Powerless Parents...

KRan7

Mar 7, 2008
I have come to a conclusion recently that in our culture, parents are giving up their power, they are being convinced that others are more powerful agents of change in the life of their kids than they are. I believe that parents are giving their power away to 1) teachers 2) therapists/counselors 3) daycare providers.

Don't misunderstand, I believe that all of those people are agents of change and support the parents, but there is too much stock placed in professionals ability to create change and it convinces parents that they themselves can't make a difference.

When a kid recieves a diagnosis like depression, bipoloar, ADHD, etc, the care of that child is turned over to professionals and then parents (many of them at least) see this as overwhelming, don't know how to help rely on professionals for a once per week session and are paralyzed with fear or helplessness inbetween. I do believe that these people can help them--but I believe that parents have greater power to create positive change than they are taking.

Additionally, when there is a problem the advice is to take the kid to a therapist even if the kid doesn't want to go. We have become a society that relies on artificial support systems, where 60 years ago people would take up problems as a family or community--not a therapist or counselor.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
:JUMPS ON THE BAND WAGON:

I agree. I think our culture is so quick to just slap some disease on a child. Behavior modification. Behavior modification.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
haha...this poster may have done soemthing no one else has been able to do...they found a topic most the board most likely will agree with

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
well you and the OP share the same IP and host address...not sure how that could be possible unless you are the same person...prove me wrong and I would happy to apologize

Olson

Mar 7, 2008
I was refered to this forum by my co-worker, but we are not the same person.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Olson said:
I was refered to this forum by my co-worker, but we are not the same person.
so you and the OP know eachother...and you're both new. I'll give you the benfit of the doubt. Wow...we must have really made a great first impression if Kran7 is already refering people :rolleyes: I will say I'm sorry for now...maybe you could both introduce yourselves...do have children or are you guys doing a study on this matter

KRan7

Mar 7, 2008
Believe me, parenting is my life. I think this forum is fun, I have been watching it for days and finally decided to jump in. Olson, though not as charismatic and outspoken as me is also very interested in parenting. As for the debate, I have realized that I am not very good at starting debates, but Olson is apparently better at that than me, unfortunately the debate isn't about parenting, but identity. While we are on the subject of identity I was trying to upload a picture last night and it wouldn't load. Why?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
KRan7 said:
Believe me, parenting is my life. I think this forum is fun, I have been watching it for days and finally decided to jump in. Olson, though not as charismatic and outspoken as me is also very interested in parenting. As for the debate, I have realized that I am not very good at starting debates, but Olson is apparently better at that than me, unfortunately the debate isn't about parenting, but identity. While we are on the subject of identity I was trying to upload a picture last night and it wouldn't load. Why?
the pic is showing up in your profile but you have to have so many posts before it will allow you to put it in you avatar.

welcome to both of you...you'll have to forgive my quickness to assume your the same person, we don't get many match IPs around here but we do get few trolls once in awhile trying to stir up trouble (which is easy to do around here;) )