Opinions Please - Could it be ADHD?...

lancastd

Feb 20, 2008
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'd really like some advice from other parents who've been through similar situations and what the outcome was.

My DS is in the 4th grade and his teacher feels he may have ADHD (without saying it). What she does tell me is that he constantly needs redirecting, frequently stares off into space and is up walking around the room when he's suppose to be working.

He's always bringing classroom work to be finished at home because he's obviously not getting it done in class.

His grades are currently Reading 74, Science 84, Social Studies 81, Language Arts 88 and Math 91.

Reasons for his low SS grade she says is low test scores. His reading grade is that he's constantly turning in work late - this is what he's bringing home to finish. FYI - Reading is after lunch. I'm not sure where the other subjects fall.

So I asked my son about the staring off into space and he agrees he does it. He says that he's slower at getting his work done and when the other kids get finished they start talking. He says he'll catch part of a conversation and think 'that's interesting' and continue to listen. This is when he's maybe staring at the floor. I'm assuming so it doesn't look like he's listening to the conversation.

He also complains because he says the noise level in the room will escalate when the others finish and "they have no respect" for the ones who haven't finished and it gets louder and louder and he can't stay focused on his work.

As far as him getting up and roaming around the room he couldn't give me an answer as to why he would be doing this but says the other kids do it too. One thing I'm guessing is he's got OCD about his pencil lead needing to be sharp. We've rectified that problem buy getting mechanical pencils.

Now from what I remember when I was in school we weren't allowed to just roam around the room. And if everyone was still working we had to read a book or just sit there or some teachers would allow us to talk quietly as long as we were respectful of those still working.

A couple of other things:
No issues have been brought to my attention from his past teachers other than his kindergarten teacher, but her whole class was out of control so I dismissed her comments. It was her first year teaching Kinder and she even told me she didn't know if she wanted to teach anymore and actually quit the last month of school.
He's always been a very happy and polite young man but this year he seems a little sad and his confidence has gone down. I think one because the teachers have singled him out even separating him from the rest of the class (not for acting out but just so they can make sure he stays focused). He's got kids in his class that are bullying him. Calling him fat and tripping him on the play ground.

Now what's funny is he can get his homework and unfinished classroom work done on the noisy 5 min bus ride or even complete <U>two</U> assignments in 15 minutes or less here at home when he wants to go out and play. He just can't seem to get it done in class.

As far as reading goes.... He's a great reader but maybe has a little trouble with comprehension (reading between the lines). Part of his reading grade is writing which is a big issue. His handwriting is good, he just doesn't like to do it. So with assignments that require a little elaboration he tries to be as general as possible. Now verbally he will give you a second by second account of any story he's telling you. Even this morning he didn't want to sign his last name on his progress report because it was "too much".

I asked if his hand cramps from writing too much and he said no he just didn't want to do it and even told me the other day he was just being a bit lazy about it. He had an assignment answering questions and verbally gave me a great answer but when writing it down it was a generic simple answer. When I told him he needed to write the whole thing he got mad and broke his pencil lead. I disciplined him and he decided he'd go ahead and finish writing his entire thought.

I mentioned this to his teacher and she tells me "I don't think he's lazy. He may just call it that because he doesn't know exactly what it is, but there are other brain disorders that will cause this. Like maybe he forgets what he wants to write down."

WHAT?! :arghh:

I personally don't think my son has ADD or ADHD - of course this is just me. I think he may be bored or feeling left out. He generally doesn't get recess because he's catching up on unfinished assignments. Not only is he spending 7 hours at school working but then has to bring work home and spends 2 - 5 hours a night trying to get them completed for the next day.

I've tried giving him an hour of play time after school before he has to sit down and work on his homework but have since had to take this away. Now he can't play unless all his homework is complete.

I could go on and on about things but I've already made this way to long. I'd really love opinions and will answer any questions you all may have.

