No Smoking in Parks in 3 local Parks in Peterborough ON...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
meow_173 said:
because its an addiction.
Why do alcoholics still drink?
Why do Drug addicts still use?

I don't know how hard it is to quit smoking, but i can only imagine its really hard.....unfortunatly for those who have smoked for years and years, the the damage is usually already done.....or its too late.
I have tried to quit many times. It turns me into a liar. Its hard very very hard. I havent given up and will probably take another run this year. I have been told its worse than herion. I dont know because Ive never done herion but its by far the worst mistake I have ever made. If I could go back in time that would be the first thing I would change.

The second part of your quote I believe is incorrect. When my mother was dying from bone cancer her onacologist (MSP, cancer doctor)told her while I was in the room "At least you know it wasnt from your smoking because you had quit over ten years ago"<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI> she had smoked for 30+ years. He went on to explain that people who have quit for more than ten years are at the same risk level as people who never smoked. .... I'm not sure thats just what he told us. I think he reads a lot of books so I am not going to argue with him.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I smoke, I smoke around my kids, I try to go outside, but I don't always do it. I have no problem with a designated area, or banning in restaurants (it's gross to eat when someone is smoking) I don't agree with out right banning, our zoo's are smoke free, not a big deal to me, our hospital is smoke free along with the property, when I had my last I had to walk to the street to smoke (mind you this was about 18 hours after I had him). I smoke when at the park BUT I always walk as far away as possible and make sure there are no kids around me.

I think the problem is that some smokers are not courteous to those who don't (regardless of wheter or not they are kids or adults) I think that if a lot of smokers would just show some courtesy we wouldn't have such a public flogging of smokers (I hope that made sense).

We should be worried about how much banning of smoking goes on by our government, one step at a time our rights are being stepped on, right know it is smoking that is being "picked" on, but what is next..obesity, after all it is responsible for almost the same amount of medical problems as smoking causes each year.

I just think it is something everyone should pay attention to.

I hope that made sense the little ones are fighting so I keep loosing my train of thought :) .

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree m2m.

On a lighter side the other day i was dropping the kids off and was looking at the school bus. Big NO SMOKING sign,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Really ,,,,glad they put a sign there because I wasnt sure if I could smoke there. Same thing at the hospital Not only on the entry door but within the building brass plaques everwere NO SMOKING,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really I thought I could smoke while they were taking my Xray or in the gift shop.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
bssage said:
The talk in Iowa is the possability of outlawing it when your in a car period. I am not making this up. Ok now I cant smoke in a bar, On public property, On the property owned by the CO I work for and possabily in the future my car. Your right its not illegal to smoke Its just illegal to smoke anywhere but home. If I am in my car or outside,,,,,,,,,it just makes me mad. They are building on thier successes first the restraunt, then the bar, Public places, private places indoors outdoors. Is it going to stop Xero? When are they going to say "thats enough, were done?" There not. You think people arent going to try and use the sucess they have had with this for other agenda's?
I know that they banned smoking on Iowa State University campus totally, not even in a persons car. I dont think its enforced very well because I still see people smoking and our building manager goes up on the roof.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Dadu2004 said:
They did the same thing here at the Cleveland Clinic. YOu can't smoke on the grounds anywwhere, and they won't hire you if you're a smoker. You actually have to submit to a blood test to determine if you're a smoker, and if you are, you're immediately excluded from all job possibilities with them. I personally think that's discrimination and there should be a lawsuit filed.
<U>Doc Cottle Disapproves</U>, lol

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lol

Yeah, Mom2Many, I do agree with that. There are so many inconsiderate people out there.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
bssage said:
The talk in Iowa is the possability of outlawing it when your in a car period.
I thought that was because when youre smoking while driving you cant have both hands on the steering wheel, which you are required to do while driving? Im probably wrong though.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
As far as I know there is no requirment to keep both hand on the wheel. Infact I never drive like that. It may have been important before the advent of power steering.

My bottom line is some of this is not a bad thing. I am old enough to remember when you could barely see when flying in a plane. When meeting rooms were filled with smoke. Its hard to defend the smokers because we all know its a bad thing. But the obvious conclusion to this(I know you all think I am being an extremist here) is a ban, or the only place will be hiding with the pot smokers in a alley and behind buildings. Ciggarettes will be the new gateway drug.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
haha, I'm picturing the smokers (pot or otherwise) hiding in a ally now. I've known quite a few of each...very well actually, and never pictured either hiding in an ally ;-)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
bssage said:
As far as I know there is no requirment to keep both hand on the wheel. Infact I never drive like that. It may have been important before the advent of power steering.
You'll fail a driver's licence test if you don't drive with both hands on the wheel at all times.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
my last take on this---
yeah, smoking is bad. it does cause damage first and second hand. but watching someone drink is just as damaging to a person as breathing in second hand smoke. only thing is watching some one drink could be considered the same as watching some one get high off of the heroine, cocaine, lsd, what have you. so it can be as mentally damaging to a person's mind as breathing in second hand smoke is to a person's body.....

