.
I can see how the uneasiness of it can be there. I kept telling my husband, he wouldn;t hurt her, told him how to clean her and all that. Now he is fine with it, of course getting him to change her diaper is not about uneasiness anymore, just about him not wanting to! lol

Anna78

PF Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007
London, UK
My husband baths my kids sometimes and hes not their Dad, but why should there be a problem its not sexual? I used to share a bath with Kayla when she was little, we were poor and it saved on money. It sounds like your partners friend is making a fuss for no reason

lbartowski

Dec 30, 2007
I agree. I think the friend is reaching for something to make us feel bad...she's just that kind of person. She lives alone now and her kids hate her so I think she's just angry. I appreciate all of your different points of view and I'm no expert on parenting, but I don't see anything wrong with it, and plan to continue doing it with the thought of teaching her how to do it herself in mind. The fact that someone took my thought that the bath was "fun" and twisted into something sick really angers me. "Fun"!! What's wrong with fun?!! It made me question the validity of this forum....but I guess that's just one person and everyone has the right to their own opinion.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
you are right in that everyone is here to share their opinions and some people will take things the wrong way and there is nothign we can do about it.

I agree bathtime is fun as well. When I take a shower with my 2 year old, I hold her and we splash in the water and yep it's fun!

Bingo

Jan 3, 2008
musicmom said:
Really?? I think it is odd that you think it is odd.