Leave a child in the car......

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I get so frustrated seeing children left in the car while parents run errands or whatever. The thing that gets me about this story is that they arrested the tow truck driver for child endangerment. Was he not just doing his job? In Texas, leaving your child in the car is a misdemenor crime if the child is under seven. This child was exactly seven so I guess that is why they did not prosecute the mother. But I still feel it should have been the mother's responsibility to make sure her son was safe.

<I>Jio parked her car in a fire lane while she ran upstairs to her apartment. She left her 7-year-old son, Sergio, asleep in the backseat of the car. When Jio came back downstairs, her car and her son were both gone. Her first thought was, "that someone had stolen my car," she said. "I didn't think I was going to see him again."</I>

<I>Neighbors alerted Jio that her car had actually been towed. She called the police and, after several minutes of panic, the tow truck driver returned with Sergio still sleeping in the car.</I>

cbs11tv.com - Dallas Child Sleeps In Car As It Is Towed Away

<I>* Leaving a child in a vehicle is punishable under the Texas Penal Code, Title 5, Chapter 22, Section 10 ¤ 22.10. LEAVING A CHILD IN A VEHICLE. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly leaves a child in a motor vehicle for longer than five minutes, knowing that the child is: (1) younger than seven years of age; and (2) not attended by an individual in the vehicle who is 14 years of age or older. (b) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor. Note: If the child is injured, the charge is then elevated to child endangerment, which is a felony. The penalties are six months to two years in jail and a fine up to $10,000.</I>

DFPS - Look Before You Leave and save the life of a child

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aw... I would never consider leaving any child (my siblings or my own kids or anything) in the car without me until they were at least like 12 maybe older haha. But that's because you never know what a kid is going to do while you're not looking, and you never know what kind of people are going to come by either. Or if the car is going to explode? I don't know!! It's not that hard to take them in with you. But that's just me.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I agree. It can definately be an inconvenience. But there are so many things that can happen. Everytime I see a child left in the car I think "Jeez, there's another Amber Alert waiting to happen." :(

Another big issue here in Texas is during the summer, we lose children that have been left in cars to the heat. It's absolutely horrible!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah I was thinking that too. That's just terrible, leaving little ones in the car with all the heat down there. And yeah that's funny because I was just out with my mom the other day and we parked at the tanning place and there was a van with two little girls that looked pretty young sitting in it and I was all mad. :p It's just the way I feel about that kind of thing. I was going to Wal-Mart yesterday too, and I stopped for gas. I tried to pay outside and it wouldn't read my card (figures) so I had to go like ten feet into the store, and you better believe my little boy got unbuckled and came in with me even though I only took less than a minute.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I agree it was the mother's responsibility. SHE left her child in the car. The tow truck driver probably didn't even notice, and was just doing his job. His only fault was to assume no one would leave their kid in the vehicle.

<SIZE size="150">NEVER</SIZE> leave a child in a vehicle unsupervised!

www.kidsandcars.org

Harrison's Hope Home Page

It's illegal in my state to leave kids under 12 in cars unsupervised for any length of time. Even if a state does not have a specific law prohibiting adults from leaving children unattended, state and local prosecuters have the discretion to criminally charge adults under existing child endangerment laws.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Xero said:
I was going to Wal-Mart yesterday too, and I stopped for gas. I tried to pay outside and it wouldn't read my card (figures) so I had to go like ten feet into the store, and you better believe my little boy got unbuckled and came in with me even though I only took less than a minute.

GOOD for you!

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Trina said:
It's illegal in my state to leave kids under 12 in cars unsupervised for any length of time.
I wish that was the case here. I feel that even 5 minutes is way too long.

I will admit that there have been a few occasions that Good Wolf has picked up the cell phone and reported.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
HappyMomma said:
I will admit that there have been a few occasions that Good Wolf have picked up our cell phone and reported.
Good GoodWolf! :)

Just looked this up... It's better than a lot of states. Many don't have any laws regarding this specific issue.

