kids say the darnedest things...

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
I had an idea. Kids say the darnedest things - often the funniest or cutest things. So I thought: why don't I start a thread for posting some of the darnest things our toddlers say. I'll start:

Just last night, my 2 yr 5 mt old daughter said:

"Daddy, I watch TV?"

"Well, why don't you watch what I'm watching?" (some kind of dating show hosted by Jerry Springer).

"No, this isn't good for little girls."

-----------

Recently, she's been learning the phrase "good idea". Everything's a good idea.

So we were swimming at the pool and when it came time to go home, she had a melt down. As I was taking her to the change room, she yelled:

"Not a good idea! Not a good idea!"

-----------

Back when she was younger (about a year and a half or so) and barely beginning to speak, she made a deal with us: we had this condition that if she peed or pooped in the poddy, she would get a treat (a smartie). And just to give her something to preoccupy her mind while she sat on the poddy, we let her watch TV. So sitting in her highchair at dinner, she proposed this deal (and keep in mind she's <I>just</I> learning to speak):

"I sit on poddy, watch TV, make poop, get treat?"

-----------

What are some of the cute things your toddler has said over the years?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, geez, you know you never remember them like you think you will....

the only one that springs to mind was when DS2 was about 3 and he went around the room offering everyone small pieces of cracker, saying "Body of crust..." upon each offer.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
IADad said:

the only one that springs to mind was when DS2 was about 3 and he went around the room offering everyone small pieces of cracker, saying "Body of crust..." upon each offer.
So, so true that you don't remember them. My daughter will say something in the morning on the way to school, for example, and I'll tell myself I have to remember that to tell my mom, but by the time I get home in the afternoon, I can't, for the life of me, remember what it was. :(

But that's one to remember, for sure! LOL

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
A few that I do remember.

My daughter and I were "working the gate" at a sports event for my school along with some of my colleagues. We went to the bathroom because I was having some issues which I will leave to your imagination. My daughter ran ahead on the way back, and by the time I got there, everyone was laughing. I asked why, but they just looked at each other and then at me and said, "Oh nothing." No privacy with a three-year-old around.

Once, when we were looking at a picture of her with a fake smile, she said, "I smile like that when I'm embarrassed." She was 3. I was blown away by her insight.

When she turned 3, she was given a "kitchen" complete with a cordless phone. The entire family was around and she is a total ham. Now, mind you, she was perfectly happy and had not even been disciplined in her recent memory, but she struck a dramatic pose, exaggeratedly pressed numbers on her phone, slammed it to her ear, and said, "Policeman, I have a BAD Mommy!" Needless to say I decided not to teach her how to dial 911.

When she was 10 months old, we were living in China. They way you say "Thank you" in Chinese is to clasp your hands together and shake them up and down in front of your chest, saying "Xie xie." We were on an overnight fieldtrip with my students and we were having a little award ceremony. She had just learned to walk, so she was wandering around the room and wandered to the front where my colleague was making speeches. He noticed her and said something about how we should give an award to her for this, that, or the other. She knew that she was the center of attention, and she started the Xie Xie move, clasping her little hands and shaking them up and down. The entire room started cheering and laughing. She began to clap. I wish I had it on film.

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
All too funny.

I just remembered another one: she was about a year and a half. She would do this dance in front of everybody, and when the music stopped, she took several bows and said "thank you, thank you, thank you". It was so unexpected!

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
They say the darnedest things, and they really give you an idea how you sound.

Yesterday we were watching American Idol, and one of the young men sang a song that we hear on the radio frequently. My 4yo said, "I'm familiar with that song." Do I really talk like that?

This weekend, she found a candy under the sofa and she asked, in character as an old woman with a gravelly voice, "Might this be a skittle?" I'm blaming Disney for that one. Surely that's the Queen/witch on Snow White. I'm sure I'm not that affected.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
MomoJA said:
They say the darnedest things, and they really give you an idea how you sound.

Yesterday we were watching American Idol, and one of the young men sang a song that we hear on the radio frequently. My 4yo said, "I'm familiar with that song." Do I really talk like that?