as for the rest of the debate--got no argument. we all know the smoking aint good, in fact that cigarettes kill as much as alcohol does. i would and do smoke in the designated areas. yep, our local hospitals, several in our area--atleast 5 that i can think of, have banned smoking on on the premises and ya have to walk off the property if ya want one. not too sure if you can smoke in your car on some of the hospitals' properties since i've had no reason to visit them and hope to never have a reason to find out. i do smoke in my car at the one closest (when i've had to visit) 'cause they haven't even made it clear whether or not ya can smoke in your car on that property anyway.
one other thought i've said already--if you're going to ban one then you should ban the other totally, completely, no excuses.
yep--ya can't drink and drive, ya can't drink on government property and its getting that way with the cigs too. but you can still drink at ball games (at least ya could the last time i checked) and you can still drink at lots of places such as traders' village in the dfw metroplex. heck that place sells it. and the last time i knew you could still get a beer or two or three at the local national baseball team's park--a place where tons of kids go each summer.
anyways, if you ban the smoking where kids will be or where it will be a nuisance to folks because they don't like the smell or the littering from the butts then you should ban alcohol for those very same reasons.

ya can't ban one where kids will be or ir when others feel something about that thing is a nuisance if you don't ban the other---especially when both have results that can and/or do end in involuntary deaths (the drinking through drunk driving and the cigs. through second hand smoke).

as for conspiracy theories--those things come and go all the time about this and lots of other things. Every thing should Always be taken with a grain of salt.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
It's not legal to drink alcohol in public places. That's why there are bars. Are you saying it would be okay to make a "smoking bar" so to speak? Since we are comparing drinking to smoking, then you would absolutely never be allowed to smoke in a place like a playground. It's called public drunkeness. It's indecent. No one wants to see someone drinking and getting drunk at wal-mart. If you think they are the same, then smoking shouldn't be allowed in public places since drinking isn't (other than bars, and moderate drinking in restaurants).

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
drinking is allowed at bars, restaurants, sports arenas, some movie theaters, comedy shows, concerts, there are bars and restaurants in the malls that serve drinks, camp grounds, hotels, some beaches, airplanes, airports, Chuck E Cheese (lol)...sorry just wanted to point that out. There are a lot of public places you can drink

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Xero said:
It's not legal to drink alcohol in public places.
Bars, resturants anywhere that has a LLBO (Liquor Licence Board of Ontario ) a licence to sell Alcohol, can.

Places such as: parks, playgrounds, things like that you cannot have open alcohol

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
fallon said:
drinking is allowed at bars, restaurants, sports arenas, some movie theaters, comedy shows, concerts, there are bars and restaurants in the malls that serve drinks, camp grounds, hotels, some beaches, airplanes, airports, Chuck E Cheese (lol)...sorry just wanted to point that out. There are a lot of public places you can drink
I guess it depends where you live a little, but a lot of that isn't public. Bars, restaurants, sports arenas, yeah. But comedy shows (same thing as a restaurant), concerts (usually held in a sports arena), camp grounds (you're renting it out or using it as personal property, that's not public), hotels (not public, its personal rented out property and no one is watching), airplanes you can have a drink but I don't know about get drunk, all that stuff is either private (not public), or a repeat of the first things you listed. Anyway, here, you are not allowed to smoke at beaches or airports (or any airports that I have seen so I don't know what you're talking about because I travel fairly often and the only drinking I've seen at airports are if they are LARGE and have actual bars in them, in which case the drinking is at the bar and not the air port), or at our Chuck E Cheese. I didn't get specific, but still most of the stuff you listed is not a public place. Either way, in a LOT of those places, if you were to get to drunk and act indecent in front of people, you would get arrested for public drunkeness and that's my point.

But I admit, there are a few places that I failed to mention. I'm sure we could come up with more, but they're really common sense and none of them are playgrounds or places covered with children (wow I can't believe you said your Chuk E Cheese though, that's nuts), and none of them massively public, everyday places (at least not that are allowed everywhere). Although I did forget that in other states they sell alcohol at stores. Its not like that here.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
you can smoke in the bars at the airport here, and I know exactly what I'm talking about and I've seen plenty of drunks on an airplane. Those are all public places Xero. and I was just talking about places where drinks are served, not smoking