Thanks in advance,
Dawn

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
It may or may not be ADHD. As a parent, I would want him to be tested and evaluated to find out for sure.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I wanted to chime in and just say welcome and that I am glad you are trying to rectify this before it becomes a problem.
I don't know what to tell you about what to do and the such as I have never been in the situation. But I do know we have a few here that have children with ADD/ ADHD so they should be able to give you some pointers on what you shoul dbe doing or not doing

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
School is a great evil, and some of the smarter children tend to rebel against it, with everything they've got at times. Why should your son complete their stupid dittos and such?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
SpitNCobra13 said:
School is a great evil, and some of the smarter children tend to rebel against it, with everything they've got at times. Why should your son complete their stupid dittos and such?
Why are you so anti school?? Granted, not all schools are the greatest, but that doesn't mean every school is evil. Not to mention the fact that it <I>is </I>possible this child has difficulties (ADHD, learning disabilities, ??...) that need to be addressed. As a parent, I would want to have thorough testing done before deciding what course of action to take. If the child is normal, then blame the current educational situation, but I don't feel it does the child justice to assume the school is to blame from the get go.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Trina said:
Why are you so anti school?? Granted, not all schools are the greatest, but that doesn't mean every school is evil. Not to mention the fact that it <I>is </I>possible this child has difficulties (ADHD, learning disabilities, ??...) that need to be addressed. As a parent, I would want to have thorough testing done before deciding what course of action to take. If the child is normal, then blame the current educational situation, but I don't feel it does the child justice to assume the school is to blame from the get go.
agreed 100%

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
Actually, what you describe sounds more like Aspergers (on the Autism spectrum) than it does ADHD. You should immediately request an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) from the school. It's a simple letter you can even hand write and give in at the school office and they are legally required to respond to it within a prescribed period of time.

Also, if you have a really good relationship with your pediatrician, discuss these matters with the doctor. Ask for a letter of recommendation for state testing at your local regional testing facility and make sure they test for both ADHD and Aspergers. You can direct the testing for a proper diagnosis by filling out the questionnaires as honestly as possible and not with an eye to either minimizing or exaggerating your son's issues.

Don't try to diagnose this yourself and don't allow the teachers to either. Schools are federally obligated to provide "equal access" to education for ALL students regardless of their challenges in accessing the curriculum. If the teachers are pointing out that your son is having difficulties, they are clearly attempting to encourage you to get him the services that he may be entitled to so that he can succeed, but they will not tell you what services are available because these services cost the school districts money to provide and only children identified as needing them will qualify for them.

The other parent who said get him tested is spot on. Don't delay, because it could take six months before he receives any services that he may need and a delay will only put him into the next grade with deficits.

Good luck and realize that though this is a very frustrating process for both of you, it will get better when you get the help you need to deal with whatever is going on, even if it turns out just to be that he is highly intelligent and quite bored with his curriculum.

lancastd

Feb 20, 2008
Thank you for your replies, all are appreciated.

As far as him have Aspergers, if I go by this description, it is absolutely not my son

Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space. Often overly sensitive to sounds, tastes, smells, and sights, the person with AS may prefer soft clothing, certain foods, and be bothered by sounds or lights no one else seems to hear or see. It's important to remember that the person with AS perceives the world very differently. Therefore, many behaviors that seem odd or unusual are due to those neurological differences and not the result of intentional rudeness or bad behavior, and most certainly not the result of "improper parenting".
My son doesn't seem to have problems with changes, the only obsession he has is about that pencil not getting too dull because he prefers the way a sharpened pencil writes. His only issue with sound is his location in reference to his teacher who just talks really loud and when he's working in class and the kids who have finished their work start talking loud. He's never complained about noises or lights and honestly, I have more issues with noise than my son does. We don't have issues with him invading "body space" except that of his little sisters. He does like to pester her but it's not a complaint coming from the school or that anyone has ever complained of or seen. He's actually very polite and the only "bad behavior" is his inability to complete his reading assignments in class and his lack of wanting to be descriptive when writing "because it takes too long" and the getting up out of his seat to "roam around the room".

He could very well be mild ADD/ADHD. I don't want this to be taken wrong because it's not entirely her fault I'm sure but why would she just let the kids wander about the room. When I asked my son about it he says the other kids do it as well. Secondly, why would she not try to keep the noise level down for those students still working? Although I don't know that it's actually the noise that's the problem it's my son participating in or listening to conversations he finds interesting instead of tuning it out while he does his work. Which is exactly what he told me.

Now he can be at home with the TV on and his little sister being loud, the dish washer running and he's at the kitchen table getting his work done without effort or assistance. He does work better one on one with me or in a smaller group than with his entire class.

And again, this is the first year (other than in Kindergarten two schools ago) that anything has been mentioned about him possibly being ADD/ADHD.

His is kinda silly at times and likes to make people laugh. He's never had a problem making friends and this is the first year that he's had issues with other kids picking on him. He can be a bit stubborn, likes to do what he wants and thinks he's right about everything until proven otherwise. Sometimes takes things too literal - such as if it's 7:56 and I say it's 8 o'clock he'll correct me with the actual time although that he's finally getting past as well.

