Question...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<I>When your child peppers you with queries, interpret it as a call for attention. If you can stop whatever you're doing to play or talk with your child for a little while, you might cut down on some of the "whys."</I>

The exact point I was trying to make. <I>;)</I> [/COLOR]

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
When your child peppers you with queries, interpret it as a call for attention. If you can stop whatever you're doing to play or talk with your child for a little while, you might cut down on some of the "whys."[/I]</I>[/B]

The exact point I was trying to make. <I>;)</I> [/COLOR][/quote]

How am I supposed to give him attention when I'm running away from all the questions? lol

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
1) When your spouse comes home, does he relieve you of parenting duties for the night and weekend? heck no, my work gets harder because then I have to clean up after him. lol Seriously though, no my husband is not much help with Nichole on most days, Absolutly he will play with her for a bit or whatever but 80% of it is on me when he is home. Now as far as cooking or running errands, he will do those without a problem. He will give her her deserts on his days off before bed. I get her plate ready for dinner excpet tonight he did it, thats a first. I change all the diapers, I think he has changed her once in the past month.

2) Also, does your kid prefer to play with you or your husband? Be honest. right now, being the age our daughter is, she prefers me. But it is starting to shift slowly. She is wanting to play ball with him when he gets home (that's their thing) So I am sure as she gets older daddy will become more important to her

And I refuse to lower myself to Foosers level to respond to his comment about me

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="FooserX;17092"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;My son asks questions. Like…a lot of them. If I had a counter, I’ll bet he could easily ring up 200 – 500 questions on a full day. I am not kidding! It drives me insane. He’ll just follow me all day, and ask me things. Some things he even knows the answer to, but he’s just in question mode so he asks anyway. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Sometimes I ignore the meaningless questions. Sometimes I’ll ask him what he thinks the answer is to promote his own thought process. Sometimes I’ll work with him to discover the answers. Sometimes I say I don’t know. But for the most part, it’s just this relentless inquisition. I love my son, but after about 30 questions, I’m mentally drained….by 100&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;This is not even a complaining post to be funny. I seriously want to drive to an empty field and scream my head off.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I feel like I created this monster by teaching him too many things too soon, or always explaining things so he knows what is going on. And what bugs me most, is he won’t ask mom! He’ll ask me what Mom is doing, or what she’s having for dinner when she’s right in front of him! &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Has anyone else gone through this? Do they ever stop? Is there a trick to end this? &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/quote]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

I think you should give factually correct answers that don't encourage further inquiry.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
"Why is the sky blue?" - atmospheric dust refracts the light from the sun causing a wavelength change. That's also why the sky goes red at sunset - the light comes in at a steeper angle which refracts the light even more.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Other than that, it's perfectly acceptable to say "That's a silly question. Stop bugging me."&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Or... answer every question with "Well... what do YOU think?"&lt;/r&gt;

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Kaytee said:
1) When your spouse comes home, does he relieve you of parenting duties for the night and weekend? heck no, my work gets harder because then I have to clean up after him. lol Seriously though, no my husband is not much help with Nichole on most days, Absolutly he will play with her for a bit or whatever but 80% of it is on me when he is home. Now as far as cooking or running errands, he will do those without a problem. He will give her her deserts on his days off before bed. I get her plate ready for dinner excpet tonight he did it, thats a first. I change all the diapers, I think he has changed her once in the past month.

ermmmmm.... Does he work exceptionally long hours?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
FooserX said:
When he gets to question 28, I just look at him and replay that TV commercial in my head over and over - "It's never okay to shake a baby. It's never okay to shake a baby."

I have a couple of questions for stay at home mom's:

1) When your spouse comes home, does he relieve you of parenting duties for the night and weekend? not totally no. He gets up with the baby on the weekends and splits the duties thoughout the night

2) Also, does your kid prefer to play with you or your husband? Be honest.
honestly...they play equally with both of us, we try to do everything as a family. Ryan does everything from arts and crafts to baking with us, we play games, watch movies, and read stories all as a family
:)

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
FooserX said:
When he gets to question 28, I just look at him and replay that TV commercial in my head over and over - "It's never okay to shake a baby. It's never okay to shake a baby."

I have a couple of questions for stay at home mom's:

1) When your spouse comes home, does he relieve you of parenting duties for the night and weekend?

