Parent/Stepparent conflict...

mom.w.no.kids

Aug 27, 2011
New York
I can definitely relate to this scenario from the step parent point of view. I'm 21, living with my boyfriend of 3 yrs and his 2 daughters on weekends, whom are 8 and 4. The 8 yr old I met right off the bat, due to her mostly being at our house, even though her mother has custody. The mother, 30ish still lives the 21 yr old lifestyle of bar hopping and concerts every night, whilst my boyfriend and I watch this poor girl wait for her to show up, only to be let down. I do everything I can for this girl: bake cookies together, go shopping, take her to lunch and movies... Everything I can that a mother should.. yet if we're in the middle of making a 3 story fort with princess crowns and all, she will run out the door without a simple "bye" to me as soon as her mother decides to show up, leaving me feel like chopped liver.. granted there is quite a difference between 8 and 20, but maybe emotionally not so much.

RegalSin

Banned
Sep 3, 2011
my partners brother (the 20yr old) refuses to acknowledge his stepdad as a parent and thinks his biological dad is God.
That is normal child and parent behaviour, even into old age. He known the step parent is a walking abomination, and will know this for life. Only in youth
( like a five year old ) he would care. To him it is a joke.

He neglects to take into account anything his stepdad says and creates stories about him.
Like what stories?

My partner is the complete opposite path in which he understands how hurtful and neglectful his biological dad has been over the years and both values and loves his stepdad and mom.
Why?