Reading Habits...

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
Lot of kids these days have poor reading habits. Thanks to computers, that they spend all their free time on it. How do you encourage your child to read more. How do you make them enjoy reading. Please share your views.

GigglesNStuff

Aug 2, 2012
To create the love of reading, children need to be exposed to books through you. If you read and share what you're reading, they may want to pick up a book and share what they read.
I'm not sure how old your children are, but with mine I started a ritual of a book right before bedtime when they were around 3. Every night I would read to them to help them go to sleep. Reading therefore became a habit, and we kept it up even through elementary school. Once they found their favorite types books, it made it easy for them to get excited about going to bookstores and picking new reading material. I can honestly that my children are still avid readers and very good writers. I believe reading has improved their communication skills. Technology of course has also found its way into their reading habits. Now my daughter reads off a nook instead of paper books, but I think it good that technology has adapted to help further their interests.

Cartter

Sep 10, 2012
new york
Restrict the number of hours to be spent on computers, make it like 1 or 2 hours, then surely he will be diverted to other thing then introduce him to comics and other good books. But be sure about one thing, he shouldn't get the feel like you are burdening him up with books for the place of computers. Let the process be done gradually.

Michael L Cerda

Oct 1, 2012
To encourage reading in the household, my wife and I purchased children's books for both our daughter and son. With my daughter going to school last year (K-1) and reading more in the classroom, we encouraged evening reading sessions and the results were soo positive. At the end of the year we decided to get her a Kindle Fire, and she can't put it down when it comes to reading. Already this year in the 1st grade, she is ahead in her reading skills, we are soo proud. Our son will be 2 this December and he loves the electronic books for toddlers, where you push a button and the book describes or reads to the child, we also sit down with him and have him associate pictures to words.

Hopefully this sparks some ideas to encourage reading in your household. God Bless.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Those are all great ideas. I have always read a story to my children before bedtime, which they choose. I have three children, so I sometimes read them up to three stories, since they each are welcome to pick one if they want. The younger ones sometimes wander off, sometimes not.

I have found that my oldest (6) is a morning person, and does her best reading in the morning, rather than the evening. Since we have a long commute to school, I have her read a book to me on the way. I can hear her sound out words and assist her as needed, and of course she can spell them aloud if she is really struggling. We now keep several books in the car, as her reading skills improve and she finishes them faster. Well all this attention to reading in the car has led my younger kids to demand a book also, and they will sit in their car seats flipping through the pages! It's so cute. My baby will look at the pictures and baby-talk, like she is pretending to read. Sometimes I will ask my son to tell me what letters he sees, since he is working on letter recognition at home. I feel like this morning reading atmosphere has started the subject on a positive note. :)