MIL adopted 1st grandchild..& she's not my kid...

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
Before I became pregnant with the first biological grandchild my inlaw's all became very attached to a little girl. They practically raised her from the age of 4 months until her family moved away when she was a little over a year old. Her parents are the same age as me and my husband (their son) and worked at the same place as my father in law. They had problems with their marriage and would leave the child at my in law's during the day so they could sort things out and then at night sleep in my husband's room (we were away at college). That's fine of course but things got to the point where my mother in law made a nursery, bought a crib, clothes, toys, everything you can think of. Instead of encouraging the couple to spend more time with the child they kept her 4 days out of the week. My mother in law started to refer to her as her granddaughter and was abolutely smitten with her.

That's when it started to weird me and my husband out. We would come home from college to visit and the couple would be there sleeping in my husband's room and the baby would be sleeping in my in-law's room in the little nursery. My brothers and sister in law were referred to as Aunt and Uncle with the baby. When I became pregnant and married their son we had to put a stop to it. We felt like we were getting jipped out of a very special event in life...giving them their first grandchild. We talked to them about it and my mother in law got very defensive and said that it shouldn't be an issue but that she wouldn't call herself "Nanny" to her anymore since that's what our child and all her other real grandchildren would call her. I believed her but we would catch her sneaking out to go visit with her when we lived with them. We couldn't understand why she had to sneak around about it. It's not that we wanted her to cut ties, we just wanted there to be bounderies when it came to who was the first grandchild. I didn't want my child treated any differently. After my daughter was born things were ok, we just all ignored the issue.

Once the little girl and her family moved back things picked up again. We didn't say much and I didn't even pitch a fit about my mother in law leaving up all the little framed pictures that say things like "Grandma loves me" and "I love my nana!" with her picture in it. Well they stopped by for a visit recently and the little girl is around 2 now. I thought things were fine and resolved and we all had found a happy medium but the little girl was standing next to me and pointed to my mother in law and said "nanny nanny nanny!". I asked her mother who I was politely chit-chatting with what the little girl had just said so that I could be sure I heard right and she got really uncomfortable and told me but said that she wasn't sure why she was still calling her that. That made me realize that my mother in law must have said something to her about how it was making me feel and she was also still referring to herself as Nanny with the child because she wouldn't have remembered from when she was 7 months old (which was when she said she'd stop calling herself Nanny around her). I felt betrayed and hurt. I havn't decided if I should say anything yet because we just now got on better terms and seem to be building our relationship.

Do I even have reason to be upset? Is this all just jealousy and were we wrong to even step in on any of this?

Should I just let it go? If so, why am I even feeling so hurt and jealous? She's not the kind of woman that can calmly and logically discuss emotions and issues. She's very defensive. I'm just hurt and overwhelmed. Thank you for any help you can give :(
~Allison

*******EDIT******** PLEASE READ*******

I wrote this post with fresh anger and pain and left a lot of important things out. I came off sounding like someone I know i'm not.

My MIL is no saint. She said some awful things about the baby's mother that I KNOW AREN'T TRUE. I didn't know it at the time but I do know now. She simply wanted to adopt this child because she really believed in her own mind that she was the rightful mother to this child. She thought she was a better mother and accused the girl infront of me and infront of her YOUNG children that she thought the baby's mother was drugging the baby to make her sleep. This was not true, she made it up in her mind to justify her deep need to be a mother to this baby. She said the same thing about me and I sure as heck didn't do anything to harm my child. Ever. She would say terrible things about the parents and then a few days later act like she didn't know what we were talking about when we'd bring it up and she was acting all nice to them. It was very confusing and hard for us. I blindly believed that these people were bad parents which was why I freaked and got hurt that they were putting them above my husband financially. (they spent $1000's of dollars on them and had no money left for his tuition). I've become close to the mother of the baby and was very honest with her about my jealousy but she completely understands now that she knows how they had them above us. She agrees that my MIL took things too far with her daughter. I did not tell her any of the awful things that she said about her because i'm not a vengeful jealous beast like some seem to think. She told me all this on her own.

She would say things about how I didn't bathe my child enough or feed her enough. Bull. My father in law told me he knew there was something wrong with her and that she's got superiority issues. Her two youngest kids havn't been in school since the 5th and 7th grades. They are supposed to be in 8th and 12th now. That's her doing. She just does not acknowledge that she does wrong in any situation. It's always somebody else. And if a situation isn't to her liking...then she'll make up a better one in her head like her being a better mother to the baby and me and this other mother being terrible people.

