My son hates me....

nickhart

Feb 3, 2011
the main issue is an identity thing. Yeah, he knows a lot now after being in school but he doesn't know how his life will pan out. So the simple contradiction of "i know/don't know" makes him edgy.

I could also be his diet making him angsty.

When people are certain and healthy they tend to be shine.

Try to get where he's coming from and instead of guiding him, be there with him. Just listen to him.

nickhart

Feb 3, 2011
and btw, he doesn't hate you. Love him unconditionally and be an example. Thats the best any parent could do.

ciws14

Mar 18, 2011
Volunteering might be what the doctor ordered. He may be feeling lost and not with purpose. It is amazing what this can do.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
nickhart said:
the main issue is an identity thing. Yeah, he knows a lot now after being in school but he doesn't know how his life will pan out. So the simple contradiction of "i know/don't know" makes him edgy.

I could also be his diet making him angsty.

When people are certain and healthy they tend to be shine.

Try to get where he's coming from and instead of guiding him, be there with him. Just listen to him.
Thank you Nickhart- sorry I'm late responding here, for some reason I thought this thread was closed. Good advice.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
ciws14 said:
Volunteering might be what the doctor ordered. He may be feeling lost and not with purpose. It is amazing what this can do.
Thanks ciws; I will look into this too.

Today I'm happy to say that he's back to his old self. I'm thinking it was mostly hormones, and adolescent confusion. He has a nice girlfriend I'm really proud and happy for him. He's a good kid.

Thanks again.

emergencydentis

PF Regular
Jan 8, 2011
USA
That's great Nancy. Everybody gets a little weird once in a while, it's not just with toddlers and teens but even us, the older ones :) People change and the best thing to do is to understand why they do and if it's making them better; if not, we do as our roles describe us in one's life. ;)

vacagal

May 27, 2011
California
Hi Nancy,

I'm new to this board, but your story sounds somewhat similar to my now 23 year old son. He was never officially diagnosed with Asbergers but we all pretty much think he has it, including himself. He suffered with depression in high school because he felt he never fit in. He also never studied for tests but always managed to do well. He scored extremely well on his college entrance exams, but totally failed his first semester of college. He went to a 4 year college right out of high school that was close to home. After he failed that first semester, we got him enrolled in the local community college so we weren't spending all that big money for a load of F's. I think he was still quite depressed and felt "why bother". Anyway, he also did poorly that 2nd semester at community college. Finally, he decided to take a couple summer courses and I'm not sure what happened in his head but he finally started to get the hang of college. He got A's in both classes and I'm happy to say that after that semester he has gotten all A's and B's. He's now a senior in college majoring in Computer Science.

I still worry about the job market for him, because he does lack social skills. He pretty lost touch with the few friends he had from high school after he left high school, and hasn't really made any new friends that I know of. He spends a lot of time online and I think he considers those people his friends. That's all well and fine, but he has no one to go to a movie with, or just hang out with. He just doesn't seem comfortable in those situations.

I still worry about him quite a bit. I guess that never goes away, but hopefully your son will adjust to college soon as well. It's tough being young when you have regular social skills and such, but when those things are hard for you it can be even harder.

Good luck and keep us posted.

LovingMother07

May 28, 2011
Try and do a little research on different majors the college offers, try to make an appointment with someone from the college or maybe thinking about what kind of strong points your son has. Since you said he is good in mathematics, it is a very broad subject and not only for accounting. Go to the colleges website and look for mathematic majors.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Thank you Vocagal and LovingMother good advice from both of you.

My son is changing colleges and taking the police test in June so lets see what happens.

Thanks again.

gsrifkin

Jun 11, 2011
Coos Bay, Oregon
Sounds like he could use some support from someone familiar with the problems "Talented and Gifted" kids face. Research "support for talented and gifted Kids" on Google.
Hope that helps.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I was going to ask her the same thing lol. Its so old and it keeps getting bumped over and over. :p

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Sorry I took so long to see this, I think it would be a good idea to close it, I got such good advice and I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks for asking.