New Years Resolutions!...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Well water doesn't exist here, even if you lived 50 miles from the next house you would still have piped water, we also don't have septic tanks, everyone has plumbed sewerage systems, which I know isn't the case in some parts of the developed world.

goiter is a condition caused by a lack of iodine, naturally you get iodine from salt air, which is why in areas a great distance from the sea table salt has added iodine.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh, okay! I understand now. :) No well water? That's so strange for me to imagine. I think a good handful of people have septic tanks around here, but most people I know use the sewage system... if by that we mean some crazy underground piping system that leads to a sewage plant somewhere else that takes care of it all. lol My sisters and I used to jokingly call the sewage plant the "poop factory" when we passed by it in the car. It stinks too, you can smell it if you're anywhere near the surrounding area. :/

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Our sewerage treatment plans tend not to smell, I have no idea how they manage it, I mean, how do you make that not stink? Ours are often pretty close to residential areas so they aren't allowed to let off any smells.

The fact that we don't have wells also means if something goes wrong, e.g. a pipe outside of our house but on our property bursts/is damaged we aren't charged for that, which is pretty handy especially after very cold weather when burst pipes are pretty common. It is the same for our sewerage system as well, unless you're doing something stupid like flushing condoms.

We get hard water in Lincolnshire (should change my location!) which is really good, so it is full of calcium and minerals, people who live in hard water areas are a lot healthier and less likely to suffer heart disease.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
our water is very cheap here on Long Island,and it taste great. I drink it straight from my faucet, I buy bottled water just to take in my car and to the gym.

I don't believe we ever had a bill bigger than $60.00 and that's a three month bill!

That's also in the summer when we use the most water, watering the yard washing cars,..during the winter we use much less.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
we just have rain water. the town water scheme doesn't come to our area, but a friend up the road is maybe only 1km away and she can get it. i don't really want it anyway... rainwater tastes way cleaner and nicer.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Don't stress yourself out ilu! :) I don't know how great our system is, but most people use a home filtration system for their drinking water. My mom has one on her fridge, I have one on my tap. You can drink the tap water on its own though, I think the filtering is just a preference. I strangely prefer the taste of tap/filtered tap water over bottled water. Bottled water is yucky IMO. lol but I'm weird.

Our water is included in our rent, but water is super cheap around here. My mom gets her bill every couple months I think and its like $30-$60 or something haha.

I know that hard water is really rich in calcium and minerals, but the smell is just so repulsive haha... Usually tastes a bit funny to me as well. Also, a lot of people around here with the well water have trouble with too much sulfur in their water, and too much other stuff (can't remember) that makes their water unable to drink without a seriously expensive filtration system and whatnot. I know my mom's setup is really complicated and pricey. She can't even wash her hair in it, because it turns her hair orange. o_O But hers is definitely the worst case I've seen. There are a lot of more moderate cases around here though.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I can't remember a time when there wasn't at least one part of the country that had acute water shortages. I remember in the 80's we had restrictions to the point where you weren't allowed to water your garden. People had devices installed on their sink-outlets that channelled the water to their gardens rather than let it run away through the sewerage system. (Only sinks, not on toilets, obviously!). A few years ago the North-eastern part of the country had such a severe drought that at one stage one reservoir that serve several towns only had three days' water supply left before the taps have dried up. Then it started to rain. (Phew!)

Funny thing is, although the reservoir that serves my area is overflowing at the moment, we still have to use it sparingly, because it still has to go via the water treatment plant, and considering that a water treatment infrastructure that was built to serve 5 million people is now trying to serve 40million people... well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the problem here.

I suppose we could drill a well... we have a lot of ground water where I live. I wouldn't risk it, though, considering that most of the ground water in the area is severely polluted from acid-water seeping out of old, disused gold mines :(.

(If you want to read something scary, google Johannesburg mine water crises :eek:)

But back to new years resolutions:

xox.ilu.xox said:
ps, my new years resolution isnt going so hot.....ugh.
Don't beat yourself up, Rome wasn't built in a day. Just keep trying ;).

I can say Ugh to mine too... went for a run yesterday, and I felt like I would die after doing 5km in just less than an hour, while I used to be able to do 10km in about 50 minutes :(.

Baby steps... baby steps...

