Parenting Confessions...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
So, I'm not perfect.

Sometimes I let my kids watch TV for an hour at a time so I can get the house clean. :eek:

I have let YDS taste all kinds of things lol, pretty much whenever I am eating I give him a lick. I even let him lick a lollipop on Halloween. :p

Sometimes when YDS starts fussing I will have ODS put his binky in his mouth instead of getting up. xD lol

Sometimes I'll set ODS up on the computer so that I can fall asleep on the couch while the baby is napping. o.o

What about you guys?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
OMG girl we don't have enough hours in the day to show just how dysfunctional my family can be LOL, but here are a few....

Let's see..when Cole is not being home schooled he spends at lest 5 hours..yes, 5 hours a day on the internet playing Roblox.

Kailyn has had soda, like soda, but also drinks unsweetened ice tea.

My kids eat ramen noodles at least 3-4 times a week. They really like them.

Sometimes the little one's room looks like a tornado went through it, ok a lot of times.

Hmmmm, I know there is more. I'll update as they come along :)

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Delaney eats waaaaaay too many chicken nuggets.

Spongebob is a great babysitter when I need to mow the lawn.

I sometimes get angry and swear around her.

I let her listen to some music that I know she likes but I don't necessarily approve of.

About every 6 months when she's at her mom's, I'll clean her room and get rid a ton of toys that she doesn't play with. She never knows. :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh yeah! lol ODS has had pop too, I'm guilty! I don't let him have it at home, but he is allowed to have something without caffeine in it if we go to a restaurant. It's a special treat for him.

He also spends way too much time on the Wii!! His current thing is Mario Sunshine.

When I'm out in public, I compare my baby to other babies. And my baby always wins. xD

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
hmmm, We let them both have pop too much, not all the time, but too much.

We've managed to teach them to love starches (mac and cheese, PB sandwiches) and we all go entire meal (okay entire days) without a vegetable.

We let DS2 fall asleep to the TV (usually Scooby Doo DVDs)

That's pretty much what I can think of.

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
I have encouraged my 7 year old to play at a friends house for the afternoon so that I can take a nap.

I also 'clean up' her room occasionally to dump old fast food toys and she doesn't know.

Easy-Mac and chicken nuggets are the dinner feature more often than I care to admit.

My 17 year old has her tongue pierced - I hate it but choose to fight other more important battles.

Sallyskidshop

PF Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I often completely lose the plot with our 7 year old granddaughter over silly things but that is generally when I'm tired.

We usually have fish & chips on a Saturday night, not into macdonalds or KFC. Let her have 4 sweets after dinner - made of natural juice makes me feel less guilty.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
IADad said:
hmmm, We let them both have pop too much, not all the time, but too much.

We've managed to teach them to love starches (mac and cheese, PB sandwiches) and we all go entire meal (okay entire days) without a vegetable.

We let DS2 fall asleep to the TV (usually Scooby Doo DVDs)

That's pretty much what I can think of.
Me too!

GavinH said:
I have encouraged my 7 year old to play at a friends house for the afternoon so that I can take a nap.

I also 'clean up' her room occasionally to dump old fast food toys and she doesn't know.

Easy-Mac and chicken nuggets are the dinner feature more often than I care to admit.

My 17 year old has her tongue pierced - I hate it but choose to fight other more important battles.
My now 19 year old has way more piercings then she needs on her face, most were done before she was 18....like you, there were other things to fight about.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Let's see - too much take-out, too little veg aahn you guys make me feel less guilty :p

I like to pretend that sstrawberry yoghurt counts as a serving of fruit (Shhh, don't correct me, please! :p )

I swear way too much around her. Ok, I swear to much - period :eek:

I often listen to music that is really inappropriate for little girls, around her... (I should probably stop that, since she's starting to figure out sone of the lyrics :eek:)

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
On the piercing ..... My daughter and I have an agreement. She got to pierce her tongue but no tattoos till she is 25 or supporting herself completely.

santa

Banned
Nov 17, 2011
Yeah I suppose its impossible to be completely attentive with a kid all the time but I guess you can try to minimize all the above as much as possible. How old is your kid? Coz if he\she is too young then TV might be a bad idea

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I never punish or get mad at Chloe. Everything is someone elses fault. She dumps stuff out, Whoever left it out is to blame. She breaks stuff in Cole's room, He should have locked the door. She pour coke on my phone, I shouldnt have left it on the counter.

She is just so cute I cant get mad and even when it looks like I do, I'm faking

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I often give ilo 'the chair'. Which means I put him in the high chair so I can sit down a minute. My house is about 660 square feet and I've found it impossible to childproof. He puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. And he does not sit his bum on the ground for more than 1.5 seconds at a time.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
lol You all made me feel way better now too. I did everything you all did too when Max was little. Probably way too much TV and eating a lot of goodies was my weakness most. lol

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
where do i start?
miss 12 was allowed to have her ear pierced last bday (the minimum age for the piercing parlour) and ended up with 4 in one ear, and 2 in the other!
my older ones have been robbed of their childhood through helping out with their siblings and doing chores
my 6yr old are eating chocolate iceceam for dessert, as it was just too hard to say no.
we cosleep and have had 8 people in our bed a few nights.
i give my youngst two the boob rather than let them 'learn' to 'self settle' and to soothe their owies.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Singledad - DH and I have that problem too, swear words tend to slip out around the kids by accident a little too often. In our defense, we never remember because he NEVER repeats them!! lol

bssage - you can't be blamed! How can you get mad at your baby girl? haha

Julie - you lie! lol funny about the high chair thing. I used to have a playpen when Eli was around a year old, and we rarely used it, but whenever I REALLY needed a break from chasing him around he'd get a few minutes in there haha. He didn't cry or anything, he just had a look of longing about him as if he'd rather be doing better things lol.

MomoJA - YDS sleeps with me every night, and honestly the only reason ODS doesn't still sleep with me is because he has sleep apnia and he snores and thrashes around (we are seeing a ENT about it now, might get his tonsils out).

alterego - Hey don't feel bad, I'm the oldest of six so that's nothin. ;) I unfortunately didn't breastfeed my oldest for long, but the little guy gets the boob whenever he wants it lol, and also his pacifier.

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
xero, my sister commented today that Ive been pregnant or breastfeeding for nearly my whole adult life (I had my eldest at 17)
6 kids in 12 years isnt too bad, but I often feel criticised for breastfeeding full term and having my kids do chores/help with siblings. Im a middle child, but love the closeness we shared as kids, rather than just our mums doing everything for us

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I have said negative things about families with many children, because I did see the down side on occasion as the oldest. My mom didn't just have us help with the chores and the younger kids, we pretty much did ALL of it and were required to do so, with zero social life allowed. As the oldest, I of course had the most on my shoulders. She was obviously one end of the extremes though. Helping is one thing, but leaving all of her kids with me every day when she felt like going out and never lifting a finger to fold a towel or do a dish because she had kids to do it for her is just wrong. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my mom and I LOVE my siblings and wouldn't trade (most of them lmao) for the world, but I wonder if things could have been easier if our family was smaller that's all. So I personally want to keep my family small. There sure is a lot of love in big families and we were never lonely, though. There are pros and cons to both options.

Wow, that is a lot of breastfeeding come to think of it!! haha And yeah I imagine I will get some criticism for breastfeeding this one as long as I plan to - probably even from my husband!! Oh well. :D