One month to go and swollen ankles?...

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
So I officially have less than 30 days left in my pregnancy and last night my feet swelled up really bad. About 2 times their normal size. My mom tested them by pushing on them to see if they bounced back and instead her fingers made an indent. This has been paired with moving spots in my vision, light-headed-ness, and cases of nausea. I've read on WebMD this could be hypertension or pre-eclampsia. Has anyone had this issue before? I don't think I'm spilling protein at all, because my doctor would have caught that.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
What level are your compression stockings? They might not be the correct compression for you, but you should probably still see your doctor.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Pregnant women are meant to wear compression stockings when they start to experience swelling in the legs, they stop the vein damage associated with pregnancy, which removes the DVT risk associated with pregnancy as well. Swelling in the legs can cause light headedness in some people as their blood is pooling, or give you that very light headed feeling when you stand up quickly.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't know many people that wear those stockings when pregnant but I have definitely heard of them and seen them - I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try them. I agree with Jeremy to always be sure to drink as much water as possible to prevent dehydration.

Otherwise, I went through something similar towards the end of my first pregnancy too. My ankles were swollen up like crazy, it sure was ugly. :/ And I was dizzy, light headed and nauseous all the time, so I can't really point you in any specific direction for that haha. I didn't notice ever being able to make indents like that in my ankles, but its funny that reminds me that in the last month or so of my pregnancy I had the weirdest pouch of skin at the bottom of my belly that was for some reason kind of numb, and it pretty much almost felt like putty, and would stay if I poked it. o__o I never did ask about that lol, but who knows.

Some funky stuff happens to our bodies during pregnancy!! I'd say if you get too worried to ask your doctor about it for sure. :) And keep your feet up!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I never had that problem when I was pregnant, but within 24 hours of giving birth my feet became huge. I swear I could feel the water jiggling around in my ankles and they actually hurt from how much the skin would stretch. I would just put my feet up and try to stay off them as much as possible.

It is very normal though, I would just mention it to your doc.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I would totally call the doctor about this one. Swelling can be quite normal, but it is always best to get the professional's input. That's what they are there for, right?

I am starting to see some swelling in my feet too. Not much, but a little. I have 2 months left. My feet have KILLED me though this pregnancy, right from the get go. Not swelling, just hurt. I wear shoes with orthodics all the time, even when I'm not pregnant, so when I go around for a day in flip flops I am about ready to cut my feet off at the end of the day.

Dehydration is a big one. Most people don't drink enough water. I tend to forget sometimes myself. My midwife said to me, "When you drink some water, and you think you've had enough, drink two more glasses then you will be good." That helps a lot with swelling, feeling lightheaded, reducing Braxton Hicks contractions.

Let us know what the doc says! No fun have sausage feet!!!!

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
So I went to the doctor today because I did call the doctor as M2M had suggested and they put me as top priority because apparently when your feet swell and don't bounce back, they can be attributed with pre-eclampsia or some sister syndrom related to pre-eclampsia, the name of which escapes me (so many fancy names for illnesses and disorders these days). So the doctor fit me in today and now they took a blood test on me and they are having me do a 24-hour urine test at home. Which honestly is a bit gross because the want me to keep the 1 gallon bottle refrigerated. Anyway, while I was there, she wanted to do a pelvic exam and apparently its starting to thin out down there and I'm about 1/2 centimeter dilated. She said this doesn't really mean anything, but it still makes me nervous. But I have another appointment coming up on Friday so we will see where this will go from there.

Computerdad

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2010
Summerville, SC
well, the last thing you need for you is to have your blood pressure checked while your anxious, you seem like your in very well informed, capable hands(likely to be your own) be confident, that baby will get there when its supposed to be there :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Let us know how it goes. I would think the thinning and 1/2cm dilation is not too much to worry about. If you are due in 30 days, does that mean that you are 36 weeks now? At 37 weeks you are considered full term...so you wouldn't be too far off!!! Try not to worry, you are going to be a mom really really soon!

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
I'm not worried. Yea, I'm at 36 weeks and 4 days today. So that means next week I'm 37 weeks and the baby will be considered full term. Its very exciting. The only thing that has me worried is this baby could come any day of the week and my husband isn't up here yet because the Navy is being a bunch of jerks and have been about moving him for the past 2 weeks.
The blood test came back today and it said nothing I didn't already know except that I'm slightly anemic atm. Which I guess is not all that uncommon in pregnancy. The urine test results haven't come back yet.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh no I hope he's home soon, that would be just awful to have to go in without him!! :(

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
Yea, I know. Tell me about it. And he wants to see his first child born more than anything so he has been harassing them like crazy trying to give them a swift kick in the @$$ to get them in gear and start doing the work they are supposed to be doing.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Do you have a back up person who can come with you for the birth? I REALLY hope you don't need them!!!! But a plan B, and a plan C is always a good idea.

Let us know about the urine test and hopefully everything is good and the baby holds out for dad!

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
Yea, hopefully. I got another appointment on Friday so hopefully I'll have the results then. As for a backup person, yea. My parents are divorced so I have a stepmom who really would like to be there and already volunteered to be the plan B person.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Good news on a plan B! Hopefully you wont need her, but it's great that she offered. I wouldn't want to be all alone for delivery. I know when my son was born, I needed someone there who knew me so they could communicate for me. A natural childbirth (back labor at that) doesn't really leave you in your right mind. Good to have someone speak up for you. Do you have a written birth plan??? That is good to have too. That way your wishes are spelled out from the get go and you don't have to deal with all the questions.

I was telling my husband about the urine test you have to do. We both joked, hope no one goes into your fridge for ice cold lemonade!!!