is mma ok to watch for a child?...

sd321

May 4, 2011
It really depends on their age and maturity level...I wouldn't let my kids watch it but they are young (5 and 7) and at an impressionable age.

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
so GSP won. did your kid watch that?

hey, i strongly encourage getting into martial arts. it teaches you discipline and humility and self-respect.

try checking out less popular martial arts like Ninjutsu because they have more emphasis on the values. Olympic sports martial arts can become a little glamorous. the art is discipline is lost

Swimdad

Banned
May 7, 2011
Great question. My wife also highly objects to my 4 year old son watching MMA.

To tell you the truth whenever he watches a little (by mistake! LOL) he kinda gets bored of it anyway.

However, we do like to have a little rumble on the carpet with each other. Good exercise for the both of us.

I guess you need to make it very clear that it is a SPORT and PROFESSION and not a way to beat up "Billy".

What about your kids learning KARATE - seems to be widely accepted now?

Slander98

May 10, 2011
I agree kids in MMA Martial arts etc... Tend to be more respectful & focused than kids with misconceptions of fighting.

coolaunt

Jul 12, 2011
I don't have kids myself but I do have nieces and nephews who used to hang out at my house a lot until they moved away. I remember a time when they were completely into wrestling. Now they're normally good kids, but at some point the "Irish Whip" was introduced into the games and someone what left crying. My point? I guess it's really a matter of explaining to the children what it is that you're watching.

Also, I guess there's what the other posters suggested, getting them into the sports -into a more controlled environment, might make kids understand the discipline more than just them getting it from the television.

JBKB3

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2011
Edmond, Ok
If my daughter was not in Martial Arts at the age of 5, I probably would not have let her watch it at that age. However, it was good for her to see the things she was learning in action. On that note last weekend at the age of 10 she obtained her Black Belt.

I don't think kids should just sit and watch fighting though... but then again it is not much worse than what they see on TV and even Cartoons. Remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, He-Man, even Coyote and Roadrunner...all had violent natures. It is up to the parent to explain to the kids that fighting is not acceptable except for in extreme circumstances.

JB