I definitely don't think it's an issue with the school in general, it could be the way the information is being taught whether it be material or the teacher - they are taught all year long in the form of the standardized test given here in TX.

He told me tonight his teacher said today that she's thinking secretly video taping him so she can show me what he does in class. Which I'm perfectly fine with honestly.

I spoke with my sister who also had issues in the 4th grade. She failed one to three subjects every grading period that year and was grounded nearly the entire year and then held back. It was also her first year in a new school (This is my son's second year at this school.) She complained that I distracted her from getting her homework done because I always listened to the radio and was given her own room which didn't help her grades at all. She recently told me that she just didn't want to do the work. It wasn't that she didn't understand it she just didn't want to do it. No one suggested to my parents that she had any kind of "brain disorder" she wasn't offered any tutoring and unfortunately, my parents didn't sit down with her like I do with my son to try and help her with her homework or even check everyday to see if she had homework. It was just expected that she'd bring home her assignments and she'd get them done. They finally kinda gave up on the issue all together and took her off restriction.

I've also talked to other family members and non of them feel Kavan is ADD/ADHD but then again, they don't see him as often as the teacher or we do here at home. One of our cousins did say he use to think our DS may need to be tested but after spending as much time with us as they do (almost every weekend or every other weekend) he has since changed his opinion and doesn't feel that way and they have a daughter with ADHD.

Okay.... well I just pulled up this website and based on what the teacher tells me he falls right in. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/symptom.htm

I'll be looking for a pediatrician tomorrow. I do want to find alternative methods of treating him though rather than giving him meds.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

Freezer

Banned
Dec 6, 2007
Hmm, maybe it is just me, but I think person who started this thread has a indepth knowledge on this subject. In my business, we all it a "Persona".

FionnaK

PF Regular
Feb 18, 2008
New York
I just wonder why this is all coming out now though. Many people I have met with ADHD have had major issues in school from the start. So why now is it suddenly a problem? Can ADHD "strike" at any time?

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
Freezer said:
Hmm, maybe it is just me, but I think person who started this thread has a indepth knowledge on this subject. In my business, we all it a "Persona".
Well all we can do is respond the best way we know how and then it is up to the person whom we have armed with the information to either do something with it, or to ignore/discard it. Either way, it's completely outside of anyone else's control.

I am constantly amazed at how many people attempt to diagnose things using the internet as their primary source of information. If the trend continues, we may not need professionals at all. :D

Freezer

Banned
Dec 6, 2007
EHB said:
I am constantly amazed at how many people attempt to diagnose things using the internet as their primary source of information. If the trend continues, we may not need professionals at all. :D
Now that is a scary thought.

If I were a professional on ADHD and posting information online I'd be upfront about it, but maybe it is more interesting to wrap it into an interesting personal story where I post the answer to my own problem. Once again maybe it just me, but there is something about deceiving others intentionally that rubs me wrong even if the intent is to educate.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
lancastd said:
My DS is in the 4th grade and his teacher feels he may have ADHD (without saying it). What she does tell me is that he constantly needs redirecting, frequently stares off into space and is up walking around the room when he's suppose to be working.
I read this far and immediately wondered why people think this is a problem with the child.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
If it were my son, I would get him tested by a good developmental pediatrician (not a general ped), using reports from his teachers and from all the important adult caregivers in his life. It can be tricky. My nephew has Asperger's and ADHD, and the combination makes it difficult to always tell what is going on with him (e.g., is he emotionally disconnected or just has too short an attention span to connect with people in a conversation). He has gotten several in-depth evals from dev peds that looked at all aspects of his life, and this helped craft a great IEP.

Good luck. I hope you find answers soon.

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
Trina said:

My Personal belief is that all institutionalized education is extremely detrimental to a person. I understand that it is a radical belief, but it is what I believe, and if you research some of my posts, or search for "unschooling" here or on the web, you will find out more about it. Its not that I don't respect you enough to post, its just that every week or so someone that doesn't know what Ive posted questions it, so its probably easier to just search it :)

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
While I think SpitNCobra (what does that name mean, btw?) has a view that is a little extreme towards school...I think he is probably the poster that I agree with most on this thread.

Everything you say about your son screams normal.

I went to an ADHD site, and all of the "symptoms" of ADHD...everyone has.

It's dumb to label him as having a disorder when it's probably just the teacher not able to control her class. It's kinda funny that he can be normal and focus when he want to away from school... no?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
lancastd said:
I
...he constantly needs redirecting, frequently stares off into space and is up walking around the room when he's suppose to be working.
I think I might have ADHD. :eek: