Schedule feeding infants...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
yeah I thought I had it all figured out until my boy came along...he's a whole new ball game...lol

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
All 4 of my daughters are so different it's crazy. Josephine was an every two hours girl- I could set a clock by her. She was the only one that rigid with her schedule.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kaytee said:
There are many "doctors" out there (EZZO, Spock...) that say that you should feed a newborn every 3 hours, no sooner. That scheduling feeding is what you should do otherwise the baby wins. What are y our opinions on this?
<SIZE size="125">It can be very <U>dangerous</U> for breastfeeding babies to be fed on schedule. They need to be fed on demand.</SIZE>
Both my kids were LIVING (nursing NON-STOP) on my breast 24/7 for the first four months of life or so. Then they slowed down.</SIZE>[/FONT]

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
It can be very <U>dangerous</U> for breastfeeding babies to be fed on schedule. They need to be fed on demand.[/FONT][/SIZE]</SIZE>[/quote]
why dangerous? I've never heard that :confused:

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
It can be dangerous, for a few reasons:
1. if you schedule feed, you are risking not being able to produce enough milk and there fore not able to provide baby with enough food
2. It can be dangerous because it takes about an hour for breastmilk to digest and then the baby is very hungry. Risking weight loss and the like

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
fallon said:
why dangerous? I've never heard that :confused:
<SIZE size="125">By the time they hit the three hour mark, they can be dehydrated, their blood sugar can bee too low and they can be too lethargic to nurse properly (and then they have to wait another 2-3 hours which will make things even worse).</SIZE>

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I lucked out that mine was a schedules nurser by her own means. She was hungry about every 3 hours. Lucky me!! lol I bet I will have the marathon nurser for the next one though

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kaytee said:
I lucked out that mine was a schedules nurser by her own means. She was hungry about every 3 hours. Lucky me!! lol I bet I will have the marathon nurser for the next one though
every baby is different. but what is important is that it was <I><U>her</U></I> schedule.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
absolutly! I so agree. When she had growth spurts and the such she nursed more like every 1 1/2 hours to 2. But she was also a good nurser. 10 minutes on one side and she was done. When she got older (6 months to a year) it was more like 5 minutes. Then around 15 months, she started nursing more often (2 hours day and night, and I did put a stop to that. So I did wean her down to 3 times a day and night nursing when ever she wanted. She night weaned herself at about 18 months and we weaned fully at 22 months.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Mine all figured out their own schedules. Josephine was an every two hour baby, Isabella was more like every three, Hannah was about every three also, and Natalia is every three at night and every two during the day.