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Antoinette, do you use cisterns? We all collect water from the sky...it falls on the roof and the gutters run it into a cistern. Most houses are built on top of a cistern, big concrete area under the house. We have two big tanks outside, above ground, for our water (we live in a wooden house). We had to start getting trucked water because we have a lot of trees over the house. Keeps it cooler inside, but we also have a lot of iguanas that poop on the roof, and lots of chickens who like to poop on the roof too. Yuck! So, until the trees are cleared, we get desalinated water. I'm looking forward to having rain water again. It makes your hair awesome! And it is so nice for your skin too. And of course, the free part is always nice!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Xero said:
Don't stress yourself out ilu! :) I don't know how great our system is, but most people use a home filtration system for their drinking water. My mom has one on her fridge, I have one on my tap. You can drink the tap water on its own though, I think the filtering is just a preference. I strangely prefer the taste of tap/filtered tap water over bottled water. Bottled water is yucky IMO. lol but I'm weird.

Our water is included in our rent, but water is super cheap around here. My mom gets her bill every couple months I think and its like $30-$60 or something haha.

I know that hard water is really rich in calcium and minerals, but the smell is just so repulsive haha... Usually tastes a bit funny to me as well. Also, a lot of people around here with the well water have trouble with too much sulfur in their water, and too much other stuff (can't remember) that makes their water unable to drink without a seriously expensive filtration system and whatnot. I know my mom's setup is really complicated and pricey. She can't even wash her hair in it, because it turns her hair orange. o_O But hers is definitely the worst case I've seen. There are a lot of more moderate cases around here though.
I don't know what hard water you have come across, but it doesn't have any scent unless it is contaminated, normally with bacteria or fungi...

If it turns her hair orange it is probably heavy metal contamination, most likely copper or iron which are fairly common in ground water, which is why we don't use wells here as we have iron pans everywhere.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Washing your hair with tomato sauce is meant to stop it happening, meant to work after exposure to chlorine as well.

Oh, to be on topic for the first time in this topic. I don't make new years resolutions, plus our traditional new year is on the 25th of March.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah, more than likely its a kind of metal contamination. I don't know the specifics, I know she obviously does though (its her water lol, and has been inspected and specially filtered by some company). I didn't say it was due to the hard water though, I said we had problems around here with "too much" of certain things. May it be metals or like I said, sulfur, we just get that a lot around here. Such is well water, I suppose.

Hard water doesn't smell? I guess I have just had too much experience with contaminated hard water lol so I relate the two.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Yeah, more than likely its a kind of metal contamination. I don't know the specifics, I know she obviously does though (its her water lol, and has been inspected and specially filtered by some company). I didn't say it was due to the hard water though, I said we had problems around here with "too much" of certain things. May it be metals or like I said, sulfur, we just get that a lot around here. Such is well water, I suppose.

Hard water doesn't smell? I guess I have just had too much experience with contaminated hard water lol so I relate the two.
no hard water doesn't necessarily smell, but a lot of hard water also has higher sulphur content, or more to the point untreated sulphur content. So, hard water may smell bad but it doesn't smell bad because it's hard...does that make sense?

Our water doftener is not perfomring up to standards these days, I can't wait for the day I can afford to just call up the water softner service and say, "come put it in" I 'd so gladly pay a monthly charge rather than have the headache and expense of maintaining /replacing one. I really fell for it when I bought a relatively expensive yet cheaply made machine from a well known large retailer, whose name may or may not rhyme with "Deers..."

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
We have well water also, I am so spoiled by it. I am not a fan of water (to drink) and I will not drink bottled or city water. I can taste the difference and drinking any other water besides our well water is like drinking from a pipe. People even comment on how good our water is.
It's a little hard but not to bad, a friend of ours had a well with to much sulfur.....my god it stunk and they could not drink it, so they had water shipped in. What a hassel, but they couldn't afford to have the well replaced (they've had it fixed since) it was gross. I don't know how they did it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's the way my mom's is, M2M. :/ Its real bad, thankfully she has that special system put in for drinking/cooking water. DH's mom's water is much the same, its just gross.

I just realized I quoted my mom's water bill LOL!! She has a well, its free. I was referring to the bills she used to get when I lived with her, which was in a different house closer to the next town over that got city water.