I was in the wrong for getting as upset as I was. The baby is a beautiful 2 year old now and I want her to have a loving grandmother...but I just didn't think my MIL had great intentions. I'm stepping away from the situation and know better than to get so hurt by her now. She's just different than me and I guess I expected her to be as understanding and as sane as my mother.

I love children and I did come across as bitter towards the child, I am not. I want the best for her, I really do. She has another grandmother who loves her dearly so it's not like I was trying to take away her only one. I may have come across differently so just trying to clear it up.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Have you had your child yet? Maybe mentally you are woried that your MIL won't love your child the way that she obviuosly loves this other child?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
A lady that I worked for was kind of trying to adopt Oliver as a grandson so I can kind of relate to what's happening here. I since realized that it was in many ways not a healthy relationship for me and my son so I stopped working for her. She referred to him as her "grandson", bought him lots of toys and clothes, and even enrolled him in a book club. I appreciated everything she did but I couldn't help but feel that she was trying to control us with her money. She later on referred to herself as the "mother I never had." That was where I finally drew the line. I have a very good mother who was unfortunately unavailable for me. I think that maybe mothers with empty nests sometimes get lonely and quite eager for grandchildren. Honestly, I think once your child arrives, things will change drastically. This may sound a bit weird, but she's probably just using this child until she gets a real one. Maybe. Maybe not. I hope it helps to sort of hear the other side of things. :)

Since quitting this job, I haven't heard from her.

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
Nope, my baby is here and she's 9 months old. She treats her wonderfully but she knows how the other child makes me and my husband feel. She's not as excited as she would have been if she hadn't already experienced the first grandchild with someone who isn't even hers!!

This has been an ongoing thing for 2 years now. This is the first time in a year that we've had a problem with it again. I wasn't aware the child was calling her Nanny. There's only one way she learned it because she sure wasn't talking when my MIL agreed to stop referring to herself as that.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I think you are reading too much into it.

The simple truth is what has happened has happened. As odd as the relationship may be you have already expressed your concerns and that hasn't changed things.

At this point you have a couple of options. You can accept it for what it is or you can keep confronting her about it and end up alienating you and your child even more.

I know it sucks, and you feel like your kid is getting the short end of the stick but I don't see where you really have any options aside from inviting her over more in the effort to grow their bond.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
What a tough situation.

I have to touch on something that struck me as I read this. It seems to be a bit unfair to allow their child to get attached to your MIL then decide to ask the child to back away. If they did not intend on that to be a 'grandmotherly' bond on a permenant basis, the bond should not have been encouraged.

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
HappyMomma said:
What a tough situation.

I have to touch on something that struck me as I read this. It seems to be a bit unfair to allow their child to get attached to your MIL then decide to ask the child to back away. If they did not intend on that to be a 'grandmotherly' bond on a permenant basis, the bond should not have been encouraged.
exactly. but the thing is i think it was intended for forever and they didn't think it was going to bother anyone but now that it does they are trying to play both sides. I'm not sure what's going through their minds.

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
Lissa said:
Has anyone talked to your MIL about this?
not recently. we talked to her about it when they first moved back and she came to us asking if she could take the little girl to mcdonalds and spend time with her (my daughter was already born and we were living with them). we said we didn't care if she had a relationship with her but why did it have to be so deep like a grandmother and granddaughter. she got mad and told us she didn't have to ask us anyway. She didn't speak to me for awhile and would make comments behind my back that I was jealous. that's why i'm afraid of asking her about the little girl still calling her nanny

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Yeah, I can't relate to letting someone into my family like that. We are pretty tight nit, and are all hermits.

All I can really say is that your MIL obviously finds enjoyment from her relationship with them and it will only create tension between you if you press the issue too much.

You might want to have a conversation with the parents in order to get a feel of their true intentions. If you think they are using her then you might want to have your husband talk to his mom in private. If you believe that they trully care about your MIL and have developed a bond with her then you really shouldn't try and intervene.

I know it isn't the same thing but what if you or your husband had siblings that had children first? Do you think you might still be jealous of the first born's relationship with the MIL?

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
Good Wolf said:
Yeah, I can't relate to letting someone into my family like that. We are pretty tight nit, and are all hermits.

All I can really say is that your MIL obviously finds enjoyment from her relationship with them and it will only create tension between you if you press the issue too much.

You might want to have a conversation with the parents in order to get a feel of their true intentions. If you think they are using her then you might want to have your husband talk to his mom in private. If you believe that they trully care about your MIL and have developed a bond with her then you really shouldn't try and intervene.

