Question...

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
<r><FONT font="Arial"><s></s>My son asks questions. Like…a lot of them. If I had a counter, I’ll bet he could easily ring up 200 – 500 questions on a full day. I am not kidding! It drives me insane. He’ll just follow me all day, and ask me things. Some things he even knows the answer to, but he’s just in question mode so he asks anyway. <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>Sometimes I ignore the meaningless questions. Sometimes I’ll ask him what he thinks the answer is to promote his own thought process. Sometimes I’ll work with him to discover the answers. Sometimes I say I don’t know. But for the most part, it’s just this relentless inquisition. I love my son, but after about 30 questions, I’m mentally drained….by 100<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>This is not even a complaining post to be funny. I seriously want to drive to an empty field and scream my head off.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I feel like I created this monster by teaching him too many things too soon, or always explaining things so he knows what is going on. And what bugs me most, is he won’t ask mom! He’ll ask me what Mom is doing, or what she’s having for dinner when she’s right in front of him! <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>Has anyone else gone through this? Do they ever stop? Is there a trick to end this? <e></e></FONT></r>

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I'm sorry but it is normal. We are not at that stage yet obvioulsy, but having 6 nieces and nephews I know first hand that this is normal. All you can do is just answer him or if they are obvious things, like what is mom having for dinner, tell him, the same thing you are, what are you having? Put the question back on him.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
debralyn does this too...by the end of the day I think my brain is going to burst...lol we try to make her find the answer on her own (well with our help) but what really gets me is the questions she knows the answer to and asks anyway...I think to hear herself speak...lol oh and the same questions like 3 times in a day really bothers me too...I'm not sure when it stops but personally I hope it's soon

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
That's KT for yet another no-help, help post.

One solution I came up with that helps temporarily is to have a "No Question Day" It's usually a Sunday after I'm recovering from Saturday's onslaught of questions. I just say "Today is no question day!"

Helps for a bit.

I thought someone else might have some more good tricks.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
boy don't make smack you again!!!
There is no help for htis because kids ask question. If they didn't then they would never learn. if all you can do about it is complain then go at it

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Kaytee said:
boy don't make smack you again!!!
There is no help for htis because kids ask question. If they didn't then they would never learn. if all you can do about it is complain then go at it

I read somewhere that every time you teach a child something, that's one more thing he doesn't learn on his own. I want to teach him, but I also want him to think on his own.

And I just gave you one of my own tricks I use, No Question Day. So there are SOME things a parent can do to minimize it. Just because you can't come up with anything doesn't mean you have to be cranky. I'm sorry you have no ideas, but don't take it out on me.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
is that really the best for your son though? No question day, thats like saying "I'm sorry son, but you can't learn anything new today"

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Kaytee said:
is that really the best for your son though? No question day, thats like saying "I'm sorry son, but you can't learn anything new today"

lol....I suppose that does sound a little dumb when you put it that way.

I say No Question Day, but it really only lasts an hour or so before he's back to asking them.

All I know is I'm going crazy. I hate it. I know saying the word "hate" in regards to your son is blasphemy, but I really don't care. I hate it when my son asks me non-stop questions from the second I get home, until he goes to bed.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
one thing we do is tell her to take a little while to see if she can figure the answer out on her own...she usually does, that seems to help us a bit or I help her find the answer somewhere. Also when it is a question I know she knows the answer too I tell her I know it's in her brain somewhere and maybe if she takes some time to sit quietly she'll remeber...funny how quick the answer comes pouring out then

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I think this thread probably should have been more about what things can a parent do when they reach the breaking point.

There's should be an Anti-ParentingForums.com. A place where some of us not so happy all the time people can go to vent about our kids and wives and instead of people looking at you like you're crazy, they would say "amen!"

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
FooserX said:
I think this thread probably should have been more about what things can a parent do when they reach the breaking point.

There's should be an Anti-ParentingForums.com. A place where some of us not so happy all the time people can go to vent about our kids and wives and instead of people looking at you like you're crazy, they would say "amen!"
lol...that's pretty true...:)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Yes, totally normal! Annoying at times, I know. Not only is it great for their language development, but I've also read some kids do it to get more adult attention. Perhaps this is his way to spend more special time with Daddy. :)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
This is not even a complaining post to be funny. I seriously want to drive to an empty field and scream my head off.[/quote]

I go running 7 days a week and go running everywhere. There is not a street or ally I have not gone down many many times. One of the most frequent things I encounter is men sitting alone in their car reading, listening to the radio, or even watching a movie on their newly install DVD player. It is very common at the local parks. Hmmm..... I wonder why. :)

I see this every day when I go running, not just some days.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
fallon said:
lol...that's pretty true...:)
Seriously Fooser we all have breaking points for normal childhood things. I know I want to scream at my daughter when she wakes me up at 6:30 in the morning and does nothing but whine!!! It should be shaken toddler syndrome!!

