Mr. Sassy Pants...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Yeah, while I understand wanting to show a kid you love them after correcting behaviour (Don't live the behaviour/love the child) I think you have to be a little careful, I've heard psychologists warn about things like spanking and then expressing love, that kids can grow up equating the two together and expect them to accompany each other into adulthood.

I wasn't for a moment sujesting to you reverse any agreements you've made, I'd just be sure I stuck to them and nothing more.

Wow, that's scary about your prediction. Is there anything you can/should do in anticipation? Can you get your primary custody afirmed by a court so it makes it more difficult for him (dad) to attempt to, well, flee, for lack of a better word...?

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Well, without going into how wrong it is, the Virgin Islands is one of those places where the courts almost always side with the mom. The women do the rearing here. It is not uncommon for men to have many many children with just as many women. Dads rarely ask for sole custody, and even if they did, they probably wouldn't get it. And I do know, in most states, the person who wants to leave is the one who is going to have the hardest time getting custody if there is a fight about it. Luca has lived here all of his life and the courts would have a hard time taking a kid away from what he has always known. I don't think it will get to this point, I've been pretty clear that I do not intend on leaving the VI, nor will I give up custody.

It will be easier for his dad to leave now. He has gotten rid of the one thing tying him here, his business. But that one thing is now another thing tying me here since I bought it from him. We have a very complicated relationship!!!