I know it isn't the same thing but what if you or your husband had siblings that had children first? Do you think you might still be jealous of the first born's relationship with the MIL?
At first I didn't think their intentions were good and were using her but now I think differently. They are nice people and have a rough relationship with their own family.

I asked myself the same question and I don't see that I would be jealous because that's actually a family member. That child would be my niece or nephew and we'd be a part of that child's life. We were never a part of this girl's life. It just happened quickly without us there. It's not really the I wanted to have the first grandchild issue, it's more that she looks at a kid that isn't related and wasn't even a part of me and my husband. We were away at college while this went on and suddenly there's a new neice and a new brother a sister in the family. we had no say

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
alikat618 said:
At first I didn't think their intentions were good and were using her but now I think differently. They are nice people and have a rough relationship with their own family.

I asked myself the same question and I don't see that I would be jealous because that's actually a family member. That child would be my niece or nephew and we'd be a part of that child's life. We were never a part of this girl's life. It just happened quickly without us there. It's not really the I wanted to have the first grandchild issue, it's more that she looks at a kid that isn't related and wasn't even a part of me and my husband. We were away at college while this went on and suddenly there's a new neice and a new brother a sister in the family. we had no say
I have to admit that it is hard for me to relate. I was raised in a very blended family, with step parents, step siblings, adoptives... etc. We dont call it a family tree but a 'family forest.' I guess I was just used to people joining our family.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I understand that can quite a shock to the system.

I however don't see your MIL getting persmission to befriend this couple and take them under he wing. She is a grown woman that obviously has a big heart.

If you can't beat them join them. If you think this couple is around for the long haul then I suggest getting to know them better. You just might see what your MIL sees in them and find yourself with two more great people in your life. Instead of thinking that their daugther is stealing your daugther's thunder try to think of her as a possible big sister.

I honestly don't know how I would react in the same situation but I would no doubt that it would be much different from you. I'm just trying to think of ways to make it easier on everyone.

What are you husbands thoughts on this whole thing?

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
Good Wolf said:
I understand that can quite a shock to the system.

I however don't see your MIL getting persmission to befriend this couple and take them under he wing. She is a grown woman that obviously has a big heart.

If you can't beat them join them. If you think this couple is around for the long haul then I suggest getting to know them better. You just might see what your MIL sees in them and find yourself with two more great people in your life. Instead of thinking that their daugther is stealing your daugther's thunder try to think of her as a possible big sister.

I honestly don't know how I would react in the same situation but I would no doubt that it would be much different from you. I'm just trying to think of ways to make it easier on everyone.

What are you husbands thoughts on this whole thing?
I have been working on getting to know the couple. We get along fine and are actually planning on getting together some time. I know in my heart I can learn to see them as family but it's just the fact of the way that MIL is handling it. Like my feelings aren't that important and that i'm just a jealous woman.

My husband is a very passive man. He doesn't like drama and tries to let things die down before addressing anything. If it weren't for me being thrown into the family then I don't think anything would have ever been solved. They all just let things fester. I like to clear things up. They see this as me causing drama. It got to the point that MIL said that she truly hated me and that I was the cause of the almost divorce of her and her husband. We just now got on better terms. I think you are right though, i need to just let this one go. There's nothing I can do.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Just put your best foot forward, and see if you can make the best out of an uncomfortable situation.

Let us know how things progress. It is an interesting dynamic that I would like to keep updated on.

Also visit our general chat section so we can get to know you better. We need some fresh blood around here. Happymomma and I can't be the only newbies.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I agree with GoodWolf. Your MIL doesn't need permission from anyone to become close friends with other families or to be a pseudo Nanny to other children. It seems you're the only one bothered by it. Honestly, as long as your MIL still has a healthy relationship with your DD, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Trina said:
I agree with GoodWolf. Your MIL doesn't need permission from anyone to become close friends with other families or to be a pseudo Nanny to other children. It seems you're the only one bothered by it. Honestly, as long as your MIL still has a healthy relationship with your DD, it shouldn't be an issue at all.
I agree...I think in your place I would just have to make the best of a weird situation :)

welcome by the way

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
Trina said:
I know she doesn't need permission but she came to me and asked for it basically. I took that as she wanted to know how I felt. I told her it wasn't my place to tell her that she can or can't have a relationship with someone but that it hurt mine and my husband's feelings for her to consider someone else's child that has nothing to do with us..that we just met..her first grandchild. We were open with our feelings with hopes that she would assure us that it wasn't like that. She didn't, she got angry and talked about me behind my back. I was very adult about it and never told her what to do...just how I felt.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
This may be out of left field but is it possible she is trying to get your attention? You know, kind of like children sometimes do with negative attention?