Question...

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
musicmom said:
Normally a child prefers the same sexed parent. That's going by statistics.
Assuming there is one present-there is nothing wrong with a boy being closer to his mom or vice versa, especially in an absent parent situation. Since I was raised that way, I am very good at keeping a clean living area, caring for children, being in touch with feelings, etc etc....I didn't really know anything about sports until I came to college-now I know all about sports and love them!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
Normally a child prefers the same sexed parent. That's going by statistics.
Early on in a child's life the opposite parent is the most important to a child. I'd like to see those statistics if you have them.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I think he meant what they prefer. Yes the opposite parent will mold the child far more as young children, not as infants

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
<r><QUOTE author="Lissa;17432"><s>
Lissa said:
</s>Early on in a child's life the opposite parent is the most important to a child. I'd like to see those statistics if you have them.<e>
</e></QUOTE>
Children 4–6 years of age were asked which parent they would be when they were older, whether they could be the opposite-sexed parent, and whether they liked their mothers or fathers best. For comparison, a sample of adults were asked these same questions. All but one of the 144 children said they would be the same-sexed parent. Few children said they could switch and be the opposite-sexed parent. These responses did not indicate a simple age trend. Younger children preferred the same-sexed parent, whereas older children and adults tended to prefer their mothers.<br/>
This research was supported, in part, by Public Health Service grant MH 17072 to P. M. Bentler.</r>

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Kaytee said:
I think he meant what they prefer. Yes the opposite parent will mold the child far more as young children, not as infants

This definitely ties back to the thread about kids with one parent, and that one crazy who said it had no negative impact on them.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
no negative impact not having both parents? I think I remember that thread but it's been awhile

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I can only speak from my experience and I can say I was raised by only a mother and I am fine and my children are VERY smart. I think I am a stronger parent because my mother did it all!
My father was in and out of my life and stopped completely when the child support stopped, don't think I didn't notice. I didn't need my mother to point it out because I caught on at a young age. I knew my mother had my back and I was safe.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
oh we are not saying that kids of one parents can't be better off then if they had two. I had both in a sense, but my mother was a crack head (literally) so my dad was my main source of support.
It's more of there are disadvantages to a child that has one great parent compared to two great parents. It's just more support for the child.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
We will have to agree to disagree on this subject. Two great parents can still raise a nut job! lol

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
I can only speak from my experience and I can say I was raised by only a mother and I am fine and my children are VERY smart. I think I am a stronger parent because my mother did it all!
My father was in and out of my life and stopped completely when the child support stopped, don't think I didn't notice. I didn't need my mother to point it out because I caught on at a young age. I knew my mother had my back and I was safe.
Feel free not to answer this question if it's too personal. Have you ever been treated for depression or anxiety? Surely you must have abandonment issues with your father.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Lissa said:
Feel free not to answer this question if it's too personal. Have you ever been treated for depression or anxiety? Surely you must have abandonment issues with your father.

Not everyone is :censored: up like you

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I had post pardum depression from having twin girls which was six years ago and then I had to deal with anxiety from living with an alcoholic husband who is now gone.

LMAO at Fooser (get em")

I may have had abandonment issues as a child that I don't remember now, I don't remember "missing" him. I remembered him when I had children thinking it would be nice for him to see my children but then I'm smart enough to know it's his loss and I have lost nothing.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
I had post pardum depression from having twin girls which was six years ago and then I had to deal with anxiety from living with an alcoholic husband who is now gone.

LMAO at Fooser (get em")
I had PPD too. It's horrible, ain't it?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Yes it was horrible. No one ever told me about it. All I knew was something wasn't right. I told my male Dr and he said to try and get some sleep but I knew it was something bigger then lack of sleep so I made an apt with a psychiatrist and she actually called the male Dr. and told him "don't you EVER f*n send a new mother out of your office with PPD" She tore him a new one. He was a young Dr and I guess didn't understand it's severity. It took less then a year to stop but it was confusing. I had alot on my plate though too. I had a 13 month old and twin newborns and a drunk for a husband. When he got out of the house when they were five months old, I started to get better.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
Yes it was horrible. No one ever told me about it. All I knew was something wasn't right. I told my male Dr and he said to try and get some sleep but I knew it was something bigger then lack of sleep so I made an apt with a psychiatrist and she actually called the male Dr. and told him "don't you EVER f*n send a new mother out of your office with PPD" She tore him a new one. He was a young Dr and I guess didn't understand it's severity. It took less then a year to stop but it was confusing. I had alot on my plate though too. I had a 13 month old and twin newborns and a drunk for a husband. When he got out of the house when they were five months old, I started to get better.
I knew about PPD and I was watching for it because I have a history of depression. Funny because I was completely fine without meds during my whole pregnancy. I started getting symptoms of PPD within hours after Oliver was born. I didn't sleep for days and was hallucinating. It was the most horrible time in my life. I was alone all day every day with this screaming infant, completely delusional, and nobody once checked in on me. Not my family, not the hospital, not my husband.

While at Oliver's first well child visit I broke down in the doctor's office. He said I might have PPD so gave me Zoloft. Zoloft did nothing but make me a zombie. I tried calling the doctor every day for about a week and the nurses kept telling me to call back at a different time. I even expressed my concerns to my husband, but that didn't stop him from leaving for work every morning. I was scared shitless every time he'd leave.

I finally got on the right medication but had to quit breastfeeding which was very hard for me to do. When Oliver was 5 months old I bottomed out and was hospitalized for 6 days.

God I wish I could forget all that.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Oh my gosh that's horrible. I'm so sorry. I didn't hallucinate thank goodness but I could see it going into that. They put me on Lexapro and I loved it. I wish I were friends with you I would have no let you alone. Isn't it amazing how people do not take it serious. Unless you've been through it there is no way to explain to someone how terrifying it is.