This weekend, she found a candy under the sofa and she asked, in character as an old woman with a gravelly voice, "Might this be a skittle?" I'm blaming Disney for that one. Surely that's the Queen/witch on Snow White. I'm sure I'm not that affected.
Hahaha, these have me in stitches!

mnparent78

Mar 4, 2011
Crow Wing County, Minnesota
My son asked at the store if we could get some "broken for you", I didn't know what he meant and asked him again and he said "I want some Jesus crackers, you know the body broken for you". After grinning to my niece who was with us it led to a serious discussion of the Real Presence in the Communion...

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
IADad said:

LOL

NikitaP

Mar 7, 2011
Having been around for many of the parties my husband an i regularly host, my kid has gotten into the habit of saying pegs and pints. Now its always can i have a peg of juice? or can i have a pint of cornflakes? its extremely adorable but a lil too early!!!

NikitaP

Mar 7, 2011
My kid has also recently got into the habit of saying "take this peanut out of my nose" like ALLL the time!!! it happened once, by mistake and he just enjoyed the fuss so much that he keeps running to me and saying the same thing over and over again! there is, of course, no peanut in his nose or even in the house for that matter after that incident. :)

Ariana

Mar 9, 2011
Sounds funny. If he is trying to get your attention, try to make him laugh. Have a peanut in your hand, and when he runs up to you and yells that, pretend to take it out. I did that with my 3 year nephew, (Except with a pea in his ear) and he started laughing for nearly 10 minutes. It was really funny.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I remembered another thing my daughter said. She was about 2 or 2.5. She was saying "Dammit, dammit, dammit!" I was shocked, and immediately, and I thought calmly, asked her where she had heard that word fully ready to talk to my sister about her son using such language in front of my child. She said, "You say that when you forget something."

I really thought I had cleaned my language up.

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
One show we watch on TV now and again is Deal or No Deal.

Well, this morning our daughter (2 yrs 5 mts) woke up really early as she has been doing lately (she hasn't been sleeping well because of a cold). She wanted to go downstairs and watch cartoons, but her mom told her it was too earlier and that if she wanted she could come into our bed, to which she said: No deal!

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Not really something she said, but something that should've been caught on camera:

Our daughter (2 1/2 yrs) and her cousin (almost 3) sitting in the tub together singing at the top of their lungs:

"Ooooh, baby, baby!!!"

You could hear it throughout the whole house - like a couple drunk sorority chicks.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Not sure if this really fits in this thread, but yesterday we were at the supermarket. I hadn't had lunch so I was probably less patient than normal. When my daughter asked me to buy her a salad with a hard-boiled egg in it I said no. I knew she would only eat the egg and leave the rest. She started crying which only made me dig my heels in. Probably in my hunger-induced impatience, I made things worse, but they finally got bad enough that I left without buying anything, including her fruit cups. Imagine how conspicuous I felt walking out as my 4yo loudly pleaded with me to buy her salad and fruit. I might have been excused if she'd been whining for candy, but what kind of mother denies her child salad and fruit?

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Grumpy pants is DD's new favorite word. Her latest trick is...
"Daddy, you happy?
"Yes Honey, are you happy?
She then furrows the brow, crosses her arms, and replies
"I'M GRUMPY-PANTS!" then she totally cracks up laughing!

Yesterday I was watching The Defenders and at the end Frank Sinatra Jr was singing "That Face". Cara was in the other room but must have overheard it because at bath time she starts singing "That face, that face, that grumpy-pants face...."

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
DS1 was getting impatient as he waited with his hands full for his little brother to open the door.

Seeing the opportunity to get at his big brother, DS2 intentionally took his time, and played a little game of let's just stand here and knock and giggle instead of opening the door.

So, annoyed, older brotherr announce, "I don't see anything funny about this."

To which the 4 you replied, 'Well, I guess you don't have much of a sense of humor then!"

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
My daughter drew four pictures the other day. She said they were notes so that we could meet each other in a special place. Last night she told me to close my eyes like I didn't know what she was doing, and she "hid" them around the house. As I was looking for them she said things like, "Hmm, I wonder if there is one in the bathroom."

So I found them all and she was very excited about it. She told me to show the pictures to my students. She said now we could meet in the special place.

As I was putting her to bed, I asked where where the special place was that we should meet. She said, "I don't know. I can't read."

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
My ex and son were talking about how their last name is in danger of dying out. My son is the last male to carry the name.

EX: "I should have some more kids so they can carry the last name."

Son: "DAD....who would have a baby with YOU?"

:D

EX: "Well, your mother for one thing."