Name on a back pack?...

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
In an effort to get out boy exicted about school we're getting him a new backpack. He has a small old one, but we figured something new that he helps pick out will be fun.

We saw a places offer embroidering the child's entire name on the pack. This sounded great until we realized the possible ramifications.

What do you think? Full name in such a visible and obvious area a bad idea?

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
My nephew just got his first and last initial on his backpack.

Personally I dont see the point in having your name on the outside at all. If you really want your name on it put it on the tag inside or something.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I would just get the first name. Seems about as much fun and gives out less personal information. Just my opinion. :D

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
The LL Bean bag is classic - that's the one we're looking at. They offer the option of initials or just the first name. I do think the initials are more than enough, the first name is a bit much - so easy for a would predator to throw out something familiar.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
You could do either or, but I used an LL Bean bag from Kindergarten through college and never once did anyone say my name.

I think it depends on where you live, but since he's young, I am assuming that he's going to be picked up from school.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
whats next? his name in his underpants?

I never had my name in my backpack. the point was that we got a new back pack, that what our fav colour, or looked really cool or whatever. Thats what made it exciting.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Eh. I don't know, I think the first name is fine. I'm just not that paranoid.

And I'd like to add that if I could find a pair of cute underwear with my name on it, I would totally buy them and wear them.

I'd even buy Eli a pair of boxers or whatever when he's older if they had his name on them lol that's cute.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
It's just for school... I don't think they let those in there (on purpose).

Fluffy

PF Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2008
USA
It's just for school... I don't think they let those in there (on purpose).[/quote]
But if he uses it as he gets older? Say he walks to school - some creepy person could be living on the way between home and school, right?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cute, too...but I still think that could get messy.

Personally, I wouldn't put any name on the outside - I always thought just picking out the style and color was fun. That's just me, though. ;)

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
This has caused a problem in my household in the past. My three kids all want their names on their backpacks. For Bailey and Hunter I think it's a little childish. Alexis wanted her name so badly but I didn't allow that to happen because of some recent happenings in my area. Bailey and Hunter both have their names on their bags. Bailey got hers first and then her brother wanted one on his gym/school bag so he got it. But I'm not allowing Lexi to get one until she starts taking the bus again to school in a year.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I wouldn't worry about it if I thought it would only been seen in school but if the child walks home or even from the bus stop or whatever anyone can see their name and it makes them an easier target

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah, in school only there's nothing wrong with that. Walking around in the outside world or being left alone, I wouldn't have him wearing it. But I wouldn't let my kids walk anywhere or be anywhere without me or unsupervised until they were quite a bit older so that's really not an issue for me to consider. And by the time they're old enough to walk around unattended, they probably wont want their names on their things cause it's dorky.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
If it were an issue, I highly doubt Ll Beans would be as popular as they are. They've been around for years and I don't think I know anyone that didn't have one at some point.

And, if by some chance, it breaks 10 years later, they'll send you a new one - for free.