Is "under God" in the American Pledge of Allegiance appropriate?...

AndrewSr

Jan 19, 2012
Washington D.C.
parentastic said:
As far as I am concerned - and I say this as a Canadian, not as a US citizen - this has no place into any school. And not just the "under god" part, but the whole thing. To me, this pledge has 3 things that I deem unacceptable in any school:

1) It has a political flavor / agenda
2) It has christian religious references
3) It is taught to children who are too young to have critical thinking.

IMO, religion and politics should always be clearly separated.
And education and children should not be mixed with either of these.
But hey, that's just me. I am just glad I am not in USA.
This is EXACTLY how I feel, and I am a US citizen. Great job of summing this up!

AndrewSr

Jan 19, 2012
Washington D.C.
I would also add that the repetition of this pledge, like any other, is designed to program your subconscious towards acceptance and belief in a particular ideal. One might consider this to be brainwashing, on some level.

Ironically enough, our pledge used to be said while performing a Bellamy salute, which was practically identical to the salute used by Nazi's. This was changed in the mid-1900s to the hand-over-heart gesture. Just a little fun fact for a seemingly harmless pledge.

LucidKitty

PF Regular
Feb 25, 2012
Antoinette said:
what is the pledge of allegiance? i mean i have heard of it but what are the words and what is the point?

don't mean to sound ignorant or misinformed but we have nothing like this in Australia.. just the anthem.
I see you have a mac there :D

Kali

PF Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011
Louisville, KY
I'm agnostic and my fiance is atheist. Why would we want to speak about a nation built under a God we don't necessarily believe in? Not very fair to us. I would like to pledge my allegiance to my nation without speaking of a God.

LucidKitty

PF Regular
Feb 25, 2012
Kali said:
I'm agnostic and my fiance is atheist. Why would we want to speak about a nation built under a God we don't necessarily believe in? Not very fair to us. I would like to pledge my allegiance to my nation without speaking of a God.
*like*

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I guess I dont see the big deal. Especially folks who dont believe at all. Its not like some Nazi colonel is marching back and forth between the desks swatting them with his riding crop, dropping his monical each time someone leaves out the "A nation under god"

The argument would have more lead if whoever didnt believe also refused to take off work, or get paid triple time for holidays that had religious meaning.

I do crap all the time that I think is unnecessary or without justification. Just part of living in a place with other people.

Posting in a thread, blogging, ect is no big deal. But when it get to the point of the court system, rewriting historical documents. Well I just think its kinda silly.

Last edited:

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
American born.. and educated.. and taught at an early age to say my pledge. So my opinion is based off of exactly that.

A flag is flown to identify who you are. It was the original purpose. My flag is raised high to identify me as an American. I am proud of it.

The pledge to is not about brainwashing children. (although perhaps I'm speaking brainwashed if some theories are to be believed) :eek:

Here's what it mean to me.

<I>I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America</I>
I'm promising to be faithful to the country that this flag identifies and for what we stand for.
<I>and to the Republic for which it stands,</I>
our government in which the power rests with our citizens by vote and not by some other supreme power. Our freedom.
<I>one Nation </I>
my country of people both great and small
<I>under God,</I>
under what ever God they believe or not make no difference. ( We're founded off freedom of religion, have at it what ever way you will)
<I>indivisible,</I>
We are undivided. The civil war is over and we will stand as one in our beliefs for...
<I>with liberty and justice for all.</I>

I am patriotic. I believe in what my country stands for. I could care less what others think. I like living in a place that gives all races, religions, and genders the same right for the pursuit of happiness. I like that if I don't agree with something I can fight for change. I love that thats what I pledge a faithfulness to. All men and women created equal. The flag is a symbol of all that it stands for.

One more thing.. who said its against the law to burn the flag? People like me hate it... you don't like what it stands for, find another to stand under. But burning the flag covered under freedom of speech is it not? I'm pretty sure you CAN burn the symbol for the freedoms our country stands for... because of the freedoms our country allows. ;)

Last edited:

fundaddy

Feb 29, 2012
Cedar Park Tx
This question arises from the first amendment. I think the argument that suggests that guys like Jefferson were trying to avoid the madness that went on for centuries in Europe with the Roman Church and the Church of England is a pretty good argument.

This is a Thomas Jefferson quote -

<I>Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law. In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.</I>

Do you think the pledge of allegiance is what Jefferson was trying to protect us from? That's a pretty tough argument I think. And are we to just toss or rewrite the decleration of Independence because it says our inalienable rights are endowed by a Creator?