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Kaytee said:
Seriously Fooser we all have breaking points for normal childhood things. I know I want to scream at my daughter when she wakes me up at 6:30 in the morning and does nothing but whine!!! It should be shaken toddler syndrome!!

When he gets to question 28, I just look at him and replay that TV commercial in my head over and over - "It's never okay to shake a baby. It's never okay to shake a baby."

I have a couple of questions for stay at home mom's:

1) When your spouse comes home, does he relieve you of parenting duties for the night and weekend?

2) Also, does your kid prefer to play with you or your husband? Be honest.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I have a couple of questions for stay at home mom's:

1) When your spouse comes home, does he relieve you of parenting duties for the night and weekend?
I get breaks, but no, he doesn't take over for the entire night or weekend. He helps with the kids often, but has a lot of work to do logged into work on his PC. That said, I do take off to shop and/or run errands by myself on weekends which is a nice mommy break. He also encourages me to visit my best friend and enjoy girly weekends a few times a year.

2) Also, does your kid prefer to play with you or your husband? Be honest.
Both kids go through stages. When they were really little they preferred me, but that's just because I was the primary caretaker. Now they like to spend time with either of us doing different things.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I found a great article on questions. I read somewhere that the average 4 year old asks 438 questions per day, I was looking for that article and came across this one instead. I have copied some of the interesting parts below, but if you want to read the whole article, go here http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/family/08/14/par.sticky.questions/index.html[/url]

Why do kids ask so many questions?

They're trying to make sense of a pretty baffling world, says Carol Faulkner, Ph.D., a child psychologist at Bradley Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island. "Being a little kid is like being an adult in a foreign country," she says. "They have new experiences and sensations every day. Sometimes it's fun, but sometimes it's confusing." The constant queries demonstrate that your child is on track developmentally. What's more, the type of questions he's likely to ask correlates to his age:

2 years old: He's going through a language boom and will ask mostly labeling questions: "What's that?" Your answers increase his vocabulary.

3 years old: As his brain develops, he'll work himself up to the "whys": "Why is it dark at night?" Now your responses help him understand what he sees. Parenting.com: Why toddlers ask "why?"

4 years old and up: He's realizing there's a world outside his own sensory experience (there once were dinosaurs, even though they don't exist now, for instance), so he'll build up to more complex questions, often based on how things work together: "How does a car run?"

Can I get the questions to stop? Please?

One night when I made chicken for dinner, I lived through this exchange: "Mommy, you're cooking a chicken?!" Closely followed by: "Is the chicken dead?" (Yes.) "Did you kill it?" (Goodness, no.) "How did it die?" (Perhaps by natural causes? I have no idea.) "Was it a boy chicken or a girl chicken?" (Query to husband: Do we eat rooster, or are all edible chickens hens?) "Don't its mommy and daddy miss it?" (I'm not touching that one.) "Can I have two pieces?" (Yes!) "Will we bury the chicken in a cemetery?" (Chickens don't go in cemeteries.) "Why not? People go in cemeteries, why not chickens? Are our tummies chicken cemeteries? I don't want to be a chicken cemetery!"
Sometimes, patient and loving as you are, you just can't take it anymore. "For me, it's not the big questions," says Meredith Willson of West Hartford, Connecticut. "It's the constant, small, repeated questions that get to me. I can answer my 4-year-old's questions during the first read of a book, but by the 20th read, I am done." Cutting back on the queries can be as simple as saying "That's enough questions for now" or "Why don't you save your best questions to ask me at bedtime?" (Thankfully, your child will most likely forget most of them by then.) Then find a solution: When your child peppers you with queries, interpret it as a call for attention. If you can stop whatever you're doing to play or talk with your child for a little while, you might cut down on some of the "whys." Another option: Try redirecting your child to an activity she can do well on her own. She'll occupy herself with something she feels confident about, you'll get a quick break, and you'll build your energy back up for the next onslaught of questions. You'll need it!

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Thanks Hannah's Mom! I knew someone around here would have something valuable to input. *looks at KT*

I really like the save the best questions until bedtime bit.