Kids and wild animals...

Jessy

Aug 22, 2012
I think yes we should teach our kids to respect nature as well as aware of the danger too.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Oh my. It looks like the adults are the problem here as well.

I agree that children need to learn to respect animals. I've seen a dangerous situation at the zoo recently.

julia_ottawa

PF Regular
Oct 9, 2012
Even a domestic cat can be dangerous. I still remember how my own sweet kitty attacked my best friend - we spend quite some time trying to stop blood and she still has a scar... He was so loveable and was purring on her lap and she just wanted to take hair from her face...

julia_ottawa

PF Regular
Oct 9, 2012
:speechroflmao: :
cybele said:
Cat's are assholes though. I have four of them, all assholes.
I just wonder : do we like men because they remind us of cat, or we like cats because they remind us of men :err:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I always tell my husband that he was a cat in his past life, not because of any bossy cat traits though, just because he likes it when I scratch his head and behind his ears...

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
We went to a Safari Park where you drive up close to the animals. Man i Dan't think I have had to ask our youngest two not to touch so many times. We went in a group with some friends and had three cars which all got attacked by Monkeys. Callum the poor thing was half scared to death i think cause he actually asked me if monkeys could bite... my answer: - if you annoy them maybe. The window went up so fast :) I have attched a photo of the day with Callum admiring a beast and a half (shortly before the monkey fiasco) I also noticed my car (a Volvo XC90) had plenty of damage the bull like thing in the pic for example put a dent in my rear lefthand side passenger door. I guess even a SUV as big and as strong as mine isn't invincible when it comes to wild animals

Last edited:

bigearl67

PF Regular
Dec 4, 2007
sticks, Indiana
&lt;r&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Seeing cute cartoons with talking animals and being desensitized to wild critters just simply sets the stage for accidents like these. Stupid parents just let it happen. &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I have always taught my boys to respect wild animal, repeatedly telling them to “clean your plate”! Earl.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Shaun Austin said:
bull like thing in the pic
WTF? That looks like a Nguni :confused: ie. Domesticated African bovine...

Have to say though, "domesticated" does not mean that I would walk up to a strange bull and try to pat its head...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="bigearl67;137748"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
bigearl67 said:
&lt;/s&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I have always taught my boys to respect wild animal, repeatedly telling them to “clean your plate”! Earl.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

Okay, I can't make heads or tails out of this.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
You have plates of wild animals? Wild animals eat dirty plates? I don't know...&lt;/r&gt;

bigearl67

PF Regular
Dec 4, 2007
sticks, Indiana
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE&gt;&lt;s&gt;
&lt;/s&gt;Okay, I can't make heads or tails out of this.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
You have plates of wild animals? Wild animals eat dirty plates? I don't know...&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Yes, plates of venison and sometimes hasenpfeffer. Respecting wild animals can mean not wasting what’s on your plate. Earl.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
singledad said:
Have to say though, "domesticated" does not mean that I would walk up to a strange bull and try to pat its head...
We were told it was safe then as I put my foot down to move on, it knocks its head into the door of the car... yeah real safe I think that is what scared Callum that day because he is usually loves being around animals and wildlife... and has a certain respect for them, I think it comes from Charlotte being a vet.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Another sad story yesterday in Pittsburg, PA. Mom sat her two year old on the top of the enclosure so he could see the wild African painted dogs. He fell 11 feet into the pit and was mauled by a pack them in front of his parents. He was pronounced dead shortly after. I can not see why someone would put their child on the top of the barrier, but my heart breaks for them as I could never imagine what they went through. Sickens me.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

She put her 2yr old on top of the enclosure? That is just ridiculous. Is there no common sense in this world any more?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Mom2all said:
Another sad story yesterday in Pittsburg, PA. Mom sat her two year old on the top of the enclosure so he could see the wild African painted dogs. He fell 11 feet into the pit and was mauled by a pack them in front of his parents. He was pronounced dead shortly after. I can not see why someone would put their child on the top of the barrier, but my heart breaks for them as I could never imagine what they went through. Sickens me.
I just read this story in the news.

They ended up shooting one of the dogs.

This is a highly endangered species, which is only just starting to recover its numbers. Every single dog represents a very valuable genetic variation in a species where genetic diversity is dangerously low.

And between then, this idiotic mother and the zoo staff caused the death of one of them. This is exactly what I was talking about - humans act irresponsibly and then the animal pays with his life.

Seriously - Painted Dogs will maul anything that moves. It's what they do. If it moves, its food, and a pack of them will leave very little behind. So what was this dog's crime, exactly? Being a wild animal? Is it the dog's fault that the child fell into IT'S enclosure?

/singledad stalks off to fume in privacy