Naming...

Did you tell the world your kid's names before birth?...

• Yes...

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • No...

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Some we did, some not....

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Okay, so I've noticed some of you expecting moms putting your baby to be's names out there....

We never gave away the gender or names of our kids until they were born. So, just wondering which practice is more common...Just for fun.

Also, tell us how many more names for kids possibly down the road you have picked out or listed.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Since I was little, I always wanted to have a boy and I always wanted to name him Eli Mathew. I was lucky enough to fall in love with a boy who's middle name is also Mathew, so it was even more sentimental for me. When I got pregnant we didn't even consider girl names, we went through a few boy names but we were always pretty sure about Eli Mathew. As soon as we found out for sure he was a boy, we told everyone who he was. :) Although, towards the end BF kept complaining that Eli was too short and that he would like it better if his full name was Elijah Mathew, so I agreed and we went with that.

If you're wondering why I loved the name, it's because I've always loved to write, I wrote my first short story when I was in first grade and just never stopped. I always liked the name Eli Mathew and I used it here and there, but when I was a young teenager (I think 14-15) I started a story that I worked on day and night for hours at a time and it ended up being over 200 printed pages long (10 font, single spaced etc). The main character's name in the story was Eli Mathew, and I fell in love with him (or, the idea of him haha). I drew pictures of him, and pretty much made him real in my imagination. :) I got really involved with the idea of who he was and how I felt about him, it was a strange writer-character relationship lol!! :D So I knew my son's name would be Eli Mathew, cause I knew I wouldn't like any name better than that and it held some real meaning for me (especially since his dad's middle name is also Mathew). I know, corny story, but I like to think about it because its fun and different from just picking a random name that sounds nice (which I will be doing for my next child, hopefully a girl LOL).

EDIT: I also liked the idea of people being able to buy appropriate gifts for him, since they knew he was a boy. No mysteries, meaning better and more appropriate gifts. :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I always tell...lol I start refering to them by name as soon as we know the gender basically

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
IADad, we did exactly the same as you. Maybe it's our age?! LOL! DH and I didn't even want to know the genders. We wanted it to be a surprise at birth. We had names picked out but didn't share them.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
All of our children are named after someone. We told the people we were naming them after but not anyone else, and asked the people we told not to tell anyone.

Megan Seir - Megan Amber's mom's name, Seir is my first name

Dylan Lane - Dylan is my brother's middle name

Dane Christopher - his first and middle name are bothe childhood friends of mine and Amber's

Katherine Leigh - Katherine is my mothers name, Leigh is my sister's middle name

Andrew William - William is my father's first name.

Kaitlyn Grace - Grace is Amber's sister's name.

We adopted Jonathan a few months ago so we didnt name him and we have no idea where his names came from

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
we told everyone. but i kept calling emmy "junior" b/c i kept having dreams that the baby was a boy and had had them b4 she was even conceived. so i just knew she was a boy no matter what the sonogram showed. lol

emmy's name--amber b/c dh always wanted a girl and wanted to name her amber, her middle name is his: lynn. the emmy part is just b/c he wasn't gonna be the only one to pick the baby name--->we both liked emily.
cocobutt's name is similar---we both liked chloe. anna b/c we decided wanted them to have similar middle initials and a long name for both and we both liked the name which worked out fine for the---> one having 5 names just aint fair part. lynn b/c it's his middle name.

so their initials are actually E.A.L.R.G. and C.A.L.R.G.
they have both of our's last names.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Trina said:
IADad, we did exactly the same as you. Maybe it's our age?! LOL! DH and I didn't even want to know the genders. We wanted it to be a surprise at birth. We had names picked out but didn't share them.
Maybe it is our age - LOL! We wanted to know, had amnio, so there wasn't much mystery there (although it is cute that when they send you the amnio results they come in an evelope that says "If you don't want to know don't open this envelope"....hahahah)

It didn't really matter much to me one way or the other, but DW was adamant about keeping our secret....(I always attributed that to control issues...)

oh, and Xero, we ended up getting a lot of green and yellow things since people didn't know....(which works out okay as we're a "Packer" family

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
IADad said:
We wanted to know, had amnio, so there wasn't much mystery there
Wow, I thought that was dangerous? The people I went to would never reccomend it, I can almost guarantee they wouldn't even let me unless I had a real reason to have it done (like I thought there could be a problem based on genetics). I've never heard of a practice doing that just to find out if its a boy or girl... that's crazy. :eek:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I have to know, so I can pull out the appropriate boxes. Sadly if this one is a boy I am screwed, I gave all of my boy stuff away to my DD's friend who was having a boy. I might be ok if it's a girl but it would be a different season.

I just hate not knowing, I have a hard enough time coming up with names when I know, the poor thing would be named till way after birth if I didn't know!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
mom2many said:
I have to know, so I can pull out the appropriate boxes. Sadly if this one is a boy I am screwed, I gave all of my boy stuff away to my DD's friend who was having a boy. I might be ok if it's a girl but it would be a different season.

I just hate not knowing, I have a hard enough time coming up with names when I know, the poor thing would be named till way after birth if I didn't know!
yeah, "Tillway Afterbirth" is a terrible name, it's best you plan ahead....LOL!!!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Wow, I thought that was dangerous? The people I went to would never reccomend it, I can almost guarantee they wouldn't even let me unless I had a real reason to have it done (like I thought there could be a problem based on genetics). I've never heard of a practice doing that just to find out if its a boy or girl... that's crazy. :eek:

no, we didn't do it to find out gender....that's just one of the side effects...

when mom's pushing 40 and worried about these things (genetic issues) you do them...and the hospital we did it at really put the risk into perspective...it's way overblown. But, yes, you would not ever do it just for gender identification....

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
mom2many said:

See if your city holds mom to mom sales! they are great!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
IADad said:
no, we didn't do it to find out gender....that's just one of the side effects...

when mom's pushing 40 and worried about these things (genetic issues) you do them...and the hospital we did it at really put the risk into perspective...it's way overblown. But, yes, you would not ever do it just for gender identification....
yep, here I think they recommend it for all moms 35 and older :)

Lorelei

Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
One problem with sharing the name you've chosen beforehand, is some people feel compelled to tell you your choice is "stupid". I heard some flack about the names I had chosen for my first born, so I didn't share ahead of time with my others. I just got flack later, though. When relatives came to see me in the hospital, and I'd told them the name of my middle daughter was "Annika", one relative actually said, "That's a dumb name, but maybe we can call her "nicky"! What was really insulting is that she had a dog named nicky at the time. I think Annika is a lovely name, but more importantly, so does my daughter.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
meow_173 said:
See if your city holds mom to mom sales! they are great!

I forgot about this thread :confused: .

I love second hand stores, my favorite is Savers, that's were a lot of my kids clothes come from, especially the summer clothes. Living in "the middle of nowhere" they ruin everything.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lorelei said:
One problem with sharing the name you've chosen beforehand, is some people feel compelled to tell you your choice is "stupid". I heard some flack about the names I had chosen for my first born, so I didn't share ahead of time with my others. I just got flack later, though. When relatives came to see me in the hospital, and I'd told them the name of my middle daughter was "Annika", one relative actually said, "That's a dumb name, but maybe we can call her "nicky"! What was really insulting is that she had a dog named nicky at the time. I think Annika is a lovely name, but more importantly, so does my daughter.
wow!!! how freakin' rude can people be :confused: