It's a.......

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Thanks everyone :) AK- no, she doesn't know yet. We wanted to give her some time to adjust to my GF moving in with us before we throw another change at her. Since she is adjusting better than we expected, we plan on telling her soon. Perhaps even as soon as this weekend, but we haven't made a final decision yet.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
adoptive dad said:
You thought of a name yet?
We have actually started thinking about names.

She wants to name him after her dad, but a shorter, simpler and more modern version. He has three very long, very old-fashioned names :rolleyes:) but we're still throwing around names. ;)

We want to also include my daughter in the name-picking exercise. We think it will make her feel more included in the whole thing.

And speaking of my daughter - we told her yesterday. For now, she's excited. Her best friend will get a baby sister in a few weeks, and she's been quite envious about her friend getting to be a big sister. So now she knows she'll also be a big sister, and she likes that idea.

She also came to the conclusion that if my GF's baby is to be her brother, that makes my GF her mother. She came to me a few hours after we told her, and asked me if she could call her mom. I told her that it was fine with me, but she'd have to ask my GF. So we went together and she asked her. Of course the answer was yes, but I wanted it to come from her. So now it's mom and dad :).

It's starting to feel like we're a real a family. I can't quite explain how happy that makes me :)

adoptive dad

Banned
Jun 26, 2013
Winchester UK
Aww that's really sweet Fern who was sat next to me when I read that wanted to know what I said 'thats sweet' to out loud and when she read it she said the same as me about her calling your gf mum. As for the names I think that's important you including her in the decisions when we picked out Tyger we made sure Caitlyn and Mathew got on well and Caitlyn had a voice in the naming. If we had another kid (something I'm up for but Fern isn't to sure about) I probably would call him after my dad or FIL and if a girl my Mum or MIL

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
singledad said:
We have actually started thinking about names.

She wants to name him after her dad, but a shorter, simpler and more modern version. He has three very long, very old-fashioned names :rolleyes:) but we're still throwing around names. ;)

We want to also include my daughter in the name-picking exercise. We think it will make her feel more included in the whole thing.

And speaking of my daughter - we told her yesterday. For now, she's excited. Her best friend will get a baby sister in a few weeks, and she's been quite envious about her friend getting to be a big sister. So now she knows she'll also be a big sister, and she likes that idea.

She also came to the conclusion that if my GF's baby is to be her brother, that makes my GF her mother. She came to me a few hours after we told her, and asked me if she could call her mom. I told her that it was fine with me, but she'd have to ask my GF. So we went together and she asked her. Of course the answer was yes, but I wanted it to come from her. So now it's mom and dad :).

It's starting to feel like we're a real a family. I can't quite explain how happy that makes me :)
That's cool - My eldest was almost 5, when the youngest was born. We got him a t-shirt that said "I'm the big brother" on the front to wear around the hospital. We had a hard time getting him to take it off to wash it.

adoptive dad

Banned
Jun 26, 2013
Winchester UK
IADad said:
That's cool - My eldest was almost 5, when the youngest was born. We got him a t-shirt that said "I'm the big brother" on the front to wear around the hospital. We had a hard time getting him to take it off to wash it.
Haha I vaugely remember us older three had similar ones when my little sister was born 11 years ago. I remember me and my older sister Laura were together with her and another parent thought she was our kid we showed them the t shirts and they looked a little embarased lol - I was only 19 at the time and Laura would have just gone 22. Worst thing was I had just started dating Fern at the time who this person saw me with a few weeks later in the street.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
That's awesome SD. I'm glad that good things have come your way!

One day you might even be able to change your name from singledad" wink, wink.