<I>Texas Unattended Children in Cars Law</I>
<I>Law Mandate</I>
<I>A child under the age of 7 may not be left unattended in a motor vehicle for longer than five minutes. A child is considered supervised if accompanied in the vehicle by someone age 14 or older.* </I>
<I>*Please note that even if a state does not have a specific law prohibiting adults from leaving children unattended, state and local prosecutors have the discretion to criminally charge adults under existing child endangerment laws.</I>
<I>Enforcement</I>
<I>All offenses are punishable by a fine not to exceed $500.</I>

You can look up state laws and regulations regarding child safety here along the right column.
Safe Kids USA: Preventing accidental injury.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<I>Connecticut Unattended Children in Cars Law</I>

<I>Law Mandate</I>
<I>Children under age 12 may not be left unsupervised in a motor vehicle.* </I>
<I>*Please note that even if a state does not have a specific law prohibiting adults from leaving children unattended, state and local prosecuters have the discretion to criminally charge adults under existing child endangerment laws.</I>

<I>Enforcement</I>
<I>All offenses are punishable by a maximum one year prison term and/or a fine of no more than $2,000, however, if a child is left unattended in a motor vehicle anytime between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. that presents a substantial risk to the child's health and safety, the penalty is considered a class C felony, which carries a prison term in excess of one year and/or a fine of no more than $10,000.</I>

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I've actually told a mother that was running into the liquor store that I was watching her kids so no one would kidnap them. She smiled at me and said 'thanks' without skipping a beat. So very sad.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
While I certainly don't agree with leaving a baby or small child in a car, I think that 7 years old is a reasonable age to stay in the car for a couple of minutes. That story is a bit different because it seems like she was inside for at least 10 - 15 minutes, enough time for someone to call and the tow truck to come and take the car. Also, I would never leave a sleeping child alone in a car.

I will leave my older boys (9, 12, 16) in the car, even if it is for more than a few minutes. I lock the doors if it is my 9 year old. I also leave the younger kids in the car, if they are with one of the older kids. But, I don't leave my 2 youngest, even for a minute.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I'm pretty a sure a seven year old can be kidnapped, or hit the gear shift and put the car into neutral, or decide that they want to go with mommy, leave the car and get lost.

There are too many things that can go wrong in a matter of seconds, and my time isn't more important than their safety. That is the bottom line.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Good Wolf said:
I'm pretty a sure a seven year old can be kidnapped, or hit the gear shift and put the car into neutral, or decide that they want to go with mommy, leave the car and get lost.

There are too many things that can go wrong in a matter of seconds, and my time isn't more important than their safety. That is the bottom line.
That's EXACTLY how I feel!!!! &lt;3333 I'm glad somebody's brave enough to take the time to call and report people. And the story about the woman in the liqour store, I love that. You rock. :D

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
A seven year old can also choke on something, play with something they shouldn't, get into the Tylenol in the glove box, or any infinite amounts of things. Yes your seven year olds are smart, all proud parents out there, but they are obviously still just seven year olds. One of the biggest reasons little kids have so many accidents in which they get injured or even killed are because their parents or babysitters aren't thinking it could happen. They think the kids are smart enough to be alright to take your eyes off of them for a minute. How many kids drown in a swimming pool during the summer because of these thoughts?

By the way I do think it was the mother's fault and not so much the driver's. If he knew some irresponsible parent left their little seven year old kid alone in the car he had to get, do you think he would still tow it away? lol probably not. He shouldn't have been there in the first place. Those are the kinds of chances you take when you think it's okay to leave your children unsupervised.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Good Wolf said:
I've actually told a mother that was running into the liquor store that I was watching her kids so no one would kidnap them. She smiled at me and said 'thanks' without skipping a beat. So very sad.

:yikes: Yes, very sad.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Good Wolf said:

I agree! Just read the stories of things that have happened at the links I posted above.

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
I can't imagine how that would feel to walk outside and think that you'd never see your child again and that it was your fault alone.

It's just too risky to leave your children in the car. I'd rather go through the hassle of getting them out for the sake of having them safe.

Some people are raised to think it's ok though and that's the problem. I know I was left in the car many times when I was young but times are changing I suppose.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
alikat618 said:
Some people are raised to think it's ok though and that's the problem. I know I was left in the car many times when I was young but times are changing I suppose.
Yep, when I was a baby my mom just laid me in the passenger seat when she drove anywhere - I'm not sure they even had carseats in the early 70s.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
HappyMomma said:
Yep, when I was a baby my mom just laid me in the passenger seat when she drove anywhere - I'm not sure they even had carseats in the early 70s.
Now that's a weird thought. I never thought about that. I was born in the 80's, they had carseats then... I wonder if they had them in the 70s. It seems like they should have. They had cars, and they had babies, so why not baby carseats? It was probably sooo much different back then anyway. Creepy! :eek:

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
My mom tells a story about one day we were driving to a high school football game when a drunk driver rear ended her. (I was laying in the passenger seat and luckily not hurt at all.) The police basically asked "Are you alright ma'am?" and told the drunk driver that he needed to drive straight home.... things were quite different then.

Xero said:
Now that's a weird thought. I never thought about that. I was born in the 80's, they had carseats then... I wonder if they had them in the 70s. :eek:
Trina?? :)