kids say the darnedest things...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
MomoJA said:
My daughter was having an imaginary conversation with her cousin.

My daughter: Hello, Cameron. How are you doing?
(pause)
Oh, I'm just here with my mom.
(pause)
Oh yes, I would love to. What are you having?
(pause)
Cheese gritz? Yumm. Can I come over? Oh, you already asked me to come over. Silly me.

The funniest part is that we haven't had cheese gritz in about 6 months or more, and never with Cameron.
You're saying "Cheese grits" is/(are?) a real thing?

I love those imaginary one sided conversations, amazes me how their brains are working.

benavidesj

Aug 25, 2011
Michigan
Those are great! One thing also about kids is that they are fantastic little tape recorders. If they heard something often enough they tend to learn to say it...

For instance when I was a kid for the longest time I thought the neighbor lady was called "Mrs. WhosaMaDing" I didn't find out till later that her name was Mrs McCurly!

Keeping that in mind when my children were very young and talking. My wife used to refer to the neighbors on our left as "The Morons". I didn't approve of course but I could never tell her a thing. One day out in the front yard with the oldest and she stopped playing with me and started going inside. I asked "Hey where are you going?" She yelled " I HAVE TO GO IN... THE MORONS ARE OUT"... when I turned around both my neighbors were standing there looking quite cross...

That took quite a bit of smoothing over let me tell you.

benavidesj

Aug 25, 2011
Michigan
Sorry just had remembered another one!

My daughter and I used to watch Barney all the time together and there was this one particular episode where Barney was giving the kids "Eskimo kisses" so they were all rubbing their noses together. I gave Courtney Eskimo kisses too. then I grabbed her and kissed both of her cheeks one after the other... Mwah...Mwah.. then I said you know that's how they greet each other in France!

Later on i was at the school for open house. I was talking with the teacher and she told me a funny story. She said that she was talking to Courtney as she was looking at the globe and wondered where France was... She pointed it out to here and Courtney had many questions about it apparently.. when the teacher asked her why do you some French people? She said "No, my daddy taught me how to french kiss".... DOH!

Shocked her at first but then when she showed her french kiss she laughed about it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
benavidesj said:
Sorry just had remembered another one!

My daughter and I used to watch Barney all the time together and there was this one particular episode where Barney was giving the kids "Eskimo kisses" so they were all rubbing their noses together. I gave Courtney Eskimo kisses too. then I grabbed her and kissed both of her cheeks one after the other... Mwah...Mwah.. then I said you know that's how they greet each other in France!

Later on i was at the school for open house. I was talking with the teacher and she told me a funny story. She said that she was talking to Courtney as she was looking at the globe and wondered where France was... She pointed it out to here and Courtney had many questions about it apparently.. when the teacher asked her why do you some French people? She said "No, my daddy taught me how to french kiss".... DOH!

Shocked her at first but then when she showed her french kiss she laughed about it.
reminds me of the disturbing scene from National Lampoon's Vacation....

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Okay, this has been driving me nuts. Maybe someone who watches PBS cartoons can help.
My kids pretty much just watch PBS cartoons (no cable) unless I download a movie or whatever. Anyways, for as long as I can remember my kids call "Fetch with Ruff Ruffman".....'Mary Teebow'. At least thats what it sounds like. Phonetically I cant match that up to anything on the show at all and any attempts to pull it out of them just gets me matter-of-fact statements of 'Mary Teebow'

any ideas?

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
ElliottCarasDad said:
Okay, this has been driving me nuts. Maybe someone who watches PBS cartoons can help.
My kids pretty much just watch PBS cartoons (no cable) unless I download a movie or whatever. Anyways, for as long as I can remember my kids call "Fetch with Ruff Ruffman".....'Mary Teebow'. At least thats what it sounds like. Phonetically I cant match that up to anything on the show at all and any attempts to pull it out of them just gets me matter-of-fact statements of 'Mary Teebow'

any ideas?
I "watch" that with my child pretty often and I have no idea what that refers to. I ran it by my daughter, and she didn't know what I was talking about.

Maybe there was a fetcher called Mary Thibault when they first started watching it?

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
A couple of things my daughter has said in the way to and from school this week.

Me: pouring a soft drink into a cup as I'm driving.
DD: Nooooo, Mommy. You can't drink and drive! You'll be arrested!

DD: When will we be home?
Me: Never.
DD: Mama, if that is true, then we will be in Antarctica.
Me: laughing, You are right.
DD: Am I literally right?
Me: laughing more, No, not literally.
DD: What does literally mean?

Anne M

Oct 17, 2011
Philippines
My son wanted to go to the grocery after I had picked him up to school once. As an excuse, I told him we couldn't at that time because I had no money in my wallet.

He replied by saying: "Then let's just buy some money!"

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Ha! Ha! ^ Don't you love child logic?

Here's one:

We have been potty training our daughter and she has been coming up with some pretty creative descriptions of her poop, some of which are:

-a worm
-a sausage
-a rotten pear
-a hurt kangaroo
-a dolphin

cyell

Nov 13, 2011
Massachusetts
I'm a nanny primarily for children under the age of 10 so I've heard countless gems out of kids mouths. I've been caretaker of twins (girl and boy), and the little girl has a ha it of looking up at the ceiling seemingly deep in thought then she'll start laughing, and tell a silly story. My favorite is when I'll tell her a story of my own, and later she'll come up to me and say, wanna hear a story, and repeat the one i told to her, with the names changed.

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I love what children say that indeed can be very funny without realising it. One day my husband and I were playing scrabble, he said that he didn't like his tiles, quick as a flash miss 6 turned to him and said "Life's tough!" We couldn't keep a straight face.

culdesacmom

Nov 23, 2011
I agree - you can never remember them! I have started trying to write them down as soon as I hear them. My daughter was once looking for coathangers in our upstairs spare room and yelled down to my husband: "Dad! What did you do with all the hookers we had upstairs!?!?"

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
culdesacmom said:
I agree - you can never remember them! I have started trying to write them down as soon as I hear them. My daughter was once looking for coathangers in our upstairs spare room and yelled down to my husband: "Dad! What did you do with all the hookers we had upstairs!?!?"
That is hilarious! Classic!

Andrea Brown

Jan 5, 2012
Yesterday, my 2-year-old son told me, "Mom, I love you 26!" He thought that when I said "I love you too", I was referring to the number!