I thought I'd answer this from a working-dad's perspective:

1) When I get home dinner is usually already on the table or half-finished. Then I take the kids outside while we pour last night's bath water on the plants. Then I take the kids inside and jump in the bath with them while my wife goes to the gym. Then I sit down on the couch with them and read books while they have milk (it's mostly a ritual thing now, they don't even care about the milk anymore, it's little more than a tiny sip). Then I go and brush my teeth while they're brushing theirs (tip: brushing your teeth at the same time as the kids helps you remember to do it shortly after dinner every night and means they learn how to do it by watching you). Then I read a book to the little kid while the big kid waits in his room. Then I go and read a book to the big kid unless my wife has gotten back from the gym at this stage, in which case she'll read him a book.

That's basically it. It works different each night, but that's the basic story.

Isn't it normal that you become a father the instant you walk in through the front door?? Have I misunderstood the question?

Now... my wife doesn't stop being a Mum just because I'm home - but as I see it I should be shouldering half the burden when I get home, right?? That's fair isn't it?

2) My kids are constantly playing. They play with whoever is available. But thankfully they're getting old enough to play with each other a fair bit of the time. I guess that I do some play each night as a way to catch up - I get terribly guilty if I have to be late from work too many times in a row...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
evilbrent said:
ermmmmm.... Does he work exceptionally long hours?
Yes he works 10 1/2 hour shifts plus usually gets anywhere from 2-5 hours overtime a night. BUT he has 3 days off instead of 2. So that is nice, but he works nights so most of the time he sleeps during the days and gets up in the late afternoon.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I get more in depth with the answering questions the older they get. I don't think I would go as far as "atmospheric pressure" or what have you but I try and explain things scientifically or medically. You will know how much of an answer they can take. I also ask them "is there anything else you need to know or any other questions" and usually the answer is no.
Wait till you get the "what's sex mean" question. Oye, I got that one last night. *shaking head*

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
musicmom said:
I get more in depth with the answering questions the older they get. I don't think I would go as far as "atmospheric pressure" or what have you but I try and explain things scientifically or medically. You will know how much of an answer they can take. I also ask them "is there anything else you need to know or any other questions" and usually the answer is no.
Wait till you get the "what's sex mean" question. Oye, I got that one last night. *shaking head*
oh no...poor mama:eek:

What did you say?????

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I do the whole what do you think most of the time. If I'm feeling bombarded I'll wait for the next question then follow it up with several of my own questions for her. Usually around my third or fourth question she turns me off and I can get back to what I was doing. Thats what works best here.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Since my six year old girl asked me I told her "its when a husband and a wife lay really close together and make a baby"
That was the end of it.
Now..........when my seven year old son asked me I had to get in more detail of how a man and a womans body fit together for the purpose of making a baby. Then the questions came flooding in.......Oh just wait! Sadly I had to fight back laughter because I thought I was in a really bad after school special. :)

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
musicmom said:

Yah, I got the where do babies come from question in the car a few months ago. I just said "Hey! Look at that fox over there!"

That made him forget what he asked.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
1) When your spouse comes home, does he relieve you of parenting duties for the night and weekend?

My spouse doesn't come home. He works 16 hour days.

He prefers me.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
&gt;&gt;&gt;2) Also, does your kid prefer to play with you or your husband? Be honest.

He prefers me.

I think that's because he's still a baby. It's the mommy bond. Wait until he gets to be 3 or so, and see if that is still the same.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
When Bradley was around 2, my wife asked him who he liked better at the dinner table. I was like "wtf???"

lol...

I think she felt that since she was mom, that he would automatically pick her...and she wanted to show me who was the best parent.

He immediately answered "papi!" Hahaha...the look on her face was awesome. That'll teach you mom!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
FooserX said:
I think that's because he's still a baby. It's the mommy bond. Wait until he gets to be 3 or so, and see if that is still the same.
He is ALWAYS going to be a mommy's boy.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
No DH doesn't take over. I dont ask him to. He just worked a 12 hr shift and drove an hour each way that doesn't really seem fair.

My DH is the favorite. I try to make it that way. I want him to be fun daddy since the kids dont get to see him that much. I dont really care who is the "favorite" anyway. It's not a contest to me its my family.